Now THIS is Gun Control!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by jgullock, May 10, 2007.

1. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Fort Lauderdale jeweler shoots 2 gunmen :)
    Two men were in critical condition after trying to rob a family-owned jewelry store in Fort Lauderdale.
    By ROBERTO SANTIAGO
    rsantiago@MiamiHerald.com

http://www.miamiherald.com/467/story/101762.html

A jewelry store owner critically wounded two armed men in a shootout Wednesday after the pair tried to rob his shop, police said.

The gun battle, at Bentley's Jewelers, 2753 E. Oakland Park Blvd., Fort Laudrdale, left the two bandits in critical condition at Broward General Medical Center with life-threatening wounds.

A police spokeswoman said it is unlikely that store owner Hugo Villalta, whose gun is licensed, will face any charges.

Under Florida law, citizens are allowed to use deadly force to defend themselves or others if someone is in danger of death or great bodily harm.

The state's new ''Stand Your Ground'' law also says that citizens do not have a duty to try and retreat before using deadly force.

''If anyone ever makes a move on Hugo, they've made a huge mistake -- I think that's what happened today,'' Carter McDonald, 47, said of Villalta, his longtime friend.

Villalta, 43, battled the two thieves Wednesday shortly after 11 a.m. with his wife, Rosario, by his side.

The Villaltas, including their son, who was in the back of the store at the time and called 911, are ''upset'' but were not injured, police said.

''We have gone through a horrible day and no one can talk today,'' said a family member, who was reached by phone.

The aftermath inside the store, which Fort Lauderdale police immediately sealed off with yellow crime scene tape, was bloody and gruesome, said police spokeswoman Detective Kathy Collins.

The first gunman, with a gunshot wound between the eyes, was found lying with his gun still in his hand.

Collins said the unidentified gunman was brain-dead. (uh, no duh! :lol: )

The second gunman, who also was not identified Wednesday, was shot in the chest.

FLED STORE

Somehow, he got out of the store and made it to his car. He later crashed into three cars, one of which was occupied.

The owner of the occupied car called 911, and within minutes Fort Lauderdale and Wilton Manors police captured him near Andrews Avenue.

SEARCH FOR GUN

''We are still looking for his gun, which apparently was tossed somewhere,'' said Collins.

Neither of the gunmen has been charged.

The entire crime scene was captured on the security cameras inside the store, said Collins, who said the grainy tapes can't be released while the investigation is ongoing.

Collins described what happened in the store:

The two men entered the store pretending to be customers.

They were buzzed in and approached the Villaltas. The men pulled out guns and shots were exchanged.

It is not clear who shot first, she said.

One gunman was hit between the eyes and fell.

The other shot his way out, walking backward, as he sustained bullet wounds to his chest and torso.

TIGHT SECURITY

McDonald said the store -- with an alarm, electronic gate, and video security system -- is set up so that the customer can't see what Villalta is doing with his arms..

''No one ever gets in without being buzzed,'' McDonald said.

``I can guarantee you, when [Hugo] presses the entry door, he has his hand on his gun at the same time.''

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I saw this story breaking on the news and had that heart-sunk feeling when they said two people were shot, but that was quickly replaced by elation when they continued to say it was two perps that got hit.

3. Dan H

Dan H New Member

OMG! I laughed when I saw this, even though it's not a laughing matter, but seriously, thats like something out of a movie!

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Sounds like he split a "Mozambique" between two guys.... :shock:

5. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

You know, that seems like a bad thing to say. Someone is going to slant that and say he let those guys in just so he could shoot them. Poor, innocent victems of a gun owning Jewelery store proprieter. In fact, they just wanted to buy a watch, but they felt it was necessary to arm themselves against such a madman.

Wait and see.

Just like that kid in Cleveland. Minding his own business when that guy started harassing them. Had to pull his (illegally acquired, owned and concealed) handgun to defend himself. If it weren't for all of his frinds setting up that shrine (and the Mayor calling the kid a victim) we would have never known the truth.

Am I just too cynical? Does anyone else see this possibility?

Possiblility? :censored: some people probably see that as the logical course of action.

Some days I hate this planet.

Really.

{rant off}

I can't believe I just typed the word " :censored: " either.

I'm going to go and hit my head against a wall now. That should make me feel better. :banghead:

edit: Oh yeah, a big thumbs up to the store owner. I don't want to see folks killed, but I really don't want to see innocent folks killed. I hope he (and his business) are able to get over / through / past this event.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

[​IMG]

BOOM.....HEADSHOT!

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

That guy looks nuts!

8. Dan H

Dan H New Member

9. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Hey, everyone knows you run faster with a knife.

[​IMG]

Gotta love pwning newbs!

10. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

He's an act, but there are actually kids like that on most public Counter Strike servers.

11. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I used to play Urban Terror in college. It was based on the Quake engine and was fun as heck. Loved it, but took up way too much time.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

"Sometimes...I think I should join the Army....cause...you know....it is like an FPS, but with better graphics!"

13. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Ramm,

Why don't you? need any info? If I get you to join I can get up to 2K, good toys with that.

14. Axeman

Axeman New Member

:D Hooray for the good guys!

Now who is going to hold there breath to see how much news coverage it gets?

My father in law lives down there and is a big time anti I just wish he would pay more attention to this sort of thing.

15. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

He just doesn't look it- he is!

16. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Join the army huh Ramm? Well, get ready for a real good butt kicking in boot camp! :shattered:

17. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Should I make this my Avatar? Its kinda growing on me lol

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Guys...it was a quote from that link....

Cause I have to finish college first.