Oakwood Sportsmans Lodge? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by foshizzle, Dec 28, 2006.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Oakwood - Oakwood Sportsman's Lodge, 4080 Mundy Mill Rd., Oakwood, GA 30566.

http://www.oakwoodsportsmanslodge.com/gunsmith.html

Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (40 yd), Indoor Rifle (40 yd)

It's a 30 minute drive from Lawrenceville and I'll take a 40yard indoor rifle range anytime. All around here are 25yds.

Anyone been there? Looks like a pretty big place... might have some good ammo deals?

2. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

I have passed by the range and found it by chance when I first moved to this side of town. I am planning on going right after the new year. I live up this way now. Will let you know how it is. The area is really nice and from the outside the place looks great!

3. sgtdevildog

sgtdevildog New Member

I've been in there a time or two. Their ammo prices seemed a little high, but I got a decent deal on a pistol. I've seen the range but haven't shot on it yet. People seemed friendly enough.

4. BergerBoy

BergerBoy Guest

They are a great place. The people that work there are mostly excellent!

I shoot there about every week or two, as I could practically walk to it. The range is nice, nice folk, easy relaxed rules, and I didn't know the farthest line was 40 yards! They are a bit cheaper than most places for new guns, but have had some really great deals on used guns. Schulers in Gainesville still has a much larger stock of guns and more used guns, but they are usually expensive.

Ammo's expensive, so bring your own!

EDIT - just realized they don't have this on their site.....They have been running it so if you come to the range between 10am and 2pm, everyone shoots for $10. Women shoot free on Thursdays, which is usually when I get a group up to go shooting.

5. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

My brother goes up there all the time, that is where he shoots. He and his friends like it..but when I tell him about ladies day I expect his ammo expendature is gonna go up at that place....

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Lots of Rules

I just stopped by this place on Mundy Mill Rd. just south of Gainesville for the first time yesterday. Big store, lots of clothing. Far more apparrel than firearms! Some handguns, but not a big selection. Some fishing and boating gear, too. It reminds me of a scaled-down version of Bass Pro Shop, except they sell "black rifles" and, of course, they have both a gun range and an archery range.

I looked at the list of rules for the range. Too many to suit me. The place must be set up for idots who have never handled a firearm before. No pistol-grip long guns. No rapid fire. No drawing from a holster. Heck, no WEARING of a handgun in a holster, even if you followed the other rule about "no loaded guns" and let them inspect it at the door. They simply don't allow open carry, even while you are at the firing line, even with a verified unloaded gun.

I think I'll pass. I'm sure they'll say that those rules are mandated by their insurance company. But you know what? There are many insurance companies out there, including some affiliated with the NRA, and I'm sure not all of them have the same set of restrictions designed to discourage the kind of practice that is relevant to self-defense training. They should use their power as a participant in the free market to buy a competitor's [insurance] product.

Until they do, I'll use my power as a free market participant to take my indoor range business elsewhere.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Well, I'm originally from Oakwood, my parents live about 3 miles from the place, and I have to say, it beats the HELL out of anything else in the Gainesville/Oakwood/Flowery Branch (good luck finding it on a map!) area.

Nice folks, nice range, ridiculously high ammo prices, but nice place to shoot when I'm visiting the folks.

Although if you're coming up 985 I'm gonna warn you, it may take you 45+ minutes to get through the shithole that Exit 16 has become. Either head up Peachtree Industrial (which becomes McEver) and turn right on Mundy Mill, or skip exit 16 altogether and go to Gainesville, come down McEver, and go that way...

8. glockgirl

glockgirl Guest

i stopped there once... only really good thing I saw was free range time for ladies on thrusdays! too bad it is soooo far away

9. steelhorses

steelhorses Member

Sportsman Lodge

I've been there. No hourly rate just pay the entry fee. I didn't know that pistol grip long guns were banned there. WTF&%*#)!!!

I prefer Bullseye in Lawrenceville, it has hourly rates but you can even rent full auto firearms there hehe

10. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

Re: Sportsman Lodge

Make that CHEAP hourly rates at Bullseye. I've done 90 minute sessions there and gotten out for maybe $10 or $12 including targets (brought my own, eyes, ears, and ammo).

I did not know about renting full auto there. :woohoo:

11. steelhorses

steelhorses Member

full autos

yeah it's a blast. last time we shot a mp5 and an ar15 moded to fire 9mm. only pain is having to keep reloading the mags so fast :lol:

12. Rolan_Kraps

Rolan_Kraps New Member

CLARIFICATION!

There has been a lot of assumptions made about the rules for Oakwood Sportsmans Lodge on this board. As an employee of OSL, I'd like to respond.

Pistol Gripped long guns ARE permitted as long as they have a stock and are not fired from the hip. AR-Pistols, Krinkoff pistols, or shotguns having only pistol grips are not permitted. Period. So bring your AR (Rifles), AK - 47's and what have you (up to 50 BMG).

No Black Powder - It leaves a funny taste in our mouths and confuses the other shooters.

As for the number of rules, these were taken from NRA Guidelines and the years of Range experience of the Range Manager Walt Sippel. If you are uncomfortable with them, don't come, we won't miss having to call the ambulance for you.

Rolan Kraps
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home
    NRA Life Member
    SASS 24084 Life
    IDPA Member

13. steelhorses

steelhorses Member

Thanks for clarifying the rules. I'll be by for another visit with all my evil guns :D

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Re: CLARIFICATION!

I was gonna come by Friday but couldn't get from the Publix there at Robson Crossing to OSL (what, 3 miles, maybe?) in less than 30 minutes, so I gave up...

Seriously, I'm really glad I don't live there any more. I have no idea how Oakwood/Flowery Branch residents can even stand it.

15. Rolan_Kraps

Rolan_Kraps New Member

Re: CLARIFICATION!

Only the knowledge that it's going to get better once it's 5 lane from McEver to I-85 keeps us going. :oops: