Oakwood Sportsman's Lodge

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by legacy38, May 5, 2007.

1. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

2. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

search this site we had a thread about them earlier this yr...

i went there once not many rental guns and expensive range fees but free range time for ladies on thrusdays!

3. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Good guys havn't bought a gun there but when looking for a Kimber i was there... and they had compareabl prices...i bought my OWB holster there. its called the sipple soution....a guy that works there makes them they are nice leather fit really well...

I would definietly do business with them.... and have on other things....but i do most of my business with 400 Gun and Pawn in Dawsonville for firearms.

4. sgtdevildog

sgtdevildog New Member

Nice folks - ammo prices a bit high. I bought a slightly used Colt WWI repro from them last year. Gun prices seem in line. I try to stop by on my way to the boat every now and then.

5. kaizer

kaizer New Member

I just bought a 1911 from these guys. They are great to work with, and their gunsmith specializes in the 1911 format weapons. There is a guy that works the range during the week that is a little bit crazy though, harmless, he will just talk your ear off. Doesn't know much about guns although he thinks he does.

I bought a new magazine down at the range for my 1911 and told him I was purchasing it because my firearm stopped locking back when empty, his reply was that magazines have nothing to do with it (wtf?). Anyway, nice guy but not the guy to ask for advice about your weapon or anything else they have there.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

lol

I would have kept asking him questions just to see how crazy he could get.

But I probably would have been laughing so hard that I would just have to leave.

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I've got an older stainless Springfield loaded 1911 that has a creepy trigger, although it is starting to wear in a bit. I may swing by there to see what the smith would charge for a trigger job. I've been considering ordering one of the drop in kits from Cylinder and Slide, but I just can't make up my mind if I want to keep this pistol or sell/trade it.

8. kaizer

kaizer New Member

yeah, the smith is a great guy, really knows the 1911. The glock guys would die, but I actually traded a .357 sig for that 1911 a couple of weeks ago. I have a couple of glocks and while they shoot great and all that crap they do nothing for me aside from that, wanted something with some character.

I was just there thirty minutes ago shooting, the crazy guy is in the gun range so if you guy make sure you stop by and meet him. Awesome guy, but once again we got off onto a crazy conversation.

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The smith wasn't in the shop, but they gave me his card. Any idea on what he charges for trigger work?

10. kaizer

kaizer New Member

No idea, he hasn't done any work for me yet, but he will be doing some for me soon. I do know that he is a heck of a nice guy and he (and the other guys) say he is a 1911 expert. Best of luck, please let me know how your experience goes. There is another guy that seems pretty good down at David's gun room, I think it is in Buford or Norcross, I had him quote me on some stuff, kinda on the high side but maybe that means he is good.

11. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

There is a guy at the Athens Rifle Club that has been taking classes from Jim Stroh that I talked to about working on it, but we never seem to get together to get it done.

I think I mentioned in another thread that I have also considered ordering one of Cylinder & Slide drop in kits for it. I have a buddy that swears by them.

I just can't make up my mind on this pistol. It has vexed me the entire time that I have owned it, but I can't bring myself to sell or trade it.

Which 1911 did you buy?

12. kaizer

kaizer New Member

I got a Charles Daley commander size from them. Fires great, just needs some reblue on the front strap to be perfect. I carry it and love it but I started looking at getting the front strap checkered and having the reblue done. Purely cosmetic especially for a carry weapon but I think I will probably still have it done. I have a body that has the cylinder and slide drop in and he says it is the greatest thing since running water.

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Good to see another person satisfied with the C&S kits. I use non-skid tape on the front strap of my my Springer and a few other pistols.

14. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I actually went to this range on this past Saturday. Little expensive for the range, but wasnt crowded or anything. There was an older gentleman helping me. Seemed really nice and professional, although I didnt feel like haveing a conversation.

Overall not bad, would go back there just because Sat morning looked like a good time to go. No crowds at all.

15. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

A while ago I was planning a trip to this range since it's close to my new home.

Then I heard that they don't allow rifles with a protruding pistol grip at their range. I hope they go out of business and I certainly won't go there.

From their website.

Yeah. Psycho. I'm sure God instructed them to not allow AR's or AK's. :roll:

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I don't recall seeing any ARs or AK type stuff in the displays. They very well could have had some and I just missed them. The shop did lean well to the hunting side of things.

17. kaizer

kaizer New Member

Foshizzle,

they do allow pretty much anything in their range. The first time i shot there I asked them about this because I wanted to fire my AR. They explained that the wording probably isn't the best that what it means is nothing with just a pistol grip and without a stock, I.E. shooting a 12 ga pump with a pistol grip from the hip.

Also, they do sell AR's and AKs although they have no AKs in stock right now. They actually raffle a gun off ever couple of months, tickets are $5 and about three months ago that gun was a .50 cal sniper riffle. These guys are pretty cool, I would give them a shot before you passed judgement.

18. kaizer

kaizer New Member

Sharky,

Heads up, about every two or three weeks there is a Glock sponsored shooting competition on Sat. morning, not a good time to show up unless you have a Glock and want to compete.