OCTOBER POSTAL MATCHES (2)

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by gunsmoker, Oct 1, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Okay, October is here!

September results:
    Congrats to XLS177 for winning the slow fire pistol postal match for September.
    I won the rifle postal match, but only by 2 points! That was close.
    1ClearShot got third place for both rifles and pistols, with respectable scores.

RECAP of KEY RULES AND PROCEDURES, for anybody reading this thread who is not familiar with a postal match.

1.) Click this link or just go to the "What is a Postal Match" sticky thread at the top of the "Competitions" forum. Lots of good information there.

2.) Acquire some NRA "B2" bullseye targets. You can buy them retail, mail-order them, download them from the 'net and print them, or just ask me for one. I'll snail-mail you one and you can run it through a copier!
    These are the 50-foot fire pistol targets. The black spot is from the 7-ring to the 10-ring, and it's 3 and 1/16 of an inch across. The last scoring ring is the 4, which has a diameter of 7 and 3/8 inches. If you print them from your computer or copy a factory-made one, make sure they come out pretty close to the correct size.

3.) Go to your own favorite shooting range, on your own time, alone or with friends, whatever you want.
    After warm-up on other targets or practice targets, pick "THE" target that you will use for this month's competition.
    Put it up, shoot it, and then score it and tell us the score here. (NOTE: You can't shoot a bunch of the NRA B2 targets and then pick the best one to use for this match. On the honor system, you have to pick a target and commit to making THAT ONE the one that will count for this month before you put the first bullet hole through it.)

4.) GUNS ALLOWED: All of them. Any of them. The two matches are for 1.) rifles and 2.) handguns. If we get enough shooters with different types of guns, we may break down scores by different divsion, such as "scoped rimfire rifles" or "open sight centerfire rifles." If you're not sure what gun(s) to use, bring your FAVORITE RIFLE or CARBINE, and bring your MOST ACCURATE PISTOL. No matter what sights they might be wearing.

5.) PRIZES: none. You get bragging rights if you do well. If you don't to great, you still get the opportunity to learn and build up your skills and watch your scores climb as you do this over months or years.

6.) ENTRY FEE: None. Just buy your own ammo, targets, and burn up your own gas going to and from the shootin' spot.

7.) HAVE FUN. That's a rule. Failure to follow it will be sanctioned by declaring you ineligible to win any Prize. ;)

8.) COURSE OF FIRE: Rifles shoot the target (same NRA B2 target) at 25 yards. 10 shots in a time limit of 10 minutes. Standing, unsupported except for a sling if you want to use one. Even though the target is called a "50 foot pistol" target, we will use it for rifles at 25 yards. Same target for everybody. We keep it simple.

Pistol shooters shoot from 50 feet, just like the target says. Also 10 shots on one target. Also within 10 minutes. Also using two hands (you can use 1 hand if you like). Also no leaning on the bench, the walls, no sitting in a chair, etc.

Good luck for the OCTOBER SHOOT !!

2. gunsmoker

REMINDER on SCORING:

If the bullet even touched or nicked the dividing line between two scoring rings on a target, you count the higher score.

That means that a bullet hole that is mostly in the "6" ring but touches the 7-ring's dividing line should be counted as a "7" point shot. Even though the center of the bullet hole is clearly in the 6 point zone. We look to the edge of the bullet hole, not the center.

(But the bullet hole does not necessarily mean the little cracks in the paper that may extend away from the hole. And it doesn't mean the actual round hole in the paper, which might only be .25 caliber even though they were made by a 9mm hollowpoint bullet. You go by the size of the bullet hole as it "would have been" if the hole were exactly bullet diameter (so assume a .355 hole for that 9mm you just used)).

TIPS ON SCORING:

SCORING GAUGE? Real bullseye target shooters use scoring gauges. We won't, unless you happen to have one and want to use it.
    I suggest just gently sticking the bullet of an unfired cartridge in the hole in your target, and seeing where the "edge" of the bullet hole "would have been."

HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED?? If you are SURE you fired 10 times, but only see 9 holes in your target, and all 9 of them are close to the center and NONE are near the edge of the paper, and you didn't flinch or have something go wrong where you might have missed the target entirely.... look at each of the 9 holes very carefully. If one of them is wider than the others, it's a double. Two shots going through the same hole, almost perfectly on top of each other, is not uncommon. Sometimes it helps to flip the target over and look at the size of the exit holes.

SUBTRACT FROM PERFECT: If you get a pretty good score, it may be easier to start with the "perfect score" of 100 points (10 shots at 10 points each) and then for each shot that was less than 10, subtract that difference. For every shot that hits the 9-ring, subtract one point. Take 4 points off for each "6" that you shoot. This is often faster and more accurate than adding up the actual point values of each shot.

3. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

This is a new Glock 17, and I am trying to get used to the trigger. I am more accurate with the G17 than I was with my G19.

[​IMG]

This is from a new to me Springfield TGO II. I can't quite dial it in yet.

[​IMG]

ETA: These were practice targets and I did not call one of them. I forgot to read all the rules. :oops: I will be practicing more, and call one later in the month. Sorry for the mix up.

4. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Went to the Sandy Springs range today.
    Shot in range 3 where you can input the exact distance you want.

16.7 yards
    I counted 81

[​IMG]

5. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

I did the postal match before the .22 shoot at Hi-Caliber earlier today.

Sig P228R using Blazer Brass 115gr. 9, 8, 7x2, 6x3, 5x3 = 64

PWS 7" EB-SBR using 55gr. Ballistic-tip. (w/ Leupold Prismatic 1x scope) 10, 9x2, 8x4, 7, 6, 5 = 78

My 2 year old has been rearranging stuff in my room....and I can't find the data cable for my camera. :shattered:

6. gunsmoker

1clearShot, that is a really cool-looking evil black short-barreled rifle you've got there!
    :righton:

I also shot a target for the October postal match (rifle) when I was doing the .22 league shoot at Hi_Caliber the other night.

I got 88 points. A 1.75" group, but most of them were a bit high.
    Score breakdown was: 10, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8, 8, and 7. Rifle was the scoped Ruger 10/22 with the trigger job and 4X scope.

Later this month I hope to shoot my carry 9mm. It looks like we'll have several competitors
    in that category, since you and Zetor have already shot for record
    and Tmoore912 did a practice run and says he'll have an official target later. Adam5 said he was gonna do it, too.

(Last month I got "62" with my Taurus 9mm. 1Clearshot, you just shot "64" with your Sig 9mm. Tmoore912 shot "63" this month with his Springfield .45. We're all really close!! (Except for Zetor, who appears to be well in the lead with 81 points out of his Colt 1911.)

7. gunsmoker

8. zetor

How about a 25 yd category?
    No harder than 50'. The front sight subtends no more on a 25 Yd slow fire pistol target than it does on a 50'.

9. gunsmoker

Why don't you shoot it at 25 yards and see how it goes?
    If nobody else has a problem with it, I won't either.
    In principle, I don't mind going farther back and using the appropriate target that is proportionally larger so to give the same sight picture at the longer distance.
    I suppose we could do 50 yards, also. They make 50-yard slow fire pistol targets. The aiming black is about the size of a pie plate, if I recall correctly.

THe rifle shooters will need to stick with 25-yard shooting on the 50-foot slow fire pistol target, unless they (the rifle shooters or potential rifle shooters) think they need a different target.
    Expert marksmen would say that the current target is too easy to get a perfect score on.
    But in 3 years of doing it, we've never had a perfect score yet. Not even close. Mid-90s is the highest ever, I think.
    Less skilled shooters might say that the 50 foot pistol target at 25 yards is too small, even for scoped rifles.
    They might say it's too easy to miss and get a zero on some shots. And if you're just a couple inches away from perfect dead center X, you don't get a 10 or 9, but an inch away gives you an 8.

10. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

I need to get back to doing these shoots!

11. zetor

I didn't mean that 50' was too easy. Mine aren't all in the black at 50'.
    It is just something different I guess. I DO think shooting at 25 yards will show more pronounced any sight adjustment the pistol may need and everyone should at least do it a few times. I suppose a separate category isn't a good idea. I doubt anyone would be interested.

12. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

I tried 50' with my 22 pistol....and actually put 6 rounds on the target. (out of 10 fired) I was shocked. For most people, 25' would be the limit though. I don't know of any indoor ranges that are longer than 25'.

13. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

OK, I can't compete with Zetor's score this month. I shot my Springfield 1911 yesterday and only raised my score by one point from the practice target I used earlier this month. So 64 is my called target score for this month. In practice I am always getting one of the shots landing outside the score-able area on the target. If I could just be a little bit more consistent, I could maybe break into the 80s. I think I need to be more patient between shots. :shattered:

14. gunsmoker

61 points for me, centerfire slow-fire pistol.

With the PT-111 compact 9mm.
    One hit was a "10" but one was a "miss" too. The rest made up a pretty big group.
    10, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 5, 5, 4, + 0 = 61.

Did anybody else shoot this month? Today's the last day!
    Zetor looks sure to win 1st place, and it looks like we'll have two shooters tied for second place at 64 points each.