Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Its a good start. If all federal spending was frozen at 2007 levels we would get to a balanced budget by 2013. Keep it at those levels and by 2020 we would have half the total deficit paid off.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Thorsen said:
Its a good start. If all federal spending was frozen at 2007 levels we would get to a balanced budget by 2013. Keep it at those levels and by 2020 we would have half the total deficit paid off.
I agree. Definitely a step in the correct direction. :righton:

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Its a great start! How about giving them a small pay cut, you know, so they could feel a little pain, you know just like all the people who have lost their jobs and their homes due to the government and big businesses' actions?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
EJR914 said:
Its a great start! How about giving them a small pay cut, you know, so they could feel a little pain, you know just like all the people who have lost their jobs and their homes due to the government and big businesses' actions?
+1 :righton:

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
wonder how he got that off with how much the unions dump into the democrats

·
Registered
943 Posts
To which I respond to the President,"and?"

If he wants to show his fiscal conservative side then cut federal civilan jobs in half. But he would not do that, cause it would tick the public sector unions off to no end.

This is a token jesture, nothing more. But I am sure Soros and the unions will use it to stir the pudding none the less. Cause a crisis, then have the answer waiting in the wind to look like the hero of the day.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Nice start, it only took 2 years. I think come 2 years from now the election rhetoric will be something like "if you keep the Republicans in power of the House you can kiss any pay raise goodbye. Elect me and my democrat cohorts into power again and we promise a raise" or something along those lines

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,404 Posts
I personally think he was just trying to pre-empt the Republicans, who were making noises to do the same thing as soon as the new session starts next year. Steal a little of their thunder, as it were.

Bob Barr said:
In 2005, 12,399 government workers earned more than $150,000 annually; a number that has since ballooned nearly fourteen-fold to 171,689. Workers who have been with the government between 15 and 24 years have seen their salaries rise by 25% over this same time period, far outpacing the economy’s 9% inflation rate.
http://blogs.ajc.com/bob-barr-blog/2010 ... nd-richer/

Obama has certainly been working at his promise to create jobs. According to that column, the Federal government has added 141,000 new government jobs since he took office. I think he could be doing more than just merely freezing pay.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,404 Posts
budder said:
1.09^5 = 1.53862395. Am I missing something?
The inflation rate is definitely not 9% annually; it's more like 2%. I think Mr. Barr means 9% inflation over the same time period that he's measuring the 25% pay increase number.

1.02^5 = 1.1040, close enough for government work? Using an inflation calculator website, The period Oct 2005 - Oct 2010 shows 9.79% inflation.

If they want to cut jobs and save money, they can start with the TSA, as far as I'm concerned. The TSA went from 13 employees to 65,000 in just one year. [cite] That's one heck of a hiring drive.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Rugerer said:
budder said:
1.09^5 = 1.53862395. Am I missing something?
The inflation rate is definitely not 9% annually; it's more like 2%. I think Mr. Barr means 9% inflation over the same time period that he's measuring the 25% pay increase number.

1.02^5 = 1.1040, close enough for government work? Using an inflation calculator website, The period Oct 2005 - Oct 2010 shows 9.79% inflation.

If they want to cut jobs and save money, they can start with the TSA, as far as I'm concerned. The TSA went from 13 employees to 65,000 in just one year. [cite] That's one heck of a hiring drive.
I worked with some government organization for about 3 years, and I always bust out laughing at "close enough for government work." Its so true. Everything they did was FUBAR and anti-logical. Many of the jobs there are "do nothing jobs", but they created crises and problems to make sure that they had something to do and gave themselves a reason to have and keep the job. We found ourselves saying that phrase many times a week. They couldn't do anything right, and most were dumb as bricks. :mrgreen: :righton:

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Glocker said:
Thorsen said:
I agree. Definitely a step in the correct direction. :righton:
This will make up for what he spent while in office. Its still a start although a late one.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Rugerer said:
The TSA went from 13 employees to 65,000 in just one year. That's one heck of a hiring drive.
And interestingly enough, the aggregate IQ didn't increase at all.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
We never talk about Government as a negative cost to economic productivity. Government workers are a double drain. First they remove able bodies from the labor market creating a supply shortage then we take capital from producers, pay them to remain out of the labor market and give them huge pensions so they will remain out of the labor market for life. Pure stupidity unless a communist society is the goal.

I say fire all of them.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
AEKDB said:
We never talk about Government as a negative cost to economic productivity. Government workers are a double drain. First they remove able bodies from the labor market creating a supply shortage then we take capital from producers, pay them to remain out of the labor market and give them huge pensions so they will remain out of the labor market for life. Pure stupidity unless a communist society is the goal.

I say fire all of them.
Fire them all is a little bit knee-jerk, but I get your point and agree with you in part. Yes, government is a drain in both human and economic capital. But some level of government is necessary or we have anarchy, and few I think would actually want anarchy or the balkanization of the US.

·
68,519 Posts
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -of-big-g/

The era of big government has returned with a vengeance, in the form of the largest federal work force in modern history.

The Obama administration says the government will grow to 2.15 million employees this year, topping 2 million for the first time since President Clinton declared that "the era of big government is over"
And that does NOT include postal workers. I hardly think we are on the verge of anarchy due to lack of federal government workers.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/feb/02/burgeoning-federal-payroll-signals-return-of-big-g/

The era of big government has returned with a vengeance, in the form of the largest federal work force in modern history.

The Obama administration says the government will grow to 2.15 million employees this year, topping 2 million for the first time since President Clinton declared that "the era of big government is over"
And that does NOT include postal workers. I hardly think we are on the verge of anarchy due to lack of federal government workers.
Do we really need 2 million government employees? I'd say a good start would be to fire half of them immediately.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts