OCing at Target

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by wsweeks2, Jul 9, 2007.

1. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

OC'd at the Target in Johns Creek today on the way home from work. No one said a thing other than the cashier who mumbled something about listening to Rammstein? :wink:

Just kidding - that place was packed with some hot soccer moms though. I need to stop there more often.

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Always some milfage at the one in the Savannah mall (where I've not been harassed since my first incident, and where I've OC'ed often).

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Awesome.

I got off work about 5:40ish today. What time were you there?

4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Remember Ramm, they don't like that greenish foot scum either. :lol:

5. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I had to have just missed you Ramm. I got there around 5:45.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

ah. I was considering staying until 6p, but I was already there an hour and ten minutes after my shift was supposed to end and my feet were getting tired.

7. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I was on the food side - had to pick up a few cases of water for the fiance. Some lady with 2 kids were blocking the aisle when I was trying to get by. She told them to get out of the policeman's way. I said that I wasn't a cop, just someone carrying to protect myself and others. She just smiled and the kid had an ear to ear grin on his face as my gun passed in front of his face.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I would have left it at, "I'm not a cop."

9. Sharky

Sharky New Member

nice, sounds like every other story on here, which is always gfood to continue seeing that response.

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I really think a lot of the perception is in how you present yourself and act around others. I also think if I looked nervous and like I was up to something that others would feed off of that as well.

11. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I've open carried at the one in Cumming didn't have a problem....

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I cannot open carry there. Something in our handbook says guns are a no-no or some such nonsense.

13. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Even if you're not working?

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I flipped through the handbook a little more than ~1 year ago. I believe that is what it said. But, even if it does...I wouldn't want them to get the idea that I like guns then start demanding that I open my vehicle for a search. Not that I would open my vehicle for a search.

I'll open carry into the store towards the end of the summer. I'm probably gonna try to find a different job since this one is really hard on my back, feet, and wrist.

15. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Geez, back, feet, and wrist!

Man they got you slaving away!

16. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Rammstein, all of the employers I have worked for over the years have had a provision denying the employees their rights to carry firearms. Most of them have also had the provision in their handbook stating that your vehicle could be searched while on company property (not that any ever tried). As these companies were all Fortune 250 or Fortune 100, I imagine that is a standard amongst large corporations.

I weighed my risk of being unarmed against the risk of losing my job if I was ever "made". Unfortunately, that resulted in my being unarmed during the one and only robbery attempt I experienced as a manager when I ran a grocery store in Florida. Thankfully, I kept my head and was able to get everyone out of the immediate danger zone. Also, thankfully, the robber didn't show any weapon. Long story short, he ended up leaving the building without any money, and without hurting anyone, but that experience was lifechanging for me. From that moment on at that location I was armed with either a Colt .380 or a North American Arms .22 magnum in my pocket.

Years later, at another location, also owned by a large company, I was accosted in the parking lot after a customer complained to me about people aggressively begging from customers entering and exiting the building. When I went to address the issue, I was threatened with a knife by a panhandler. Again I was lucky. You see, at this particular company and at this location, I had decided to leave my weapon in my vehicles glove box. Lot of good it did me there! Thankfully, he was only threatening me and my retreating was what he was looking for, although I did get more than a little satisfaction from pressing charges against the bastard when the police snagged him.

In both instances I had made a risk assessment and had ended up leaving myself open to potential harm. I have decided from those two instances to not be put in that same situation ever again, even if it means having to break company policy or the law.

That being said, I certainly hope that combined us like minded people can get the laws changed to make it where I and others don't have to make that decision. I can also understand someone not carrying while at work as I made that decision as well.

17. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

That's why I'm saving for a G27 and will be purchasing an ankle holster for while I'm at work. It's too hard to conceal anything otherwise, but it's not worth taking that 1 in 1,000,000 chance.

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

yep. That, and I average at least one good sized paper cut a day.

19. Dan H

Dan H New Member

So what is your job again?