NRA Carry Guard - Do you like how its structured?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by UtiPossidetis, Apr 27, 2017.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Yes, there is another thread that was discussing two non-NRA carry insurance programs that I added the new NRA Carry Guard information to but this is a rather important topic and thought that NRA's program, and associated behavior, deserved its own thread.

As some know NRA rescinded the approval for USCCA to have a booth at the Atlanta Conference starting tomorrow. The reason is that they have come out with their own insurance plan called "Carry Guard". It sure looks plagiarized from USCCA with metal levels for membership, etc. Interestingly they will also be offering the most intense (their words) training for certification in concealed carry ever offered (ok......) with the new insurance.

NRA has made it rather difficult to find out what you are buying through their new "insurance". Unfortunately, they are not providing anything but reimbursement based on what I have been able to find so far.

From their FAQ section:

"The NRA Carry Guard insurance coverage provides civil liability protection and criminal defense reimbursement, civil defense legal fees, spousal protection, family member coverage for residential incidents and immediate access to attorney referrals. It also includes supplementary payments as needed for bail, criminal defense legal retainer fees, lawful firearms replacement, compensation while in court, psychological support and clean-up costs for any covered claim resulting from the use of a legally possessed firearm—including an act of self-defense. All benefits are insured."

"NRA Carry Guard members have immediate access to supplementary payments as needed of up to 20% of the Criminal Defense Costs limit including:
    • Attorney consultation and retainer fees
    • Bail money
    • Member loss of earning up to $250 per day
    • Lawful replacement of legally possessed firearm
    • Clean-up costs for member’s residence
    • Psychological support counseling"
    "Is the payment of criminal defense costs on a reimbursement basis?
    Yes, payment of criminal defense costs is on a reimbursement basis. State laws prohibit insurance companies from covering their policy holders’ criminal acts. Once charges against you are dropped or you are found not guilty, NRA Carry Guard protection will reimburse your criminal defense costs up to the sublimit provided by your membership level, less any Supplementary Payments made."

So, according to this you get pretty much nothing unless you win the case. You have to pay up front all legal fees (except an advance for retainer as noted above). This makes the NRA policy a VERY poor option IMHO. The entire idea about CC insurance is that it can cost a small fortune to defend yourself and shouldering all that cost up front is why you want insurance in the first place. With NRA they get all the benefits of you paying them but take no risk whatsoever.

So, three questions come to mind:
    1) Is this structured in a way to protect the individual or is it structured to provide maximum benefit to NRA?
    2) How can other insurance companies pay for the attorney directly if what NRA says above about State Law is true?
    3) Do you believe that a non-profit that is supposed to be for protecting our 2A rights, education, and public service should "disinvite" a "competitor" after they have paid their fees to attend the convention?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Good analysis. I agree. From my reading, I would not pick NRA Carry Guard, since it is a reimbursement program. Any reimbursement program means, YOU the gun owner who has been involved in a self defense incident, will pay everything up front. It is worth repeating: For Carry Guard, charges must be dropped OR you are found not guilty, BEFORE reimbursement occurs. That is a non starter for me.

Full disclosure, I am enrolled in US Law Shield and I work part time with them. I endorse the US Law Shield program, as does GeorgiaCarry.org.

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

In the interests of full disclosure, I am an NRA Life Member and have been for 3 decades. I am not affiliated with any of the various insurance programs in any way directly or indirectly.

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in a reimbursement program. I have US Law Shield and I'm happy with it. I don't understand why they say that they can't provide up-front coverage due to "state law" but US Law Shield does.

5. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

who is the underwriters for the insurance policy? I know the NRA is not using their own money!

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Chubb is referred to in the FAQ.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think the NRA is greedy, obsessed with getting money from their members, and therefore any product or service they sell or co-market is going to be a bad deal. The primary purpose of such an offer is to enrich the NRA, not benefit YOU. Whatever product the NRA offers or endorses, I've always found there's a better one for a lower price elsewhere.

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Interesting, you're thoughts parallel those presented here via YouTube:
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L8HCPrGexQ[/ame]

9. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

As I understand it, US Law Shield provides you with one of their attorneys.
    It sounds like NRA Carry Guard does not provide the attorneys, they just pay
    for third party representation (if you win). Perhaps this makes a difference in terms of state law.
    Legal Shield is another prepaid legal service that covers self defense and
    provides attorneys.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  10. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Spot on. Gun control is a very, very profitable business for them, which is their primary purpose. They don't do it for the cause. They do it for the money. But that's ok, because this is free enterprise.

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Sorry, but it's not. They have cover of IRS and other legal status that exempts them from all sorts of business obligations that genuine For-Profit businesses have to deal with on a daily basis. They are SUPPOSED to be a membership service and educational organization. The salaries are out of control, the "profit" is out of control, and the constant begging for more money is out of control IMHO.

12. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Yep. I saw that about them a long time ago. They did some very, very sleazy things when Clinton was in office, and my opinion of them as a "wholesome family organization" went down the toilet. Giving them extra money is merely lining people's pockets, and doing absolutely nothing to increase our gun rights.

13. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

NRA Carry Guard and USCCA are both insurance programs, and both are reimbursement programs with money upfront for attorney retainers. I would imagine both are regulated by state insurance commissioners, but I have not confirmed that.

US Law Shield, CCW Safe, FireArms Legal Protection and the like are prepaid legal services, and are not even remotely regulated by state insurance commissioners. And probably not even regulated by Bar associations either.

ACDL is a network of "friends helping friends" if you will, so there is no guarantee you'll receive benefits or how much benefit you will receive should you need such.

There is a difference between all of these services / products. The consumer MUST understand the difference and read the fine print on all these services / insurance products, and decide for themselves what is best for their particular situation before making a purchase.

"So, three questions come to mind:
    1) Is this structured in a way to protect the individual or is it structured to provide maximum benefit to NRA?
    2) How can other insurance companies pay for the attorney directly if what NRA says above about State Law is true?
    3) Do you believe that a non-profit that is supposed to be for protecting our 2A rights, education, and public service should "disinvite" a "competitor" after they have paid their fees to attend the convention"

1) It is structured to provide maximum benefit to the NRA. But if you look at the other providers of insurance services, or prepaid legal services, the same can be said about them as well.
    2) What other "insurance company" is paying for the attorney directly? Don't confuse prepaid legal with insurance.
    3) Tim Schmit (sp) said himself he was in a meeting with NRA executives at NRA headquarters the week before the "dis-invite" announcement was made. I'll bet he was offered a generous amount of money to cover USCCA's refund and expenses and to be polite about the whole thing. Mr. Schmit ain't stupid, he knows this is business.

And to answer the subject title "NRA Carry Guard - Do you like how its structured?" No I do not.

And for the heck of it, something to ponder; Now that the big dog is in the game, how long it will be before they start lobbying to require "training and insurance" to carry a weapon in public? Will it be a trade off for national reciprocity? Hmmmm.

Last edited: May 2, 2017