Obama plans to freeze pay for most federal workers

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Melissa5, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

2. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Its a good start. If all federal spending was frozen at 2007 levels we would get to a balanced budget by 2013. Keep it at those levels and by 2020 we would have half the total deficit paid off.

3. Glocker

Glocker New Member

I agree. Definitely a step in the correct direction. :righton:

4. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Its a great start! How about giving them a small pay cut, you know, so they could feel a little pain, you know just like all the people who have lost their jobs and their homes due to the government and big businesses' actions?

5. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

+1 :righton:

6. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

wonder how he got that off with how much the unions dump into the democrats

7. murrybird

murrybird New Member

To which I respond to the President,"and?"

If he wants to show his fiscal conservative side then cut federal civilan jobs in half. But he would not do that, cause it would tick the public sector unions off to no end.

This is a token jesture, nothing more. But I am sure Soros and the unions will use it to stir the pudding none the less. Cause a crisis, then have the answer waiting in the wind to look like the hero of the day.

8. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

Nice start, it only took 2 years. I think come 2 years from now the election rhetoric will be something like "if you keep the Republicans in power of the House you can kiss any pay raise goodbye. Elect me and my democrat cohorts into power again and we promise a raise" or something along those lines

9. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I personally think he was just trying to pre-empt the Republicans, who were making noises to do the same thing as soon as the new session starts next year. Steal a little of their thunder, as it were.

http://blogs.ajc.com/bob-barr-blog/2010 ... nd-richer/

Obama has certainly been working at his promise to create jobs. According to that column, the Federal government has added 141,000 new government jobs since he took office. I think he could be doing more than just merely freezing pay.

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

1.09^5 = 1.53862395. Am I missing something?

11. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

The inflation rate is definitely not 9% annually; it's more like 2%. I think Mr. Barr means 9% inflation over the same time period that he's measuring the 25% pay increase number.

1.02^5 = 1.1040, close enough for government work? Using an inflation calculator website, The period Oct 2005 - Oct 2010 shows 9.79% inflation.

If they want to cut jobs and save money, they can start with the TSA, as far as I'm concerned. The TSA went from 13 employees to 65,000 in just one year. [cite] That's one heck of a hiring drive.

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Ah, that makes much more sense.

13. EJR914

I worked with some government organization for about 3 years, and I always bust out laughing at "close enough for government work." Its so true. Everything they did was FUBAR and anti-logical. Many of the jobs there are "do nothing jobs", but they created crises and problems to make sure that they had something to do and gave themselves a reason to have and keep the job. We found ourselves saying that phrase many times a week. They couldn't do anything right, and most were dumb as bricks. :mrgreen: :righton:

14. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

This will make up for what he spent while in office. Its still a start although a late one.

15. mpc

mpc New Member

And interestingly enough, the aggregate IQ didn't increase at all.

16. AEKDB

AEKDB New Member

We never talk about Government as a negative cost to economic productivity. Government workers are a double drain. First they remove able bodies from the labor market creating a supply shortage then we take capital from producers, pay them to remain out of the labor market and give them huge pensions so they will remain out of the labor market for life. Pure stupidity unless a communist society is the goal.

I say fire all of them.

17. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Fire them all is a little bit knee-jerk, but I get your point and agree with you in part. Yes, government is a drain in both human and economic capital. But some level of government is necessary or we have anarchy, and few I think would actually want anarchy or the balkanization of the US.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -of-big-g/

And that does NOT include postal workers. I hardly think we are on the verge of anarchy due to lack of federal government workers.

19. EJR914

Do we really need 2 million government employees? I'd say a good start would be to fire half of them immediately.