Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you're a bit older. Pay attention to yourself and older relatives.

Nemo

https://nypost.com/2021/01/18/1-in-8-recovered-covid-19-patients-die-within-5-months-study/

One in eight recovered COVID patients die from illness complications within 5 months: UK study
By Yaron Steinbuch
January 18, 2021 | 8:35am | Updated

Almost a third of recovered COVID-19 patients in a UK study ended up back in the hospital within five months - and up to one in eight died of complications from the illness, according to a report.

Researchers at the UK's Leicester University and the Office for National Statistics found that out of 47,780 people discharged from the hospital, 29.4 percent were readmitted within 140 days, the Telegraph reported.

Of the total, 12.3 percent ended up dying, it added.

Respiratory disease was diagnosed in 14,140 of the COVID cases after discharge, with 6,085 of the diagnoses in patients who had no history of respiratory conditions.

The mean age of study participants was 65 years.

Many people who suffer long-lasting effects of the coronavirus develop heart problems, diabetes and chronic liver and kidney conditions, according to the report.

The research also found a higher risk of problems developing in various organs after people younger than 70 and ethnic minorities were discharged from the hospital, according to the Guardian.

continued

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Skeptical of info validity in article or skeptical of ? ? ? ?

Nemo

·
PawPaw x 3
8,318 Posts
Of the validity of the information. Mind you, I have not read the research paper but my knee jerk reaction is that numbers are purposefully skewed to fit the hysteria narrative.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Anecdotally, (FYI, anecdote is NOT the singular of data) I had a friend that died after being sent home as "recovered". I think we are going to be analyzing this whole pandemic for a while.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,694 Posts
So, are the post-recovery deaths due to weakened immune systems not being able to fight subsequent infections, damage to organs, or both?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My friend died due to uncontrollable hemorrhage, likely caused by organ failure.

·
Cross-drawer
7,068 Posts
Anecdotally, (FYI, anecdote is NOT the singular of data) I had a friend that died after being sent home as "recovered". I think we are going to be analyzing this whole pandemic for a while.
First, I'd like to say that I am sorry about the passing of your friend. I know of a few people who were discharged too early and died. In these cases, the hospitals were full, and people were being discharged to make room fore other patients. The latest I know of happened in Pensacola.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. This one hit me pretty hard. He was one of the kindest and gentlest people you would ever hope to meet. As for the article and the numbers, I am not surprised. The Pandemic went through the most vulnerable first. One number I read was that 89% of the deaths had an existing DNR order in place, indicating early victims were likely elderly and health-compromised to begin with.

Reactions: Savannah Dan
1 - 12 of 12 Posts