OC In Publix

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by oxfat, Oct 17, 2010.

1. oxfat

oxfat Member

I’ve only rarely open carried, so this was unusual for me. I walked the entire store with only one person, one of the employees, openly looking me over. Everyone else just walked on by me. Maybe it’s just a mental model that people have; a guy shopping for toilet paper and garbage bags just doesn’t come across as very scary.

I’ve been in this store a lot, and talked to these people on a friendly basis. I picked a checkout line with a guy I’ve talked to in the past ringing up the groceries. No problem. On my way out another young man that I’ve been friendly with was standing next to the manager (a female). I nodded, said hi, they said hi back, and I left.

A total non-event, as it should be. But nonetheless a confidence booster for a guy who doesn't normally OC.

2. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Next time will be even more un-eventful and you will think about it less than this time.

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Which Publix?

I've OCd in the one at Bethelview and Castleberry several times.

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Outstanding! Keep it up.

5. oxfat

oxfat Member

The one at Post and Rt. 9.

So the one at Bethelview and Castleberry has been okay with OC? I wasn't sure what I'd run into at a Publix. Some threads here in the past indicated that OC may not be well received.

6. oxfat

oxfat Member

I have to admit. I had "AIFTG" thought through, and a copy of the Georgia Code in my car.

7. Never had a problem in Publix, Ingles, or Kroger. I've open carried once in Wal-Mart and no one said anything, but given their reputation for being proponents of concealed carry, I just throw my shirt over it.

Only grocery store I had an issue with was H-Mart, but I began sloppily concealing instead of disarming. No one has said anything to me, and the two employees that were against me carrying have not been there in several months.

Keep on carrying, it gets more comfortable over time.

8. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Good for you Ox. I have an O.C. holster(I got tired of GUB from giving me flack at events) on order from yall know who so I'll be letting it hang out soon.

9. Docindahouze

Docindahouze Member

I think what happens most of the time is that most people just don't pay enough attention of other people to notice something like a gun carried by casually dressed individual. If anything, there is quick glance at a persons face and they keep going. Just my observation.

10. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Great job! I know its tough the first few times you open carry in populated places, but it really does get less stressful the more you open carry.

Keep up the good work, know your conversational skills should it ever occur (know the laws), and always keep a voice recorder running just in case. The good thing is that you will probably never need the last two things I mentioned.

11. groats

groats New Member

Toilet paper & garbage bags?!?
    Certainly sounds suspicious to me.

Probably need to mop up some blood and haul away the body parts,
    I'm guessing.

Were you also carrying a chain saw by any chance?

12. Owl

Owl New Member

" Keep a recorder running at all times"

This is what keeps me from OCing more than I do. Someone let me know when the day comes that I can OC without having to put up with that hassle. :)

13. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I OC all the time at my two local Publix stores in Acworth. Never had an issue with staff. One customer told me she would be more comfortable if I had a badge to go with my SIG...wonder what she would have thought about one of those CCW badges lol.

Anyway, congrats on popping your OC cherry and keep on doing it.

14. AV8R

AV8R Banned

That day is today.

I've thought off and on about getting a recorder, but I never did and probably never will. What a horrible way to go through your day, recording, waiting, dreading for the moment you have to speak to an LEO. THE HORROR OF IT ALL! :help:

:)

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

She'd rather have some agent of the government around that could bust her from some stupid ordinance that she doesn't even know about than just some regular guy buying groceries for his family. Its sad, America really does worship the government, and a big one at that.

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I OC about half the time and dont carry a recorder. I will not live in fear like that.

17. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

The most important thing to remember is stress is contagious. If you are or seem nervous, people will catch on to it and they will get nervous. Just be calm and excercize your right. Keep up the good work!

18. dunkel

dunkel New Member

Hm, yup, I suppose so. Hadn't thought about it like that.