OH NO! AK-47s in SC!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The horror!

"The same type of gun commonly used by Iraqi security forces is legally being sold to civilians in Rock Hill."

"Surprised? Don't be. It's been happening for years in York County, and more stores are offering AK-47 assault rifles as their popularity grows among collectors since federal restrictions on their sales were lifted in 2004."

"But law enforcement officials say they've found shell casings at crime scenes recently, and gun-control advocates claim the guns weren't designed for retail sale." ...

"'AK-47s should not be available for sale. There's really no argument,' said Zach Ragbourn, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign ... 'They're designed to attack people, period. They're not for hunting or a fun collector's item.'" ...

http://keepandbeararms.com/news/nl/disp.asp?d=7/27/2007

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

opinions opinions like _______s. Evreybody has one.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

People are finding 7.62 casings at shootings? I think they've got it confused with .38 and 9mm.

4. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

See that wouldn't happen if people bought american :)

5. M249

M249 New Member

:rotfl:

6. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

I love how so called experts use subjective examples that can't be backed up.

One man's scary metal death machine is another man's fun collector's item :rotfl2:

7. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I'm amazed at how often people make an emotional arguement without looking for facts to support their case. I'm truly amazed.

8. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

And that is the exact reason I've bought all of my guns, for shooting (threating) people or training to do so.

9. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

.38? Do you really think thugs are arming themselves with wheel-guns instead of the almighty Glok-FoTay? Even if they are, are they likely to reload or just run like hell?

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, they "are being found." You see, journalists choose the passive voice when wanting to create a picture without leaving a trail that can be followed. Are being found by whom? Where? At crime scenes? Really? Which ones?

You see?

"It is believed that so and so is a bad person."

By whom?

Oh, many.

Why?

Well, bad things, obviously. So and so must be a bad person.

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Oops. I meant to type .380. :( Criminals can't afford .40

12. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

They are selling fully auto AK's in Rock Hill??

I'm so going there! :D

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Two Points

Obviously the folks in the media don't know the difference between the full-auto AKs being used in Iraq and the semi-auto versions being sold in the USA. The folks at the Brady Center do know, but they will not do anything to correct people's misunderstandings, if those misunderstandings cause panic and anti-gun hysteria.

Second point: It's true that AK-47s and SKS rifles and carbines ARE turning up with increasing regularity at crime scenes. Why? Maybe because they're good guns for urban combat, and that's what killers and thugs and robbing crews want? I think that's pretty accurate, and also let's recognize that plenty of regular law-abiding people like these guns too, for a variety of lawful purposes, but CRIMINALS GET MANY OF THEIR GUNS ON THE BLACK MARKET-- THOSE GUNS ARE STOLEN FROM PEOPLE LIKE US! So the more common AK-47s and AR-15s are among the general public in the USA, the more of them will get stolen by burglars and traded among various criminal types on the street, eventually ending up in the hands of hit men, killers, and gangsters.

30 years ago, the most common handgun for a criminal to be found with was a Smith and Wesson .38 special revolver. Why? It was also the most popular handgun in the USA during that time. The most popular shotgun that criminals would use, either sawed-off or full-length, was the Remington 870 or the Ithica pump action. Why? Because just about every home in America had one or the other!

14. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

Those damn folding stocks and bayonet lugs turn innocent looking guns into killing machines. :roll:

There is an argument, it's called the 2nd amendment. It's in the bill of rights. There is also the natural right to self defense. As well as the argument of an armed populace keeping government in check.