Now that S.C. Issue is resolved, what is our next fight?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by rougeneck, Jun 6, 2016.

1. rougeneck

rougeneck Member

Nationwide reciprocity is the golden chalice but I don't think that will happen in our lifetime.

So what are the smaller battles we should take on...

2. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

Add GWCL holders to the 130 list.

3. AzB

AzB Well-Known Member

I have misgivings about getting the feds involved with nationwide recoprocity.

In general, we're getting more and more states easing up on reciprocity requirements or just going constitutional carry. So maybe no federal interference is neccessary.

Az

4. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

I totally agree, getting the Feds involved is a "Slippery Slope" issue. Besides if the citizens of a particular state won't vote to elect 2A friendly state representatives, then I have no mercy for those folks.

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Tennessee, NC, and SC need true state preemption. They all give local governments way too much leeway to ban weapons. And in SC, city, county, and state owned buildings don't even need a sign for them to be illegal to carry in.

Alabama needs to make it clear what constitutes "physical barriers" and "guards".

Georgia and Florida need to clearly decipher exactly what is private vs public property regarding weapons carry.

AZ needs to allow state park carry.

AR needs to stop allowing local governments the authority to ban guns in parks, and also needs to stop banning guns in "sensitive areas" of state parks.

MS still lets local governments ban guns in local parks, unless you have an "enhanced" license - something you only get with training, and only if you are a MS resident.

Folks, there are a LOT of battles going on just at the state level. I've only scratched the surface here.

6. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Specific to GA?
    Recognize any
    Places of worship
    Schools, colleges, etc.
    Polling places
    18-20
    Unlicensed carry in various forms

Other states?
    Try to foster communications between out legislators and those in states that don't recognize GA

Federal?
    CoE land
    Post offices
    Any other federally off-limits locations that are open to the general public and aren't secured
    Remove suppressors from the NFA
    Repeal the 1986 MG ban
    Repeal the 1968 MG ban
    Repeal the NFA overall

7. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Also...it would be helpful if GA had a non-resident construct for issuance.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Then people in states that do not honor GA's license would have no reason to fight for it to carry in GA.

9. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

It would be far better in GA if we allowed NJ, CA, and HI visitors to obtain permits, carry here, and defend themselves than to keep them as disarmed victims similar to their home states.

The only reason to keep someone disarmed is an attempt at authoritarian control over them...why must we advocate our enemy's tactics to get our way?

10. bdee

bdee انا باتمان

National reciprocity is the way to go. So even if California or NJ decides to mess with its own citizens, one can still get an AZ one.

This should be an easy one given the full faith and credit clause. It was reinforced in Obergefell.

11. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

Ga carry is about local change, other groups can handle national issues. GCO needs to stay focused.

I'd love to see:
    Campus carry

Written clarification of government buildings

Polling places

Written clarification on state owned property that is leased to private parties.

And one day......maybe not tomorrow but one day constitutional carry.

GCO only charges $20 a year, $500 life time membership. That kind of money has its limits, focus only on Ga as they have been.

You guys want national change
    1) vote
    2) contribute to a national focused group
    3) let GCO lead by example

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  12. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

:goodpost:

13. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Great list by MonkeyBoy, and I concur.

I would only add church carry. Churches need to be removed from off limits areas and should be just like any private property.

14. Coffee Kid

Coffee Kid Active Member

Wouldn't adding us to the 130 list bed a simple fix

15. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Member

What's "the 130 list"?

16. XDM40

XDM40 Active Member

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130
    Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

"The only reason . . . is an attempt at authoritarian control?"

That's just a silly statement.

We just saw the "only reason" Georgia's law is worded that way. We saw it in action. 45_Fan, I introduce you to South Carolina recognition.

Was what we just witnessed "authoritarian control?" :lol:

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I wish this was politically feasible in a state with a Governor who just vetoed HB 1060 and HB 859.

19. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

It might be less obvious, and less high profile, than a "campus carry" bill. Definitely not as hyperbole rich as "drunk children" having shootouts. Merely reducing off limits locations again.

20. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

If our Representatives and Senators had the will, they could remove the additional off-limits locations, and override the Governor's expected veto.

Maybe they just don't trust us, or love us enough?