Oh crap

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by viper32cm, Jan 31, 2007.

1. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

"The Child Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2007" H.R. 256
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.00256:
    Long story short no "semi-auto assautl weapons" for those under 21. I love the subtle change in language. It was first assault weapons were semi-automatic rifles with X features, now we have semi-auto assault weapons with the semi-auto modifiying the assault weapon, that implies that repeating assault weapons or even single shot assault weapons could be possible. And children have to be 18 to go to a gun show unattended; i guess someones afraid the kids might get brainwashed.

Ban on toy handguns H.R. 428
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.00428:

"The NICS improvement act" H.R. 297
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.00297:

“The Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2007,†H.R. 96
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.00096:
    Says Alan Korwin of HR 96:

“Under the original draft, currently legal gun shows are outlawed without prior federal permission. Gun show promoters must agree to warrantless searches in order to operate, and may be arrested if private citizens talk at the show about gun sales they wish to complete away from the show. The right to assemble peaceably at a gun show or even plan for one, carries stiff prison terms unless federal licenses are issued in advance. I am not making this up.

“Massive new bureaucracy is created because all shows and their exhibitors must be registered 30 days before the show, then again 72 hours before the show, and again five days after the show. That’s in addition to registering anyone who walks in, plus “any other information†the Secretary of the Treasury decides, by regulation, is necessary on vendors, attendees, and the show itself.â€

These aren't laws yet, I don't even think they've made it out of committee, but just a reminder that our rights(privileges may be more accurate now) exist in a very thin line at the federal level.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This seems to have been missed in the other thread. I compared the current law to the bill, and it appears this would apply the exact same law that is applicable now to handguns and those under 21 to semi auto "assault weapons."

In other words, 18-20 year olds could not longer buy or possess these long arms, at least not without a note from your mommy and daddy. (That is not a joke, even though it sounds like one).

Seriously. Read 18 USC 922(x) in its current form. Everywhere it says "handgun" now will add this assault weapon language.

3. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

All the way down the slippery slope. This is a far more stealthy way to accomplish gun control goals than out right bans (not saying those won't happen still).

You know I just wish they'd change that age of majority back to 21, so at least that'd be in line with the other restrictions out there (drinking, handgunds, etc).

4. gariders

gariders New Member

simi auto

So, the old simi-auto 22 rifle that we gave our kids for Christmas is now toast.......... :?:

5. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Hmmm, that's odd. There's 18-20 year olds with full auto AR-15s and SAWs in Iraq. :screwy:

6. Malum Prohibitum

Read the bill and the existing statute. :D It has an exemption for youngsters in the military :wink: which would include, by the way, people younger then 18 (I went in at 17).

7. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

So that exemption will let an 18 year old in the Air Force purchase a Ruger 10/22 from the local store if he's in the military? (just askin'...couldn't find the statute).

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. jgullock

jgullock Active Member