Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may have heard, President Trump will be speaking at the Leadership Forum on the 28th. The secret service doesn't allow carry at these type of events. Does anybody know if they will allow us to check our guns somewhere if we are carrying at the exhibit?

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
As you may have heard, President Trump will be speaking at the Leadership Forum on the 28th. The secret service doesn't allow carry at these type of events. Does anybody know if they will allow us to check our guns somewhere if we are carrying at the exhibit?
from what ive been reading on the NRA-ILA facebook thread, there hasnt been any mention of lockers...after finding this out i may end up skipping the event altogether...

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
from what ive been reading on the NRA-ILA facebook thread, there hasnt been any mention of lockers...after finding this out i may end up skipping the event altogether...
one day ill leave building when he arrives are skip that day

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually got a response from the NRA:

During the 2017 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Georgia World Congress Center and the Omni Atlanta Hotel at CNN Center in accordance with Georgia law. However, firearms are not allowed in the remainder of the CNN Center, including the food court and shops. When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.

Concealed Carry Policy for The NRA-ILA Leadership Forum: Due to President Trump's address at this year's Leadership forum, there will be NO firearms or weapons of any kind permitted in the forum. This is a Secret Service secured event, all attendees will need to abide by the Secret Service's security policies at all times.

There will be no complimentary gun or knife check at this time. Safe storage of your weapons is the responsibility of the attendee.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,534 Posts
Gun Check

Given the last-minute decision of Trump to attend the NRA meeting ( I assume it's a recent development), I'm OK with a no-guns and no-check service policy. Yeah, you'll have to walk back to your cars and leave them there. (Big theft risk, I know !)

But had the NRA known the Prez was likely to come, they should have made provisions for safe storage of guns for people who want to be at the convention armed most of the time, but willing to disarm for the event Trump will attend.

If anybody can make a gun-check station work, and do it safely, the NRA can do it. But it would take time and significant storage space, and well-trained staff. (There's no way you could give people individual lockers. The NRA would have to collect the guns and secure them in a massive common storage area, but without stacking them on top of one another. Each gun would have to be immediately available when its owner comes to claim it.
It would be a big deal.

And it would be a safety issue, too. Handling loaded guns, many of them loaded and cocked guns (with or without any manual safety engaged) is risky. On the other hand, loading and unloading guns in a crowded public place is risky, too. Do you want all these NRA members re-loading their guns, chambering their first rounds again, and decocking them into the normal carry mode (for some guns, that may require lowering the hammer over a live round manually), and then re-holstering those fully loaded and cocked pistols? That's risky, too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, you'll have to walk back to your cars and leave them there.
This would be fine with me except I'm taking MARTA to get there.

·
BANNED (not really)
3,328 Posts
one day ill leave building when he arrives are skip that day
There's no need to leave the building. Usually these types of events are in only one of the halls at the GWCC... they'll be screening just for entry to that hall I would think.... where the special event ticket would be needed.

The show floor and the remainder of the GWCC would continue to be fine for carry.

That's how it was at an architect's show I was at a few years ago at GWCC that Slick Willy spoke at.

No need to leave the building.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.