Off hours school bus off-limits?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by jdh31313, Oct 5, 2010.

1. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

Is a school bus used to carry passengers from a parking area to a festival off-limits? The busses are owned by the county, will be used outside of school hours and off school grounds for the purpose of carrying passengers from satellite parking lots to the festival. It seems to me that this wouldn’t be an off-limits situation, but I could be wrong. What say you?

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

16-11-127.1

https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... tion=127.1

3. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

I guess I'm wrong...Oh well, looks as if I shall walk. I know we have come a long way but we still have a ways to go in order to get the laws in this state fixed.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

There are a bunch of exceptions in the law, but let's assume none of them apply to most ordinary adults who might set foot on a school bus.
    Let's see how this ban on guns on school buses could bite some unsuspecting person:

1.) The school lends its buses to some community festival, or athletic event (10K race, Half-Marathon, etc.) and you attend that festival while armed and ride the bus.

2.) The school lends its buses to some government agency or church group or non-governmental organization to help evacuate people from the path of a hurricane. You get on the bus with a gun (either carrying it on your body or just packed in your luggage) and you're a [EDITED] Criminal!
    3.) A school bus breaks down and needs a tow. The tow truck driver always carries a gun. He's got that gun on his person when he gets on the bus to make sure no kids are on it, and to release the brakes, prior to towing it. Although he's only on the bus for 20 seconds, and there were no school kids around for miles (another bus already came and got them), and he's miles from any school, his crime can get him 10 years in prison,
    EDITED: or 12 months in jail for a GFL/ GWL holder.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If you have a GWL it is only a misdemeanor.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Good catch. I forgot about that recent change in our law (thanks to SB 308, right?).
    In my scenarios #1 and #3 above, the person would be expected to have a GWL even before they stepped on the bus.

Here's a cut and paste of the new sentencing provisions of the School Safety Zone law:

2) Any license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
    Any person who is not a license holder who violates this subsection shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not more than $10,000.00, by imprisonment
    for not less than two nor more than ten years, or both.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

16-11-127.1
    It looks like even if you have a GWL and even if you have a legally registered MG, its still a felony.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... tion=127.1