Not Much Activity

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by gunsmoker, Sep 22, 2016.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Is it just me, or has the chat / Q&A level in here really dropped over the last several months?

Aside from rants about abolishing government, there seems to be very little activity here and not much gun-related chat.

The sponsorship section is a ghost town.

Even the forums about gun laws on the national and state levels are pretty slow, with only a couple replies to many recent threads.

What's going on?

We need to get more new people over here to join up, chat, ask questions, and contribute their answers.

Are the pop-up ads scaring people away? It would probably discourage me from wanting to register here, if I were just visiting and didn't know much about the place.

How about using some of the revenue from selling all those ads to advertise and promote GeorgiaPacking.Org?

I'm just tossing out ideas here. But I think there's a problem.

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

As Titan308 said over a year ago in a thread about limiting access to the off-topic / political pages:

"New people actually visit this forum?

This place is about as stagnant as it comes."

Yeah, that. STAGNANT.

3. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Everyone's on Facebook. That's the real issue.

4. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

There is certainly more activity when: there is a bill in works; a civilian shooter in the news; or a local person getting arrested or hassled solely for carrying.

5. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

I check this place multiple times a day. I just don't post b/c I don't have much to add.

6. magnum

magnum Active Member

1st time I've been on in quite a while. The ads, or whatever the cause may have been, had GPDO moving so incredibly slow on my browser that it just wasn't worth the time and trouble. Seems to be OK right now.

7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Yep, that too. It's a combination: Facebook + GPDO's web host is slow/laggy/unreliable.

8. Feral

Feral Active Member

I check multiple times a day, along with various other forums.

9. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I check in regularly, and I regularly post from time to time. I guess I am not that interested in much of the political stuff or much of the off topic stuff (but I've contributed to that myself). It's supposed to be a gun forum, and the most engaging conversations here have been about gun stuff, gun law stuff, gun bills in the legislature, off limits to carry and carry topics in general. It seems that there isn't as much interesting conversations on those topics, lately. The last legislative session didn't have the big bills this time, so it's understandable there wasn't as much of a draw there. But it seems that a lot of energy has gone into non gun topics. Given the political climate, I get it. But it's still a bit sad.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have to agree with this. I still read, but don't post as much I used to.

I've burned out on all the political posts to the point to almost don't care anymore.

11. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Someone once said that this place was like a soap opera. You could be gone for months and come back to see a lot of the same stuff that was here when you left.

12. Mrs_Esterhouse

The ironic thing is the place everyone has gone, Facebook, is every bit as much of a soap opera if not more.

13. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Yep. Same baby. Different father. Or same father. Different baby.

FTFY

14. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

No, everyone's not on Facebook. As anti-gun as FB is why would anyone want to discuss anything firearms related there? I've never had nor ever will have a FB account. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

15. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I respect your opinion on FB, and yes, they are a liberal, anti-gun type of corporation. But my experience has been, no issues talking guns, gun laws, GeorgiaCarry issues, NRA issues, gun related issues at all. I think FB targets gun sales, more than anything, but I don't personally look for guns to buy, or sell, on FB. There is a lot of gun related content, a lot, that you are missing out on, that is being put out on FB. But to each his own, there are many reasons to not want to support FB, so I get that.

16. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Nope, you're not alone. I have not, nor do I have any plans to have a FB account. In all of these years since FB started, I have never felt that I've missed out on anything of any significance by not being on FB

17. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

The political forum is 1/32 of this place? Just don't click there if it bothers you.

My guess is ads, they are terrible, not to mention sometimes 10 mins just to post a single short message here sometimes, it can really try your patience.