OC spray and Metal Detectors

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Maveri9720, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

As far as I know, there are no laws regarding the use of OC spray in GA. Today, I was at the Post Office and for the first time, actually noticed there were metal detectors when you walk in. I had seen them before, but never took any note of them.

Now, in GA, I can't CC to the Post Office, nor carry my utility knife, but nothing says anything about OC spray.

My question is, will the metal detector go off if I walk in there with a can of OC spray?

Also, how does it differentiate between keys, cell phones and then knives and guns? Is it just the amount of metal before it goes off?

I really don't want to test this.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Metal Detectors in the Post Office !?! :shock:

3. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I've never seen that.

4. Taler

Taler New Member

Any chance the managment of that particular post office are afraid of someone going "UPS" on them?

5. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

I'm not sure what the deal is.

I think they are metal detectors. Maybe it is part of their alarm system.

It is what you see at department stores when you enter/exit.

It's not the metal detectors at the courthouse that you walk through and that are manned.

Maybe I'm wrong in what they are, but they look the same as the security sensor detectors that you walk through at Wal-mart or Kohl's. But, I assumed they were for detecting metal at the Post Office, b/c they don't have anything there worth stealing and needing to put security sensors on and then need the detectors to pick them up.

Now, I'm confused. Please help.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Get a big chuck of metal that is not a weapon and walk through it.

7. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

Maybe they are anti-theft devices?

How would they screen metal out with no LEO at the door? Every set of keys, pocketknife, etc would set the thing off.

8. Maveri9720

Maveri9720 New Member

But what is there to steal?

That's what I was thinking about the keys and all.

I have no clue what's going on now.

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Maybe it's a farce, used as a deterrent like those fake cameras some people get. Only way to know is test it with a big 'ol piece of metal.