Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-sent-cash-to-iran-as-americans-were-freed-1470181874

WASHINGTONâ€"The Obama administration secretly organized an airlift of $400 million worth of cash to Iran that coincided with the January release of four Americans detained in Tehran, according to U.S. and European officials and congressional staff briefed on the operation afterward.

Wooden pallets stacked with euros, Swiss francs and other currencies were flown into Iran on an unmarked cargo plane, according to these officials.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/08/03/lawmakers-ransom-to-iran-put-americans-at-risk.html

Republican lawmakers are fuming over a bombshell report overnight that the U.S. government airlifted the equivalent of $400 million to Iran this past January - as four detained Americans were released by Tehran - and say the transaction has put more Americans at risk of being taken hostage.

The cash transfer, as reported by The Wall Street Journal, was the first installment paid in a $1.7 billion settlement the Obama administration reached with Iran to resolve a failed 1979 arms deal dating from just before the Iranian Revolution.

The cash flown to Iran consisted of euros, Swiss francs, and other currencies because U.S. law forbids transacting American dollars with Iran. While the Obama administration denied the cash transfer was done to secure the release of the four Americans, GOP lawmakers said it was tantamount to "ransom."

"Paying ransom to kidnappers puts Americans even more at risk," Sen. Mark Kirk, R-Ill., said in a statement. "While Americans were relieved by Iran's overdue release of illegally imprisoned American hostages, the White House's policy of appeasement has led Iran to illegally seize more American hostages."

The four released Americans are Washington Post reporter Jason Rezaian; Amir Hekmati, a former U.S. Marine; Christian pastor Saeed Abedini; and Nosratollah Khosravi-Roodsari, whose case had not been publicized before the release.

State Department spokesman John Kirby said their release was on an entirely separate track from the settlement payment and, in an interview Wednesday with Fox News, said any suggestion it was tied to ransom is "utterly false."

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Ah...flying around cold, hard, cash. I was retired when this went down, but I was involved in several missions that involved taking large sums of money places; it happens more often than one would think. I can say that I don't think I ever carried $400 million though!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Nothing to see here. Sure it was all in foreign currency to skirt the law but im sure it was all completely unrelated

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
iran said the US owed them money prior to this incident. the US was never going to pay it. iran then asked ransom, the US chose this time to pay the debt they were never going to pay. it's not lying, it's operating under plausible deniability...something every one of those BS artists is adept at. keep thinking government's a good idea, folks.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
atlsrt44 said:
Nothing to see here. Sure it was all in foreign currency to skirt the law but im sure it was all completely unrelated
Oh deary me, if only large denomination foreign currency had been added to the list of banned ways to pay...

:shakehead:

No one *really* needs a high capacity ten thousand Franc note. It's not like you can buy a cheeseburger or something from a vending machine with it.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Oh deary me, if only large denomination foreign currency had been added to the list of banned ways to pay...

:shakehead:

No one *really* needs a high capacity ten thousand Franc note. It's not like you can buy a cheeseburger or something from a vending machine with it.
Just like Hillary and her espionage via the unsecured server

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
The logistics of finding the money, converting it to a ton of foreign cash, enlisting dozens of folks to do the work and keep their mouth shut would make a good movie. Even with 500 euro notes, it may have taken a big plane to haul it all.
And the currency exchange costs/commissions must have been in the millions of dollars.

The law prohibits direct or INDIRECT payments, no problem, no criminal intent here.

It is important to the administration to be sure future payments by Iran to folks who hurt Americans is untraceable.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Now if I am not mistaken, Iran paid us a LOT of money for military equipment in the late 70s, when the Shah was overthrown, the US decided not deliver that equipment and impose an embargo on the new regime. Rather than squander that money, we kept it separate from other monies. As part of this nuclear deal, the US agreed to give them their money back plus interest, rather than go to the Hague, where we were afraid that the judge could have imposed more punitive damages.

So basically this was their money that the US government held for 37 years, so we owed a tidy bit of interest.

But interesting is that Iran was bragging that it was for ransom, and they weren't giving our spies back until they got the money. But remember, the Iranian government will lie, cheat, steal, or even kill to further their interests....... hmmmm much like the US government.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is what $8/hr buys for the DNC folks. :razz:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Now if I am not mistaken, Iran paid us a LOT of money for military equipment in the late 70s, when the Shah was overthrown, the US decided not deliver that equipment and impose an embargo on the new regime. Rather than squander that money, we kept it separate from other monies. As part of this nuclear deal, the US agreed to give them their money back plus interest, rather than go to the Hague, where we were afraid that the judge could have imposed more punitive damages.

So basically this was their money that the US government held for 37 years, so we owed a tidy bit of interest.

But interesting is that Iran was bragging that it was for ransom, and they weren't giving our spies back until they got the money. But remember, the Iranian government will lie, cheat, steal, or even kill to further their interests....... hmmmm much like the US government.
So the government kept this money separate and left it alone since the 70s? Doubtful

They've done a great job of leaving social security alone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We do not pay ransom. We didn't here, and we won't in the future," Obama said. "And the notion that we would somehow start now, in this high-profile way . . . defies logic.
He must think that we believe the politicians use logic ever.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts