NRA: GOA Has Mental Health Problems of Its Own

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, May 24, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://nrawinningteam.com/

Gun Owners of America (GOA) has mental health problems of it's own - compulsive fibbing. Once again, GOA is fundraising by bashing NRA for being consistent and protecting the Second Amendment. This is typical for the "hate NRA, send us your money instead" groups, of which GOA is one of the worst offenders.

NRA has always held that those adjudicated by a court to be a danger to themselves or others (i.e. mentally defective) should not be allowed to buy guns. That does not include people who have been subjected to temporary holds, voluntary treatment due to eccentric "Brittney Spears"-type behavior or service-related afflictions. In the wake of the VT shooting, GOA is now shamelessly trying to misrepresent NRA's long-held position (and federal law) as a threat to any gun-owner undergoing any kind of mental health treatment, even servicemen diagnosed with Traumatic Stress Syndrome! This is typical GOA "the sky is falling" poppycock.

Federal law ALREADY prevents those adjudicated by a court to be a danger to themselves or others (i.e. mentally defective) from buying guns. NRA is revealing the hypocrisy of having a background check system that checks mentally healthy Americans (you and I, hopefully) but is blocked from checking because someone who has court-adjudicated mental problems (and much more likely to act irrationally than you and I) is afforded special privacy concerns. That's simply illogical, unless you're GOA. Then it's logical because you can spin the removal of that block as a threat to gun-rights and use it to FUNDRAISE as financial opportunists do.

In the aftermath of the VT shooting, NRA hasn't budged one inch - they STILL hold that those adjudicated by a court to be a danger to themselves or others (i.e. mentally defective) should not be allowed to buy guns. What NRA member would want NRA arguing otherwise? Not this Benefactor Member, that's for sure.

And while NRA hasn't compromised a bit, anti-gun politicians like Schumer and McCarthy have moved all the way to NRA's position in the wake of the VT shooting. Why? Because NRA defeated both Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004 - most Democrats have no taste for gun control right now, having decided they enjoy winning (in 2006, they did not attack gun-rights and won both houses of Congress). Contrast this with their bloodlust for gun control immediately after Columbine - it's night and day. The Democrats need NRA's solution because they have to do something.

But GOA won't tell you that, they want you to think NRA is compromising their principles. (As opposed to GOA, which has no principles.) GOA's game is to spin the facts to anger NRA members, then live off those few donations (to a group as small as GOA, it's a financial boon). They create their own audience, then work hard at trying to keep them angry and donating. (And the Second Amendment can go to hell.)

GOA doesn't try to convince lawmakers or the public at large of anything. They can't, being so far out in the fringe. But GOA needs to convince YOU (and only you) that their email alerts are your RKBA salvation. They need you to believe they are relevant. But the only people that listen to them are those well-intentioned but frustrated gun-owners who fall victim to their spin and contribute their valuable and hard-earned RKBA dollars. Don't fall for it.

2. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Heaven forbid that another gun group has a different opinion than the NRA. Sure seems to me that each group should work towards what it think best, not undermine other pro-gun groups, and not bad mouth others unless the others are a wacko-crazy-overthrow-the-government-NOW types. I don't know much about GOA but the alerts I've seen from them seem reasonable. And we all know how the NRA seems to be doing lately.... :roll:

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Perhaps the NRA should pay more attention to other groups. It may give them an indication of where they have gone wrong (assuming they'll acknowledge it)

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I am surprised that the NRA even responded.

The lawsuit in NO to get people's guns back was a joint lawsuit between the NRA and SAF. SAF always mentioned the NRA in their press releases or newsletters, the NRA almost never (I want to say never but I may have missed one) mentioned the SAF in their numerous press releases.

5. Malum Prohibitum

I saw a press release where they mentioned the SAF.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yeah, I figured I missed one.

7. Taurus

Taurus New Member

I'll have to find the article(s) , but GOA is funneling funds into anti-gun groups budget...I just read about it...But GOA is anti-gun in disguise..,it's mostly a well known fact...So as the article here states, don't fall for their spin, which appears you may already have fallen for part of it....

Let me put it this way, GOA held a convention across the street from an NRA convention...GOA kicked out the NRA reporters who were trying to get the facts...

I don't side with NRA on everything, but this article holds water...

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What I would like to see will never happen, but here it goes.

The NRA, GOA, JFPO, SAF (sorry, never heard of them), and other pro gun groups should have liasons to the others. They need to a way to communicate to each other what they want, where they stand, what they are doing, and how they are doing it, along with what has worked for them and what hasn't worked for them. If the gun lobbies could find a way to work together and keep the blame game and bickering behind closed doors, they would be unstopable. All of the gun lobbies standing as a united front, with all of their members (and millions of votes) would be aforce to recon with, legislatively. You hear the NRA refered to as the 800 lbs gorilla, how about an 8 ton Gorilla, with millions of voters backing them. CGO, has had it's disagreements with the NRA, but we are working on having a liason, to help us and them communicate better and work towards common goals. This is no different.

If the pro gun groups don't stop fighting amongst themselves, hols will open in our lines that the antis can easily take advantage of. You can't fight you enemies if you are too busy fighting the people alongside you. The NRA fighting the GOA, who is fighting with JFPO, who is fighting with whoever, will get us nowhere. We all need to form a solid front, side by side, elbow to elbow.

If we could get that to happen, let the Brady Bunch try to stop us, let them Dems try to pass HR1022, let try to pass just about any anti gun bill, and watch them fail miserably. We must form a united front against our common enemies.

In the end we all want our Second Ammendment rights restored back to way they were meant to be. We all want the right to arm ourselves, to carry our weapons where and how we choose to be just that again, a right NOT a privelege like it's treated as now. If we could find a way to work together, we can acheive this goal, and win back our freedom. After all, we live in the land of the free.

Adam

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Thanks for the link, GS. :D

12. Taurus

Taurus New Member

I am having a crappy unfocused lack of concentrating, chaotic month..LOL....I try to follow and lately fit has hit the shan...so I apologize for my mis-information and apologize to GOA for this , please disregard my current state of stoopidness...

It was reffering to the American Hunters and Shooters Association (AHSA)... which has absolutely nothing to do with this post at all...

That's why I shouldn't post in work, work is a bit distracting lately...
    OMG I am off my rocker lately , just ignore me.....Somebody please come and take me away..aha..LOL.. :oops:

13. Malum Prohibitum

Are you saying GOA gave $ to the AHSA? I need proof of that. I sincerely doubt it.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

No, he is saying he mistook GOA for ASHA. So when someone said GOA he was thinking of ASHA.

ASHA is a real antigun organization.

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

In other words, everywhere above he said "GOA", replace it with "ASHA".

16. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Pretty pretty much, but then kick me in the arse to and ya might knock my head out...LOL..

I am so sorry, been running on 4 hours of sleep for 4 nights straight, so my brain is stuck in neutral.... :oops:

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That makes a little more sense.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Oh!

19. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Which is basically what I was saying. I got two words for why it won't happen though Money & Power. No one wants to share either.