OH: Man charged with straw purchase in murder of police

Discussion in 'In the News' started by UtiPossidetis, Feb 12, 2018.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

2. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Wow - they are actually going to prosecute a straw purchase?

3. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Only because it was a special class of victim

4. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Helping a felon or other prohibited person get a gun, which is then used in a major felony crime??

Yeah, prosecute that.
    I’ve got no problem with the killer’s buddy doing time in prison over this.

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Is a "major felony crime" of murder more heinous than a "felony crime" of murder? Apparently it is when the victims are more than ordinary citizens. The procession from the Franklin County coroner's office looked more like a show of force than a show of mourning. The funerals will be sights to behold. Glad we don't have a caste system in this country.

As for prosecuting the straw buyer, it's never been a big deal at the federal level so this is nothing more than kabuki theater for the ignorant.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The feds prosecute straw purchasers when the gun is found in the possession of serious criminals or gangsters. The only time the feds DON'T prosecute such crimes, when they know about them, is when there's a situation of "no harm, no foul." The ultimate transferee of the gun wasn't really that bad of a dude, and nobody is even alleging that the gun was intended for some new crime, and it's really just a case of Bo Duke getting Daisy to buy him a shotgun to protect his trailer home, since he can't buy his own gun directly due to that moonshine tax evasion conviction from 1976.

Why do you think that the fact that cops were victims in this case is a key fact?
    You don't think the feds would go after a straw purchaser who knowingly helped a killer of the clerk at a liquor store get the murder weapon?

7. gunsmoker

Really? Is there anything behind your tinfoil-hat anti-government rant to back that up, or is it just wild speculation on your part?
    If the straw buyer had helped a prohibited person get a handgun, and then the bad guy robs a QuickyMart and kills Apu who works the night shift, and the feds find out about all this, you don't think ATF and the U.S. Attorney's office would go after the straw buyer ?

8. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Less than 1% of all known straw purchases are prosecuted. Way less. IIRC, the last the figure I saw was 22 out of 30,000.

9. moe mensale

I'll start by agreeing with AtlPhilip's comment.

On to the cops. When anything happens that involves cops, you can be sure that more resources will be thrown at the incident than if a non-cop was involved. Especially if a cop is shot or murdered. It's as if they're sending a message of "don't f*ck with us because we're the cops and you will respect us."

Look at the words you yourself used. A "major felony crime." Why is the qualification necessary? Murder is murder.

10. gunsmoker

I see the figure as 44 federal prosecutions for 48,000 known incidents of straw purchases.

But, how many of those 48,000 were prosecuted at the state level for related crimes?

And how many of the 48,000 were basically like Luke Duke getting Cooter to buy a new shotgun for him, since it’s kinda hard to hunt quail with archery gear?
    Again, no harm; no foul.

11. gunsmoker

Moe, I said when straw buyers assist in supplying a gun used in a major felony crime, they get prosecuted. Not just killing cops. Not just murder of any kind of victim. I’m including attempted murders, shootings, carjackings, armed robbery, and kidnappings at gunpoint.

I thought that was obvious.
    How strange that you’d think that I said only killing cops rises to “major” felony level.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't there a case on here recently about a guy buying a gun for his uncle, who may have been an LEO, and being prosecuted for a straw purchase, no harm no foul?

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

IIRC that a a SCOTUS case 2-3 years ago. Or some case very similar.

Nemo

14. moe mensale

Are not all felony crimes are considered "major" crimes? Otherwise they'd be misdemeanors or infractions. Murder, rape kidnapping, etc are all viewed as severe crimes against society. They don't require modifiers.

But for some reason, when those crimes involve police, more often than not they become far more serious. Or "major" as you put it. Remember this from a couple of years ago?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/0...betrayal-illinois-cop-who-staged-suicide.html

Do you believe the police would have expended those resources for a non-cop's murder? Don't tell me there's not a caste system in this country when it involves the cops and you're perpetuating it, intentionally or not, by the use of certain terms.

15. gunsmoker

Holy $#^*, Moe, did you seriously just claim that all felonies are “major” crimes, and thus when I said “ major felonies” I must have meant felonies against our overlords, the State’s agents?

Did you know passing a bad check and failing to make it good within 10 days is a felony?

Did you know that letting a friend take a toke from your pot-filled bong or hookah is a felony?

When a tree service cuts down a rotted tree in a customer’s front yard and, instead of paying $300 to dump the logs in a landfill, they dump the rotting wood in the woods behind an industrial park— that’s a felony.

Selling a copy of some copyrighted movie or music is a felony. Even if you sold it for $1 to a good friend, and you only charged a buck to pay for the DVD disk.

16. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Many things that are felonies are joke. The word has no meaning now.

17. moe mensale

You're funny. No, really! :lol: