NRA Director - No civilian assualt weapons / mags to 5 max

Discussion in 'In the News' started by jgullock, Aug 15, 2007.

1. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

:censored:storm ahead...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=277789

:shock: :evil:

2. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Unreal. If the NRA's position is changing then maybe I need to send them my lifetime membership card along with a letter why and then join GOA.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

This is disgraceful. The NRA was already in an iffy position with me. If someone on the Board is willing to say something like that to the media, I refuse to support them.

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

This just completely sealed the deal that they'll never get a penny from me.

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

This happened three years ago and the guy was fired from the NRA right after he said it!

6. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I can't get to AR-15 from work. Does that thread have a link in it with a transacript (or video) of that statement?... Not that I serious doubt its veracity, the NRA has yet to strike me as a true pro 2nd group or late, but it's always best to dig pate 2nd hand regurgitation and get to the original facts.

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Sounds like people are trying to stirr up old dirty laundry

8. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I just got off the phone with the NRA asking them about this video. The gentleman I spoke with was very familiar with the video and had received as he said "a bunch of phone calls" on it.

According to this NRA employee the board itself does not support Mr. Jackson's personal position and that when he spoke on this program it was his personal opinion he was representing and not that of the NRA or its board. He told me that the NRA leadership is against any restrictions on lawful gun owners in regards to so-called assault weapons and is strongly against any magazine carrying capacity limits as well.

Mr. Jackson was recently reelected to the board by the NRA membership and will continue to serve until the year 2010 at which point he will again be up for reelection. So he has not been fired.

According to the person I spoke with, this program, which was originally broadcast in mid-2005, was recently replayed on PBS. Evidently the replay of the program was then put on the internet by someone and now we have this statement being broadcast as only the internet can do.

At this point in time, I do not think I will leave the NRA. I think that as long as this is a board member's opinion and not the stance of the leadership then the NRA still adequately represents me on the national front. I will be writing to Mr. Jackson and asking him to voluntarily step down if he truly believes what he stated on the original program. I would urge other NRA members to do the same.

9. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

He was fired and then let back in?

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do know what 2+2 is.

10. USMC - Retired

Hmmm.... I don't see him on the board members list. I wonder if the rep you spoke to may be mistaken... :?

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Let's get the story straight.

Let's not turn GPDO into rumor mill central.

12. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Big +1 on that.

13. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I decided to recheck the information I was given, so this time I called and asked to speak with the communications department. I asked if they were familiar with the video circulating on the internet concerning Mr. Jackson and was told they were and as an organization completely disagreed with his personal opinion. I then asked if he was still a board member and was told that he was, had recently been reelected, and would be a board member until 2010 at which point he would come up for reelection. While I haven't gotten my magazine yet this month, I was told I could look on page 105 when it arrives and I would see him listed among the other board members.

While there isn't a whole lot those of us who are NRA members can do concerning Mr. Jackson at this point, if you like you can write to:

Attention: Mr. Joaquin Jackson
    c/o National Rifle Association
    11250 Waples Mill Road
    Fairfax, VA 22030

And express to Mr. Jackson your concern over his statements in the interview and ask him to voluntarily resign if that is truly his personal position. I plan on writing such a letter today.

Then, you can remember his opinion when it comes time for his reelection and urge other NRA members to vote against his reelection to the board.

Mr. Jackson's statements are fodder for the anti groups out there and we have to respond to them.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Re: NRA Director - No civilian assualt weapons / mags to 5 m

I do not know what word you used, as I am not the censor of that particular post, but as for your list and your comment about "consistency," well, I am trying, as are the other moderators, but we cannot keep up with all of the foul-mouthed little juveniles.

Ladies and gentlemen, please exercise some modicum of discretion when posting.

15. budder

I don't understand. If the NRA is willing to re-elect him, why stand by them? He's clearly a black sheep.

16. USMC - Retired

The NRA didn't re-elect him, the membership did. And like myself, the rest of the membership has most likely not heard of this before today.

17. budder

What's the difference?

EDIT: Not trying to be snarky.

18. Malum Prohibitum

"I'm the NRA"

19. budder

"I'm the NRA"[/quote:4o2436wx]
    The NRA is the collective group of people that comprise its membership. Thus, if the membership elects him, the NRA elects him. I don't think any subtleties have meaning here.