NRA Membership Poll

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by USMC - Retired, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No - Never got around to it, but have meant to...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No - Don't wish to be

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

This may seem to be a stupid poll to some of you but, you might be surprised how many gun owners are not members of the NRA.

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:D Life
    But I could not make that financial commitment now.

3. USMC - Retired

For those who have intended to join the NRA but have not gotten around to it yet: The process is simple and can be done over the phone, online or by mail with just a few minutes of your time. As you most likely know, the NRA is the most powerfull gun lobby in the world and that power comes from membership numbers. When the NRA speaks to a Senator about Second Amendment issues he does so with the backing of over four million Americans that are NRA members. Now you may think that with those kind of numbers an individual membership wouldnt be that important, but it is! The numbers add up and each member serves to give us a powerfull voice in Washington DC. Don't delay another minute, join the NRA now! For more information please PM me or simply go to www.nra.org

4. USMC - Retired

You know, the NRA offers Life Memberships on a payment plan now. Just $25 quarterly until your paid in full. It's the simple, painless way to become a full Life Member.

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

That is how I paid for it then.

The NRA is not a perfect outfit but every gun owner should join. They are the 500 pound gorillia and we would be in a lot worse shape now if not for their efforts.

6. brianh

brianh New Member

NRA

Like a lot of gun owners I was put off by many of the political stands the NRA took in the '80s. I found Wayne LaPierre shrill and 'beyond the pale' on many of the issues. This time period was during the rise of the Brady Bunch and the emergence of the concept of 'reasonable' gun control measures like one gun a month sales limits, ammunition restrictions, extensive background checks, waiting periods, etc. The gun control crowd was riding a wave of sympathy generated by the attempted assasination of Reagan and Jim Brady's injuries. I must admit that I also thought many of these measures were reasonable and 'not too restrictive'. The NRA fought tooth and nail to stop/water down every measure and ended up looking reactionary, shrill and uncaring in the effort. Remember, this is also the time when George Bush the elder resigned his lifetime membership in the NRA over some of the more obstinant stands the organization took. The NRA didn't look too good even to gun owners.

Then the Clintons came to power and ushered in the era of Janet Reno. Suddenly the NRA looked downright psychic in it's earlier predictions of where some of these 'reasonable' measures would lead. Frankly I was stunned by what went on in the Reno justice department and for the first time I truly wondered if we were seeing the end of individual freedom in this country. The NRA had been right on just about every count. In the eyes of the gun control crowd (and their willing accomplices in the White House and Justice Department) no gun control measure was 'too reasonable' or 'too much of a burden' on the law abiding gun owner. The 2nd Amendment was virtually written out of the Constitution while Bill and Hillary were in the Oval Office.

Since then I've been a staunch supporter of the NRA. Is it perfect? No. Is it effective? You betcha'! Pass on a few boxes of ammo and sign up for an annual membership. It is well worth the investment and it may just save your 2nd Amendment rights.

7. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

The only caveats I have about the NRA is that I wish that they would get more involved in the state level. Georgia is in dire need of some "strong arming" from the NRA.

8. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I picked "haven't got around to it" because every now and then I think about joining, but then I remember some of the things that LaPierre and other NRA officials have said and done.

Wayne R. LaPierre said that no guns should be allowed in schools "with the rare exception of law enforcement officers or trained security personnel." :shock:

Charlton Heston, while serving as NRA President, went on ABC and said he is "in favor" of requiring background checks. Within a couple of months, Congress passed the "Gun Show Background Check Act of 2001". :-k

And maybe I'm overlooking something, but I don't recall any NRA people lending support for 396 or any of the other bills before the Assembly.

On the other hand, I'd hate to see what would happen if the NRA wasn't here; people like Dianne Feinstein, Ted *hiccup* Kennedy, and Chuck Schumer would twist the 2nd into a pretzel at the behest of the Brady's and their ilk.