Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/20/us/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-gun-control.html?_r=1

He accused Mrs. Clinton this month of seeking to “abolish the Second Amendment.†And just as he argues that casualties from the terrorist attacks in Paris last year would have been lower if civilians had been armed, he has proposed abolishing gun-free zones at military bases and at schools.

“I will get rid of gun-free zones on schools, and â€" you have to â€" and on military bases,†Mr. Trump said on the campaign trail in January. “My first day, it gets signed, O.K.? My first day. There’s no more gun-free zones.â€
The big question with Trump is, will this change?

The measures included expanding background checks to people buying firearms at gun shows and online; limiting the capacity of magazines; and banning assault weapons. “Gun and magazine bans are a total failure,†Mr. Trump wrote in his position paper. “The government has no business dictating what types of firearms good, honest people are allowed to own.â€

Those positions represent a reversal from where he stood about 15 years ago when he first contemplated a run for president. In a 2000 book, Mr. Trump supported a ban on assault weapons and a “slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun.â€
2000 wasn't that long ago.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Based on what the reporter said in the last minute of the previous video, I found the following.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-National-Rifle-Association-endorsement.html

Trump rebrands Clinton "Heartless Hillary" as he says she wants to take poor women's guns away - and demands she disarm her bodyguards! - following National Rifle Association endorsement
Well, the debates will be interesting.

'Whether it's a young single mom in Florida or a grandmother in Ohio, Hillary wants them to be defenseless, wants to take away any chance they have of survival.'

'You know the only way they're going to be able to protect themselves,' Trump said, referring to the private ownership of firearms. 'And if you take that gun away from them, it's going to be a very unfair situation.'

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true....

I'm sorry, but I am just not buying it.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If it sounds too good to be true....

I'm sorry, but I am just not buying it.
I know, I expect some hair too.
From the NYT link in the first post.
Bob Barr, an N.R.A. board member, said that despite Mr. Trump's inconsistencies, he was preferable to Mrs. Clinton, who has said that a 2008 Supreme Court ruling overturning a handgun ban in Washington was wrongly decided.

"We're all very familiar with the fact Mr. Trump does change his positions over time, sometimes over a very short period of time," said Mr. Barr, a former Georgia congressman. "The most important question in my mind is would he be better than Hillary Clinton, and the answer is absolutely yes."
And then there's this.
One area in which Mr. Trump does part ways with gun rights activists is on preventing people on the government's terrorist watch list from buying weapons.
"If somebody is on a watch list and an enemy of state and we know it's an enemy of state, I would keep them away, absolutely," he said in an interview with ABC News last year.
I would expect when someone explains "due process" to him, he will hopefully change his mind. Fortunately, there are three branches of government even though they all support the thing they are suppose to protect us against.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-clinton-speeches-to-highlight-divisions-on-guns/

Trump, who often notes that he has a concealed-carry permit, has called for making it easier for law-abiding citizens to carry guns for self-protection, saying they could help prevent terrorist attacks and mass shootings. He argues the existing background check system should be fixed, not expanded, and that assault-weapons bans do not work.

The latter view marks a change from 2000, when Trump wrote in a book that he supported the ban on assault weapons as well as a slightly longer waiting period for gun purchases.
So, he's already addressed the change from 2000.

Media bias:
The divide can be exasperating for those who seek a middle ground that would protect gun rights and improve public safety.
Protecting gun rights and improving public safety are not mutually exclusive.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
Why did they give an endorsement so early? Why not? Anyone think they'd endorse Clinton? :lol:

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
"We're getting rid of gun free zones, OK? I can tell you. We're getting rid of them," Trump announced to applause.

https://www.rt.com/usa/343838-trump-nra-gun-clinton/

Post Offices, Army Corps of Engineers land, buildings in Federal Parks, Federal Libraries, VA Hospitals, etc.

I'm looking forward to President Trump allowing citizens their right of self-defense on these properties.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Taurus92 said:
I would expect when someone explains "due process" to him, he will hopefully change his mind.
He's on *my* watch list.

“My first day, it gets signed, O.K.? My first day. There’s no more gun-free zones.â€
Someone might need to explain Legislative Process to him too.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Taurus92 said:
The divide can be exasperating for those who seek a middle ground that would protect gun rights and improve public safety.
Media bias:protecting gun rights and improving public safety are not mutually exclusive.
Yeah, what's this "middle ground" thing?

I guess if gun rights and improving public safety are on this side of the ground, then the other side of the ground would be... the Momz?

They can have the messy middle ground. I think we should stay firmly on our ground and pull THEM into it.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,414 Posts
Anybody else want some "middle ground"?
"middle ground" means "you come toward me".

We found some middle ground. It was back in 1934. It took a while, but it was discovered that wasn't middle enough. So, we went back to the till in 1968. You picked up some more middle. The taste of that ran flat a lot faster. Back to the well in 1986. Get some more of that yummy middle. Not even ten years later this time. You guessed it, the taste is all stale again. Pick up some more middle in 1994.

There's no middle ground left. You took it all.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"We’re getting rid of gun free zones, OK? I can tell you. We’re getting rid of them,†Trump announced to applause.

Post Offices, Army Corps of Engineers land, buildings in Federal Parks, Federal Libraries, VA Hospitals, etc.

I'm looking forward to President Trump allowing citizens their right of self-defense on these properties.
These "should" be easy targets and while it will take legislative action, I think the monkey will be put on congress' back. One thing about Trump, he's not afraid of the media, has a license and should understand all the pitfalls created by the anti's. Well advised, he can state the obvious and congress will have to put up or shut up.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...intons-hypocrisy-no-more-guns-protect-hillary

Fresh off of receiving the NRA's endorsement, Trump fired up his twitter account this morning and immediately got to work on just that. The Donald called out Hillary's gun control hypocrisy by saying that if Clinton wants to get rid of guns, then that mandate should include the bodyguards that travel with Clinton as protection.
The Donald's tweet:
Crooked Hillary wants to get rid of all guns and yet she is surrounded by bodyguards who are fully armed. No more guns to protect Hillary!
He also said,
“Let’s see how they feel walking around without their guns and their bodyguards,†he said

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
I'm not sure which is worse: (a) the fact that he goes around calling her Crooked Hillary; or (b) that I'm waiting for her to slap him with a C&D for defamation.
If Hillary is still out of jail after the conventions, "crooked" is probably one of the milder terms Trump will throw at her. And Bill.

·
Old Member
131 Posts
Without Divine Intervention, the next president will be Donald Trump
or Hillary Clinton! Vote accordingly. It won't be a third party!

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,697 Posts
"We’re getting rid of gun free zones, OK? I can tell you. We’re getting rid of them,†Trump announced to applause.

We know what Hillary will do. What Trump will do, is anyone's guess. Maybe he really means it about the 2d Amendment. I am voting for Trump, for one reason: Supreme Court justices. I am hoping that he would at least get that one mostly right.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.