Nov.7 - Vote on Constitutional Amendment

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I know not all of you hunt or fish, but on the editorial pages of the AJC, after a page with an article on how burqa's do not opress women (unless you get beaten for taking it off- article did not mention that) and next to a letter from a clueless college girl titled Marriage Robs Women of Identity :roll: , there was a letter from the President of the Georgia Wildlife Federation about a constitutional amendment to protect hunting and fishing.

Vote Yes to Protect Right to Hunt, Fish

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Well, that's a no-brainer 8) Looks like it will be on the ballot.. I'll start telling everyone at work.

I'm going to give hunting a whirl next year... I agree with the guy from the GWF... we can't let that tradition die!

3. wwomack

wwomack New Member

From reading the text that will be on the ballot I don't really understand exactly what this amendment does. Does it protect anything new or give the state any more power than it had before? My first impression was that it was just fluff to make hunters and fishers happy but I may be wrong.

That article discussed how important hunting and fishing were to the state but didn't really discuss what effect this amendment will have.

4. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I don't think it actually does anything. Still I voted for it on my absentee ballot. I dearly love to hunt and would hate to see it die away.

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I think it does a little something on the margin. There already is a state statute that says about the same thing. Putting it in the constitution, and thereby making it a constitutional right, will make it harder for the government (especially local governments) to enforce laws that infringe on that constitutional right.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Exactly. :righton:

If someone makes a constitutional right out of something that is not now illegal, it becomes very difficult to make it illegal.

Think what might have happened if the Founders had argued, like so many logic and history deprived persons argue today, that since the new government had no designs on firearms like the British did, well, a Second Amendment to that Constitution thingy really would not do much of anything.

What would be the status of firearms law today?

7. Malum Prohibitum

This kind of reminds me of the debate last year over the "Stand Your Ground Law," which the antis argued was unecessary because the judiciary had imposed no duty to retreat!

"But, then, why oppose it, Rep. Benefield?" :D

Don't you know these people were hoping for a judicial reversal? Now they will not get it without a statutory change.

8. Taler

Taler New Member

JRM, If passed, will this have any impact on the nonsense passed by Roswell?

Taler

9. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Okay, okay MP and jrm, you guys convinced me of the error in my thinking. As an avid hunter of winged things, I get that special tingling this time of year at the first cold snap that must have clouded my judgment.