NRA: Let People Carry on Campus

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, May 4, 2007.

1. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

They sure do throw those stats around lightly. I may be missing them, but where are the sources? :x

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Last I heard the NRA was being quiet about allowing carry on Univercities. The only thing they have supported publicly after the VT incident is more reporting of disqualifications. In fact I read an older article about the NRA supporting gun free zones, but they have not denounced or confirmed that is still there position after the shootings.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Surely not the National Rifle Association! They luvs teh guns!

4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

It seems to me that any legislation to allow carry on College campuses would have to also include a ban on a College prohibiting them on formulating a policy on banning firearms on campus. What good is it to have the state to legalize carry on college campuses only to have a University block it with its own policy to prohibit firearms on campus. I realize that it would be a huge step in the right direction, but still a road block, nontheless, would remain. And getting policy changed at a univesity/college can/would be extemely difficult if not down right impossible.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

GeorgiaGlocker, I'd actually like to her more debate on that first. I'd love to carry on campus, but private firms should be allowed to control their own facilities. I think the best way to handle a law like that would to put in a clause where if it was a state school or a private school that even accepted one dollar of state or federal funds then they have to allow carry.

Then, pressure the board of regents to allow carry for all other schools that the above does not apply to.

6. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Sure, if they can ensure my security (in writing) no problem. If they can't they should know they will be liable should anything "bad" happen to me..

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

If they are a private firm then you don't have to be there. It is your choice.

8. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

I guess that's why they call it "concealed" carry. :wink:

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Exactly 8)

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This is a good point. I would need to research more about the legal situation in Virginia to see how the colleges got away with this.

Was it tested in the courts?

In Utah, it was tested in the courts, and the universities lost.

I think we have sufficiently addressed this with a proposal for Georgia, and perhaps it will be addressed at the next GCO meeting.