Officer Accused Of Speeding, Tailgating Through School Zone

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by bondrm, Nov 3, 2007.

1. bondrm

bondrm Guest

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14499091/detail.html

(I always forget to put the links on here)

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Not about firearms in the news.

Moved to OT.

3. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Yeah that Atlanta officer didn't get issued a speeding citation. BUT that Cobb officer sent an offical report to her Internal Affairs at Atlanta PD. That is worse than a ticket. A ticket simply gets paid and is off your record in a few years. Anything investigated by IA stays in your record forever and can effect promotion. And as you can see an offical investigation is now under way.

So the Atlanta officer didn't get special treatment like the news would lead you to believe. She actually got worse than a ticket.

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

She sure did get special treatment. So what if he gets investigated. She should have been ticketed/fined just like everyone else would have been. I guarantee she flashed her badge and got out of it, just like they all do..

And when did this "official report" get sent to internal affairs? Probably right after the citizens complained about it.

5. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

The Atlanta officer was in an Atlanta Police Crusier and in uniform. No flashing of badge needed. An investigation by IA is worse than a ticket from what I was told when I talked to an officer about the situtation. I don't know when the report was sent. From what I was told it was that same day.

All police reports are public information. Anyone can go request it just so everyone knows.

6. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Re: Officer Accused Of Speeding, Tailgating Through School Z

Idiots on cell phones :shock: would have been a good excuse if she would have ran over a kid. :cry:

7. Pede

Pede New Member

Officer Accused of Speeding

I know how it works. A friend of mine at work is married to a cop. His department (Forest Park) issues window decals which indicate that the person driving is an immediate family member of the cop. She has told me numerous time how she speeds and when stopped, is let go because of the decal and just told to hold it down. She brags about it all the time. This might be a good news story for our local investigative reporters.....hummmm.

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

My fiance is a cop. Cops don't get tickets. I don't know about window stickers though...

It's aggravating going out with her cop friends. Mostly armed, in prohibited places to the rest of us. Usually drinking as well.

9. merlock

merlock Active Member

](*,) :bsflag: :banghead:

10. Macktee

Macktee New Member

You people are acting like someone just discovered gravity or something.

Everybody, at least I thought everybody, KNOWS cops don't ticket other cops.

It's that professional courtesy thing. Ya know... Just like physicians don't rat out other doctors who just happen to kill their patients. It's that same professional courtesy thing... Hey! It's us against them! Or some similar rationalization...!

Unfortunately, I never found any benefit, as far as professional courtesy goes, from one automotive company engineer to another...

Ooh! Ooh! Ooops! I almost forgot. I have received a few "durability testing" parts that just happened to match those that had crapped out on my vehicles... Maybe not quite the same thing, but I'll take whatever I can get!

And so would the rest of you...!!!

So ease off the cop. If you were a cop, you'd expect the same treatment... and, you'd get it!!!

It just goes to prove the system still works.

:righton:

11. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

So do you think that cops issue citations every time they make a stop? The answer is no.

The fact that a report was done on a simple traffic stop means that something official was done departmentally.

As far as window decals, they don't get the deference that many people think they do. Most of us completely ignore them completely.

Suppose I stop one of y'all for something (and don't give me a line that you never violate a traffic law), and I somehow discover that you are a GCO member. Would it be okay with you if I cut you a break and gave a warning, or do you demand that I scratch out a citation?

12. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Now I can agree with some of the more minor traffic violations being let go, I have had a couple warning over the years for 5 over or a rolling stop without anyone else around (except that LEO I did not see).

But come on speeding in a school zone while on the cell phone. If it is true that this is worse than a ticket for her good, but it does make you wonder when they sent that out. If it was that same day, Hooah for that officer. If it was after word got out then :bsflag:

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

If I broke a law, I shouldn't simply get away with it. It doesn't matter how much I agree/disagree with a certain law. There are other ways to go about getting something changed.

14. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Excellent points gentlemen. I also agree with David's assessment that a report to internal affairs sounds much worse than a traffic citation. If I had to guess I would say the officer turned in that report on his own, not due to pressure from any media/public. Sure, some folks probably saw the officer pull the other officer over, but they would have no way to know he didn't issue a citation. Besides, if the report was turned in the same day there would have been no time for the lib media or for a public outcry to have initiated such action on the part of the report writing officer. To be honest, I can't believe it was done same day anyway. Good for him. I would think if the officer wasn't going to do something meaningful he would have not even pulled the other cop over in the first place. He has some pretty good sized balls to do so and should be patted on the back.

15. legacy38

If I scratched out a citation for every violation I saw, the local courts would have to add another judge and support staff just for my court cases alone.

Citations for most violations are at the discretion of the officer.

16. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

When I talked to an officer about the situation it was friday during the work day, as in the 2nd of November, it was the same day of this article (actually prior to the acticle coming out). And at that point I was told a report was sent to IA at APD. The article says it was posted at 5:05pm on Nov 2nd. However the incident actually occured on Tuesday the 30th. That gives plenty of time to fill out a report and have it turned in prior to it coming out in the news. However the impression I got was that the report was made the same day the offense occured.

In this situation I have to say it looks like the professional thing was done.

Hey, Legacy38 would you rather simply have a ticket citation or an offical report sent to your IA and have them investigate?

17. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I've been with my cop fiance twice when I was pulled over for speeding. Both times she offered to "badge me out of it". Both times I said "hell no", handed over my license, and both times I got a ticket. Perhaps the officer would let me off the hook, perhaps not... they didn't. I consider it unethical to avoid a ticket KNOWING that if you show something you'll get out of it. Especially something you know only certain "priveleged" people have.

I took my 2 tickets, paid my 400$, accepted my insurance probably going up soon and walked away with my ethics intact. To each their own.

18. legacy38

The results would be equally bad to some degree. I would have a chance of beating the ticket in court, and it would drop off of my driving record in time. A reprimand would stay in my personnel file indefinitely.

19. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Write me a ticket! Dammit, I expect it!

I expect a full-on felony stop, too! Call for backup! Slam my face into the concrete! Taze me, bro!

:lol:

20. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

legacy, next he will be asking for a strip search and body cavity :shock: :shock: