Not sure how to handle this one ...

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Schweisshund, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

Ok, I know I “should” report this, but I have no proof. None. At this point, it is just a suspicion. I ***think*** a Peeping Tom is visiting my property between the hours of 4 a.m. and 5:30 a.m.

I work evenings so I am up that early. 2 days/mornings ago, my dogs started a low growl, the kind of growl they do when they hear something outside. Since I come in so late from work, my dogs do not start growling until I am right outside my front door. So .....I know they heard something, and it was close to the house. I got up, flipped on the hall light and thought I saw a furtive movement outside the living room window. I, of course, wasn’t sure I saw anything, so I peeped open the front door, after turning on the porch light ...and nothing. I noticed a clay pottery had been knocked over that was on the ground underneath the living room window. That seemed suspicious to me. I later found out from my wife, that our kids knocked it over earlier that day. Ok ....everything seemed fine. I thought maybe my dogs were growling because they heard an animal (neighborhood cats) outside or something.

Well, yesterday morning ...right around 15 after 5, my dogs start doing that low growl again. I got up, and went straight to the front door and looked outside. There was someone on my side of the street that appeared to have ran to the road from my yard and was running up the street. At 5:30 am. Jogger? They were dressed in black clothing, it was freezing, no reflective clothing at all.

So ....I am currently searching for a good no glow game camera. Any suggestions? I found this on Amazon and I have no experience with them at all.

https://www.amazon.com/UncleHu-Acti...&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07Y5ZJNVX&th=1

2. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

What do you mean by "no glow"? Without the IR LEDs I don't think you have night vision capabilities.

Schweisshund likes this.

3. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Schweisshund likes this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Interesting SD. Those things state--

Is that range extendable or any you recommend that can go 50-75 feet?

Nemo

Schweisshund likes this.
  5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

All I can say is that when I was with the DA's office, we kept getting complaints about a Peeping Tom. I'd always refer the lady (or her boyfriend- both would call about this multiple times a month) to the Sheriff's office. They always said they DID, but the S/O would not arrest the pervert (their neighbor, they strongly suspected) without some proof. Eyewitness testimony, or a game camera showing his face, or something like that. Catching a glimpse of some dark-clad figure with a bandanna or hoodie over his face wasn't going to support an arrest warrant.

So, the boyfriend got a camera (cheap disposable 35 mm film camera, single-use).
    The boyfriend started sleeping on the sofa with his pants and shoes on, camera within easy reach.
    A few nights later, the woman screams at 2 a.m. So the boyfriend grabs the camera and rushes out the door and dashes to the right-- where the master bedroom window is, at ground level.

There, with his pants around his knees and his junk in his hand, is his neighbor. And his mask isn't all the way on tonight.

By the time Boyfriend took aim with the camera, Neighbor had dropped his Johnson, and pulled out a knife. So that's what the pic captured: Neighbor with his sausage swingin' in the breeze right in front of their bedroom window, pants down, brandishing a knife, and with a scarf sort-of wrapped across his head.

Boyfriend took off, Neighbor tried to chase him, but fell down. (pants were down around his knees, remember?) Boyfriend circled back to kick him in the face a few times, kicked the knife into the bushes, and ran back in the house to lock the door and call 911.

Sheriff came, knocked on Neighbor's door, and he answered with a bloody face and some lame story about how he had a nightmare and fell out of bed just a few minutes ago.

They arrested him, and thanks to the "aggravated assault" charge he could not have his bond set by a magistrate judge in the middle of the night. He'd stay in jail until the next scheduled bond hearing. Which gave the Sheriff's office time to get the film developed.

Oh, I was SO LOOKING FORWARD to that case going to trial.
    But, the worthless pervert denied me that pleasure. He pled guilty and took a decade in prison (with the possibility of parole whenever the Board of Pardons and Paroles saw fit).
    The really good cases never go to trial. They settle or plead out early.

Schweisshund likes this.
  6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

P.S. DNA tests showed deposits of his semen on the side of the woman's house right below her bedroom window. As if the case couldn't get any stronger...

7. Schweisshund

That is why I am looking at hi def game cameras. I don't want the peeper (if that is what is going on) to know they are having their picture taken. I can conceal the camera but I may end up having to purchase about 3 and set them up at different angles. They have time/date stamps so that could be useful to see what exactly is making my dogs jittery. A squirrel? A cat? Coyote? A person who was told by a probation officer to leave my family alone?

It would be a good idea to get a clear picture and have proof if that last item on the list is what is going on.

8. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Harbor Freight motion alarms are great. $11 or so when on sale.
    Put motion detector outside, alarm unit can go in or out if you just want the alarm to scare them off.
    Batteries in the motion unit last at least 3 mo. much longer in the alarm unit. I use several to protect the front of my house and loudly announce front door visitors (99% of who I wish would not be there).

9. wee

wee Active Member

Have you thought about a security camera system....? HF has a 4 camera 1 terabyte system for around $220 if you catch it on sale. I'm pretty happy with mine. The cameras do have a ring of red glow leds that can be seen at night if you look directly at them.

You can view live footage from a smartphone and even review recorded footage as well.

I'll try to snap a photo of them tonight and post if you would like.

Brian

10. Schweisshund

I actually have a system like that I just never installed it. I think a game camera is the best option. I have a row of trees dividing my property from my neighbors and that would keep it concealed very well.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Gunsmoker, hilarious, entertaining story, thanks.