Now living in GA

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by tanker301, Sep 30, 2006.

1. tanker301

tanker301 New Member

Hello Ye'all,
    I just purchased a house in Cumming, Forsyth County. Will be in play by Oct. 23 on a job transfer. I'm a Florida resident with a FLCCW. I understand I'm covered by my FLCCW until I'm a GA rsident. I've read the sticky on 1st timers applying but it does not have any info on out of staters or residency requirements. As I understand it: To obtain my GCL I need to be a GA resident. So...do I need to live here 3 months or 12 months...or just need a GA D.L. or a tax bill, voter registration or a combination of both/all to even apply? I've already read about the probate judge of my county and his B.S."interview" when applying before he issues. I quess I'm not inviting him to my family picnic! To the judges defense, GA law does require him to establise you as a person of" good moral character" before he issues. I'll see what can be done about getting a more pro-gun judge in place as this is a permanent move and I'll probably live in Georgia until I die. Also, how about shooting on yer owned property. I bought in a subdivsion and there rules do not speak to firearms/discharging or carrying in common places. Anyone know about Forsyth county ordanences? Behind my house is a cow farm. Gonna see if I can meet the owner and get permission to hunt his land. Sorry for the long post but I really have alot of unanwsered questions about GA carry.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Subdivision? Shooting?

There are state law requirements for a distance fomr the road. The county will likely have additional requirements for distance from property line and buildings, which is available online at municode.

3. kkennett

kkennett New Member

County sheriff recently complained in the local newspaper about a couple of guys warming up for hunting season in their backyards. As it stands, there are no county ordinances dealing with distances from property lines, buildings, etc., to the best of my knowledge. Probably one way to get such an ordinance is for somebody in an average neighborhood to begin regular practice shooting in his backyard.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

If you live in the city, the city may also have laws against discharging.

Call the probate court to find out what they will accept as proof of residence (no official requirements, many will accept a power/gas/water bill in your name addressed your new house). Pretty much once you have a GA drivers License you cannot carry in GA until you get your GFL issued, so I would wait as long as possible to get your GA Drivers License while going as soon as you can to apply for your carry license.

5. Malum Prohibitum

34-151(b)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to make, continue or cause to be made or continued any loud, unnecessary or unusual noise which unreasonably annoys, disturbs, injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of others in the unincorporated areas of the county.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Sec. 54-5. Weapons prohibited.
    It shall be a violation of this article for any person to take into a park or recreation facility any weapon, or to shoot, use, carry or employ any weapon or similar device in a park or recreation facility. This prohibition shall apply even if a person has a concealed carry permit.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

8. kkennett

kkennett New Member

The Forsyth Co. hearing on that illegal park ordinance is supposed to be October or November. The county attorney has already acknowledged that it has to go, so it should be off the books soon. The group will, of course, be kept posted.

Noise ordinances are hard to enforce. Who is to define 'necessary' or 'unusual'. Will come down to volume. Take your handy sound pressure level reading next time your neighbor is mowing his yard. You'll find it rather high. Then refer to published hazard tables for length of exposure to sounds and bargain with your neighbor that you won't turn him in for mowing and weed eating, if he stays out of your hair for the occasional shot. Put up some blind material or a sheet or foam around your shooting station and your measurements will be plenty low enough. You might get a ticket, but they are unlikely to stand up if you fight.