Off topic regarding vehicles

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Mighty Hd, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Mighty Hd

Mighty Hd New Member

How ironic today I thought after talking to a good friend of mine. I had a somewhat similar stop, but regarding other issues with my own vehicle when my wife and I were in GA not long ago.

Him and his wife just returned from vacation in Dillard / Hiawasee?. He told me about their story of getting pulled over.

He has a super nice beamer with really dark windows. I believe it was 5 -10 %?. The guy was a county sheriff, very polite. He was carrying but did not mention it.

Bottom line he got pulled for his windows too dark. The police officer did not ticket him, and basically told him to get it removed and something lighter put on.

With us living in Florida, he's has this car for a few years and officers here 99% of the time do not question the tint.

My question goes to GA LEO's.....If he were in fact issued a ticket, what is the fine/infraction amount? If he gets ticketed, does he simply pay the ticket and be done with it, or does he have to drive back to GA to get the windows "inspected" ?

I'd love to hear some answers from officers, not armchair commanders.

:D

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I roll with illegal tint. But I'm a GA resident.

Cops generally don't ticket people out of state here in Georgia. Take for instance, Florida. Florida allows 20%. The legal limit in GA is 35%. You can still get a ticket in Georgia even though your tint is perfectly legal in Florida. Kinda sucks if you have to go north from Florida. In fact, Georgias tint law was thrown out for a year since it, at that time, only applied to GA drivers. Now it applies to everyone, to be fair or whatever.

Tickets cost vary by where you get them. You don't need a safety inspection. If they catch you again, you'll just get another ticket. It's like not wearing a seatbelt. It's not a uniform cost across the state.

3. Mighty Hd

Mighty Hd New Member

Yeah I also came across that news article stating about the window tint for everyone to be fair.

So if I understand you right, you simply pay the fine and go on your merry way?

I think in Florida they require it to be inspected?

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

In Florida, they may require it to be inspected if you want a lesser fine. In Georgia, I bet there are some counties that will reduce the fine if you fix it and have proof. It's not a super serious ticket. If you get caught for a busted tail light, it's not like they require you to drive to the police station to prove that you fixed it. You just pay the ticket, keep on driving with the blown tail light and if you get caught again, you pay it again.

It's just window tint. Just another reason I can't pimp my car the way I want because of "officer safety". But the cops can have as dark of tint as they want :?

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... light=tint

Check the link! This is an outrage!

I am tired of hypocritical laws, like this one in the link and all gun control laws. Same issue. Government exemptions . . .

Getting a ticket for window tint from an officer with the exact same window tint on his patrol car while he is writing the ticket is like getting arrested for carrying a firearm at a public gathering by a police officer who is carrying a firearm at a public gathering . . .

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

A Bimmer is a car, a Beemer is a motorcycle.

FYI :p

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

:roll: Don't be absurb! The police officer is the only one on the streets professional enough to handle that much tint.

8. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I speak from recent experiance in Clayton county on 675..... They pulled me over, at which time all windows were immediately rolled down. Given an warning, verbal stuff about fixing it and off on my merry way.

My boss got a good laugh, said are they crazy? Guess so.....

I never have any issues in FL and I visit my family in Orlando often. Never a peep. And I have never had issues in Gwinnett either. And I see the police everyday in traffic and everyday driving here. Seems only south of Atlanta. Not even APD takes a second look.

Cobb County, I usually get looked at for a bit, but they havent pulled me over.....yet.

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The original window tint law only applied to GA residents. The court struck it down because it didn't apply across the board to any motorist in GA. Something else has been passed in its place, but since I would be hard pressed to make a stop for it much less right a ticket I haven't really familiarized myself with the new law.

10. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

When I was younger, I had two layers of tinting on my car. I was definitely in violation of Florida tint law, but being both cool and cool was more important to me. I only was pulled over once for the tint, and the officer tried to make me start stripping it off on the spot. I told him "nope, I had it professionally installed, I'll have it professionally removed". He wrote me a ticket along with some form that required I have a LEO sign off on the removal. I got a friend's uncle who was a LEO to sign it for me and sent it in.

Only time it was ever mentioned to me, even when I got pulled over for speeding or the one time for a noise violation (did I mention my entire hatchback at the time was car stereo equipment - yes I was one of those people).

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

And +1

13. Mighty Hd

Mighty Hd New Member

How much would the fine have been?

Looking @ GA laws my own vehicle would technically be in "violation" :(