Not another one! Home invasion

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

You think at this point somebody must be making up all these invasions. But nope guess people are just waking up and realizing the world we really live in.

Man arrested in N. Fulton home invasions

Associated Press

Published on: 08/15/06

Sandy Springs police have arrested a 19-year-old man in connection with a series of home invasions in North Fulton County.

Gregory Miller was arrested Monday night and is being held at the Roswell Jail. He is accused of obstruction of a police officer and giving a false name.

Alpharetta police also have a hold on Miller in connection with a home invasion and robbery last week. Police say a man and woman were attacked at an apartment complex, by a man who sexually assaulted the woman and used both victims' ATM cards.

He also is a suspect in other home invasions in the area.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What is "sexually assaulted?" He threatened to touch her privates? I hope they aren't using such an innocuous term to describe the horrible crime of rape.

I find it strange that there are so many men who have no firearm to protect their wives.

:cry:

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Agreed

Mine was a bit shy of it, but after she actually paid attention to what is really out there and actually read and listened she was quite glad about how responsible I am. Heck after reading about multiple intruders, she was happy about me going the next step and purchasing a few 17 round mags. At least I have enough to make a stand!

If you love your family you will exercise your rights and protect them. At least thats what I was taught.

4. misawa

misawa New Member

Yeesh!

This one has been causing me some concern for a while. Much of this predator's haunts are in my surrounding neighborhoods. Glad he was finally caught, though I'd be gladder if he would have busted in to the right house and joined his partner in crime brother in the eternal celestial dirt nap. :shoot:

Is gladder even a word? :lol:

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Some states have defined crimes that are categorized as various degrees of sexual assault, but GA is not among them. On the other hand, GA draws a legal distinction between rape and other forcible sex crimes. Rape in GA only can be committed by a man, and only can be commited against a woman (and only vaginally). The many other forcible and horrible sex crimes in GA are called "aggravated sodomy." Rape is punishable by death (although the SCOTUS has put a stop to it), by life without parole, or by 10-20 years in prison. Aggravated sodomy is punishable by 30 years in prison.

Plain old un-aggravated sodomy also is a crime, punishable by 20 years in prison. Many might be surprised to learn that "simple" sodomy includes (but is not limited to) sexual activity between consenting married people in the privacy of their own bedroom. Not until 1998 did the GA supreme court rule (over a vigorous dissent) that the GA constitution contained a right to privacy that prohibited enforcement of this statute against consenting adults (thankfully, I escaped prosecution before this judicial reprieve was handed down). The dissent correctly observed the anomalous result that consensual incestuous oral sex is now legal, even though consensual incestuous intercourse is not.

This anomalous result only occurs, however, because of GA's dichotomous view of intercourse and other sex acts.

6. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Essentially, yes. But the GA supreme court had to make its decision in 1998 based on the GA constitution, because the then current SCOTUS opinion (Bowers v. Hardwick) was that sodomy was not protected by the 14th amendment (because sodomy was a crime at common law).

7. Malum Prohibitum

So - Let me see if I have this straight?

What was universally a felony at the time the Constitution was adopted is now a fundamental right (sodomy)?

And what was a right at the time of the adoption of the Constitution is now a felony (possession of the usual military small arms)?

How did that happen?

:roll:

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

And, if you commit what is now the felony, you will get an opportunity to experience what is now the fundamental right. :oops:

9. Taler

Taler New Member

10. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Come on, MP. Everyone knows that the constitution is a "living, breathing document". :lol:

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It is a living, breathing document. No, not the way the anti's claim it is.

Anytime you want to change it all you have to do is amend it. For the Anti's, misinterpreting is the same as amdending.

12. Malum Prohibitum

The obvious implication being that, if you believe in enforcing what is actually written, then the Constitution is "dead."

:|

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

No, just a persistent vegetative state. But, we should withhold artificial nutrition and hydration and see if it lives on its own.

14. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I've always taken the position that Gunstar1 suggests. The meaning of the Constitution or its ammendments should not change simply because it doesn't fit the current political climate or a certain group's agenda.

It certainly feels like it sometimes...