OC vs CC

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by mountainman444, Sep 21, 2010.

1. mountainman444

mountainman444 Well-Known Member

This isn't what you think.

The worm has surely turned in Georgia (and in Georgia laws). Twenty to thirty years ago (when I first started carrying hand guns) the big debate was whether you could carry a firearm concealed with a GFL or only could carry openly. (This also relates to the State Patrol in the other thread. Sixteen year veteran so he is from this old school.) The debate was settled with the old "if the law doesn't prohibit it then it's legal". But we still walked around waiting to take the ride if caught. The lawmen all thought you needed to carry it open on your hip. There were no inside the waistband holsters (though I did carry in a shoulder holster under my coat). Now days the debate has turned around to can you carry open (without causing a panic) if you have a GWL.

I wonder how I missed the middle ground when it was swinging the other way?

The more things change the more they stay the same. :D

2. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

You blinked sometime between the Heller and McDonald decisions. :mrgreen:

3. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

[quote="mountainman444
    I wonder how I missed the middle ground when it was swinging the other way?
    [/quote]

I wonder about this too. I imagine it's not unlike what we're seeing with cigarette/cigar/pipe smoking. One day it's normal and at least accepted for outdoors smoking, then suddenly, it's socially acceptable to verbally harass someone for smoking outside. I think the swing may have been television. It's not common nowadays to socialize with playing cards and relaxing conversation, or meet the guys at the pub for a frosty beverage. Television, and now the internet, have replaced normal, healthy socialization. People are allowing their expectations and beliefs to be managed by a box in their living room, be it government, rights, social norms, religion, and so on. How could the ridiculous "global warming" scam have been propagated without television and the internet? It's the same with guns, where the sheep are managed into believing who, what, where, when and why guns are to be carried.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

We say while typing posts into an internet forum . . .

:rotfl2:

5. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

if anything, i would say the law favors open carry. there is only one example of georgia law that allows one form of carry (OC or CC) over another, and that is regarding carrying a pistol during archery deer season.

6. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

Yep. Fifty years ago, we might all be sitting on benches outside a barber shop, talking about this holster or that ammo. The times they are a changin'.

7. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

Oh, and I did sip frosty beverages and smoke cigars with the guys, last night. :)

8. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

The irony wasn't lost on me.
    Also without the internet we wouldn't have GCO as we know it today. I'm willing to believe the ability for us to share information and meet people we would never have met otherwise is the Key to GCO's rate of growth.
    I would have never known about GCO, or many of the fine people I've met here, without the internet.

9. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

My point was many people let the TV/internet shape their lives versus it being a tool for enhancing. Just as TV has taught millions to believe that LEOs are required to protect you, the internet is being used to inform that only you are responsible for your and your family's personal protection. I was eighteen before I learned cops don't "protect," and it was just a couple of years ago I learned here on this forum the Supreme Court ruled that cops are not required to protect. Many folks see a TV show where a character lashes out at someone smoking, and their takeaway is a roadmap to behaviour. The same is true with perspective on guns, politics, everthing.

Even bass fishing isn't immune: The finesse and courtesy of yesteryear has been unduly influenced by the corporate-sponsored fishing shows. Wannabe tournament "fishermen" zorch into a cove at 60mph, rip the throttle to idle, throw once on each point, then zorch to the other side of the cove, and if they happen to get a hit, set the hook by ripping the pole from one gunwale to the other, all the while oblivious to the other folks fishing in that cove. These types are in the $500 per pound of fish range(I pulled that from thin air), but it matters not as long as they emulate the pros on TV.

Hock rant, O U T !~ :)