OC non-encounter with Atlanta PD

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by Dawgdoc, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

While driving home from vacation recently, I made the mistake of checking the traffic websites and saw that there were multiple accidents and construction along our normal route of I-75 in the Atlanta area. As a result, we decided to avoid it all by going west of 285 through a bunch of roads we had never been on. Earlier that day, a dog urinated and defecated on the clothes I was wearing, so I had changed to what was easily reachable in the luggage. I ended up wearing blue cargo pants, a tucked-in dark grey t-shirt, and my LC9 OWB.

At one point, we got off 285 at 139 (MLK Dr SW). As we waited at the light, we watched one car hit another. After getting through the intersection, I went back to check on the drivers, and ended up helping one guy whose car was stuck in the intersection, and he was bleeding) to the side of the road. I waited around first for the ambulance, then the fire trucks, and finally an Atlanta PD officer showed up.

The LEO never seemed to care (or possibly notice) that I was OC while interviewing me. Later, while trying to get the dash cam off my windshield, I had my back turned to him, and the butt of the gun should have been easily visible based on where he was standing. No problems at all--no glances, bad vibes, etc.

While waiting, I was aware that my wardrobe could be interpreted as someone trying (and failing) to look tactical, but it was really just a expedient choice after fouling my normal clothes (which had previously kept my gun concealed).

On a side note, it was disappointing that we were only one of very few people who stopped to help, and we were the only ones who stayed around to talk to the LEO. Also, the driver of the newer car with all the supplemental air bags was unhurt, but the driver of the older car with just front air bags must have smashed his head on the windshield (maybe because of no seat belt).

Adam5 likes this.
  2. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

That has been my experience also, the few times I venture into Atlanta. APD seems to have gotten the memo a while back.

3. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I wear 'tactical' cloths all of the time - they're comfortable, a lot of pockets, shirts often have pen holders built into the sleeves, etc. I don't really worry about the impression it gives as a I carry - even when OC'ing. I guess someone may interpret it a certain way, but I have better things to do than to worry about that.

Interesting choice (the LC9) for OC'ing. Usually when I see people OC'ing it something larger (1911, Glock 19/17, etc.). Not a criticism in any way; I own an LC9 as well and it is a descent gun.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I live in Midtown and have never had a problem with APD while I was OC.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  5. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I've also seen on various YouTube channels that do 1st Amendment audits that the APD seems to be ok. Most of the few Atlanta videos out there are non-events with APD. Other entities, not so much though.

6. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

I started the day concealed (untucked button-up shirt over the gun) while in Florida. I only became OC after getting dog crap and urine on my shirt after doing an nail trim on my in-laws dog in Stockbridge. I didn't feel like fishing a cover garment out of the luggage since we were just driving home.

7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

What happened?

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Sorry, typing and Percocet don’t get along well. I meant to say that I’ve never had a problem. I went back and corrected it.