Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/27/new ... tml?hpt=T2

New York (CNN) -- A New York police officer getting her hair done over the weekend thwarted a would-be robber in a beauty salon, shooting the weapon from the gunman's hands, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said in awarding the officer a promotion
After the man ordered the customers and employees into the bathroom, Jones reemerged with her weapon drawn, identified herself as a police officer, and told the man not to move, Kelly said.

The suspect fired four shots at Jones, narrowly missing her head with one, the commissioner recounted. She fired five shots back -- emptying her service revolver and marking the first time she'd ever fired her weapon in the line of duty -- and hit both of the man's hands, causing him to drop his 44-caliber gun.

Her shots also knocked the handle off the door of the salon, briefly trapping the man as he tried to escape, Kelly said. He eventually broke the window in the door and fled on foot.

"She knew the gunman might shoot, and when he did, she was ready for him, demonstrating stunning marksmanship in the process," the commissioner said.
Isn't it pretty common for the hands to get hit in shoot outs because the shooter is concentrating so hard on the attackers gun? I think its funny that the commissioner is trying to make it sound like the officer was intentionally trying to shoot the gun out of the attacker's hands. Oh well, good for the officer saving the day. NY ought to let all law abiding citizens be able to save the day with guns.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Service Revolver??

WTF, I don't think so CNN. Off-duty carry, boneheads. No one, except for perhaps a very select few grandfathered in early on that are retiring at a fast rate, carries a service revolver in the NYPD. She surely does not look old enough to qualify in that category.

Five shots at close range, no center mass hits and all she could hit are his hands? And they spin it to sound like it was intentional? Yeah, right.

It is really bad when misstated crap like this is published. Believe it or not, there have been defense lawyers that have attempted to discredit expert LE pistol marksmen involved in justified shootings by bringing up their stellar records with their service weapon and arguing, "if you are such an expert shot, why did you have to shoot my client in the chest instead of simply shooting the gun out of his hand at such close range"?? Yes, it is true, I am not making this up.

Sounds to me like she needs to be sent back to Rodman's Neck in the Bronx for some intensive range time with her snubby.......

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Every department is different.

I do know that the Atlanta Police Department is very strict about what type of handguns officers can carry, either on-duty or as a back-up for on-duty.

One of the choices is a .38 special revolver and many do carry such weapons.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Every department is different.

I do know that the Atlanta Police Department is very strict about what type of handguns officers can carry, either on-duty or as a back-up for on-duty.

One of the choices is a .38 special revolver and many do carry such weapons.
Yep, I carry one too. As a backup weapon on duty. But we don't refer to it as a "service revolver", in spite of its on-duty role. Your service weapon, for a patrol officer (which I believe she was before her promotion to detective) is the weapon typically issued to you by the department and carried on your duty belt.

I'm pretty sure her NYPD service weapon as a uniformed patrol officer was either a S&W 5946, a Glock 19 or Sigarms P226 DAO, not a 5 shot revolver.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Kahr claims they are the only back up gun NYPD allows.

at least I think I remember reading that on their web page some time ago

1 - 6 of 6 Posts