Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
The boy, Kameron Prescott, was inside the trailer, although Salazar said deputies didn't know anyone was at the home in the San Antonio suburb of Schertz.

Salazar said Jones tried to break into several homes at the trailer park in an effort to evade authorities before she came to the home where Kameron was inside with other family members.
"Tragic accident" my ass. More like gross incompetence on the deputies part. I guess they never heard of Rule #4. Or just didn't care.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
That's awful, I hope if I ever get into that situation, someone will show me mercy

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,617 Posts
The suspect had made death threats against the police and officer swear that she grab the dark object that look like a weapon to them .

Now let's just assume for the moment that the police were reasonably and genuinely believing that she had a handgun . Let's assume that the cops did not just kill her because they were sick of chasing her, and made up this gun story later to justify the killing .

Real fleeing felon, real threats, and what looks like a real gun coming out .

But this suspect who is pulling a gun on the cops happens to be positioned right in front of somebody's home !

So are cops wrong to shoot ?

What about you are you the private citizen with a GWL : should you withhold your fire when the suspect threatening you and trying to mug you or kidnap you has a home behind him? Or a road with cars driving on it?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,617 Posts
Plant Tree Gesture Font Woody plant
Imagine an escaped armed robber is the subject of a manhunt. You have a description . A person matching that description to a "T" rushes toward you with a gun in his hand, raised at you sideways, gansta style.

Like this pic.

So do you shoot?

Let's say you just walked right past that house before the gunman confronted you.
You know it's there. Right behind the robber, with only a few scrawny trees and bushes - nothing you can count on to stop Bullets.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
You are responsible for every round that leaves your gun. If you choose to shoot with a home as a backdrop expect to be charged if you injure or kill someone in the home.

There is zero moral justification for killing an innocent third party to save your own life.

Reactions: moe mensale

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
There's nothing preventing the cops - nor you as an armed citizen - from moving off the "X" to get a better position on your intended target and to minimize any potential collateral damage.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
So are cops wrong to shoot ?
So Jeff Cooper's rules don't apply to cops?

I really want prosecutors and defense lawyers to draw from a common pool. Wins are the only measurement. It would fix the pro-cop bias you have unfortunately been trained for.

Reactions: EJR914

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,617 Posts
worthless post, Craftsman.

How about addressing the real topic instead of childishly accusing others of bias?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,617 Posts
Craftsman, I see you won’t address my scenario, my pic, or the question of whether YOU would rigidly follow Coopers 4 rules of firearms safety when a bad guy pulls a gun on you.

Your silence speaks volumes.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Less than ten minutes equals implicit acceptance? No, I am not blaming cops. I am blaming prosecutors that blindly accept cop magic words: :" I feared for my life because the drunk guy who committed no crime couldn't follow impossible instructions"

"The toddler shouldn't have been visiting the wrongly accused drug dealer's house. We had to throw a grenade on his face."

Not cop bashing, just expecting that the actual words in the Constitution have meaning.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
worthless post, Craftsman.

How about addressing the real topic instead of childishly accusing others of bias?
Now unless I'm wrong, I believe you (or some mysterious, invisible force) deleted one of your posts I was replying to. Something about you purposely turning this into a cop bashing thread or something. Very strange.

Anyway, remember this from a few years ago?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25/nypd-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire.html

All nine people wounded during a dramatic confrontation between police and a gunman outside the Empire State Building were struck by bullets fired by the two officers, police said Saturday, citing ballistics evidence.
Two cops, one perp, nine bystanders all shot by the cops. And what was the response by police leadership?

"I believe it was handled well," [Police Commissioner] Kelly said.
Any of us lowly "non-professionals" in that scenario would have been hauled off to jail and charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, endangerment or something.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,617 Posts
Hey, I just noticed this thread is in the Off-Topic forum.
So the O.P. (Or the moderators) correctly recognized it as just another cop-bashing thread with no relevance for us gun-packers with carry permits.

Flash-banging baby cribs; crawl to me; NYPD sending bullets ricocheting around Manhattan— everybody feel free to vent about how bad those cops are, based on stuff you read about months or years ago.
Somebody needs to cite Ruby Ridge and Waco, to make this thread complete.

If anybody wanted an intelligent discussion about the risks of shooting a bad guy when buildings or vehicles are in the background...

Nah.

Nobody wants that discussion.

Let’s go back into your comfort zone: Freakin’ barbaric cops be power-trippin’ and killin’ peeps left and right!

·
Like a Boss
3,034 Posts
If anybody wanted an intelligent discussion about the risks of shooting a bad guy when buildings or vehicles are in the background...

Nah.

Nobody wants that discussion.
Nobody agrees with you. That's not the same as not having the discussion.

It's reckless to put rounds into a residential building whose occupants are unknown and whose construction will not stop bullets. It's also contrary to the rules of gun safety that (we hope) every new shooter learns and obeys. It's not "cop bashing" to criticize the specific police officers who acted recklessly and contrary to gun safety rules and killed a 6 year old child as a result.

In your hypothetical, moving is better than shooting not just because you don't want to put innocent bystanders at risk, but also because unless you're Jerry Miculek (in which case, go ahead and shoot because you won't miss) you're not going to outdraw the gangbanger whose gun is already in your face.

But it's also not a valid comparison. Private citizens (presumably) don't go chasing down gangbangers, and in your scenario the attacker came at you with a gun. In the actual story, the police were the pursuers, and as such had much more control over the time and place of engagement. We recognize that the risk of innocent bystanders being hurt is not always worth arresting a suspect at the soonest possible moment, which is why many agencies don't do police chases anymore. It's not totally clear, but the way I read the article, the police knew the identity of the suspect, which could have given them options for apprehending her that were not "start a gunfight in a residential area".

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
GoDores, I clicked the like button on your post above. I agreed with all of the salient and succinct points you made.

Reactions: AtlPhilip

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
{rant snipped}
Kurt, your latest volley of posts have been bitter, insulting, and deliberately inflamatory. And many of the recipients have done nothing to deserve such vitriol. Unless your goal is to join SongDog or Bdee on the Group W bench, you may wish to consider taking a break from GPDO.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts