Officer accidentally shoots Assistant Chief

Discussion in 'In the News' started by USMC - Retired, May 7, 2007.

1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=6474661

:shock:

Oh yeah.... must be another one of those professionally trained guys. You know, the ones that are "experts" in arms and the reason we shouldn't worry about our safety?...

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

How about the procedure of not pointing your gun at people you don't intend to shoot?

When I lived in AL a couple of years ago, a cop shot and killed another officer by playing "quick draw" with each other (!) in the parking lot after a training session.

This thread deserves the "Professional Enough" award:
    [​IMG]

3. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

For some reason!!!!

Gee, I bet he was cleaning a GLOCK. You ask why I say such a horrible thing. While glocks seem to be no more dangerous than any other gun I have always had to question WHY do you have to pull the trigger to take a glock appart???????

Let the games begin..................................................
    :woohoo:

4. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

I mourn the loss of a human being and fellow officer via tragic and preventable circumstances.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Most important word highlighted.

6. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

I don't recall what other gun it is at the moment, but Glocks are not the only gun that you have to pull the trigger in order to clean them. Remember the four basic rules of firearm safety?.

As MP so clearly reminded us, it was preventable. How sad.

7. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

Forgive me!!!!

I did not mean to make trivial the fact that an officer lost his life. I mourn with you guys and hope that another tragedy can be averted because the officer that shot him will have to live with this the rest of his life.
    :handcuffs: :( :( :oops:

8. Dan H

Dan H New Member

SA XD

I always triple check the chamber when cleaning as I did last night when I got home. I agree, I dont like pulling the trigger either...

9. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Taurus MP145 - Have to pull trigger to remove slide.

10. tj2000

tj2000 Guest

I didn't know.

The only hand guns I have owned have been glocks and 1911's. One of the reasons I primarily own 1911's is you don't have to pull the trigger to dis-assemble them.
    Yes I know the argument that the best safety should be between the ears. But the sad fact is we humans need some help mechanicaly to prevent our or others demise and sometimes that doesnt help.
    [-o<

11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Re: I didn't know.

I agree. As humans we are inclined to be distracted sometimes and make mistakes. I don't have a problem with pulling the trigger on my glocks to clean them. It just has become second nature to me to drop the mag and check the chamber. Now having said that, I [-o< that I will never become distracted and make a mistake.

12. Axeman

Axeman New Member

You are right about having to pull the trigger, but on an XD you have to lock the slide all the way back before you can flip the lever to break it down. :righton: Unless you left the mag in with a round in it :shock: , you this would eject any round from the chamber and your chamber would be clear. This was a safety design in XDs. I am not sure if Glocks have the same feature, but I don't remember that to be the case.

I gotta say I have heard of atleast 4 or 5 instances of people shooting there hand while cleaning a Glock. Of course maybe the popularity of the brand makes it seem disproportionate.

But most importantly are the 4 laws of guns safety:

1. The gun is always loaded!
    2. Never point a gun at something you're not prepared to destroy!
    3. Always be sure of your target and what is behind it!
    4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!

I know most of us here know these, but then so should the officer, it never hurts to remind ourselves once in a while. :wink:

I hate hearing crap like this, it affects so many and it didn't have to happen.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I seriously doubt a PD would be usin gone, but has anyone here tried to field strip then reassemble a Ruger MK series? You pull the trigger once or twice to strip, and several times to reassemble. You also have to have a mag inserted when you pull the trigger if it's a later model.

14. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I have a MK I and I have to say it is the most agravating firearm I have ever owned for breaking down and putting back together. However, it shoots like a dream and is the first pistol I ever bought for myself so it will be with me till I'm gone, then the boy gets it....

15. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Ruger .22 auto's were designed to be shot not cleaned. You clean them when they stop working.

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

What a pointless loss of life. The officer that shot the other one is gonna be psychologically screwed up now.

17. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

My Taurus 24/7 has the same process. I believe most of the Taurus Semi-Autos have to pull the trigger to release the slide.

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I bet I can field strip and reassemble a Ruger Mk II series faster than 1911 and fairly close in speed to a glock.

I know a fellow MK2 enthusiast who video taped himself to prove he could strip it AND put back together in 30 seconds.

I do not mind the pulling the trigger thing so much, as long as it does not have a magazine disconnect safety on the firearm (like the MKIII does).