North Fulton change

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by thomas_l, Mar 11, 2020.

1. kxta

kxta New Member

I received mine in the mail today.

Applied for the renewal on August 3rd downtown, it says it was issued on September 16th (44 days, which seems to be the legal limit according to GCO), postmarked September 22nd and received September 24th. So, 52 days to receive it in the mail.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It's really only 35 days now, and that's if everything takes the max amount of time:

5 days for Probate judge to ask for background check
    20 days for LEA to perform background check
    10 days for probate judge to issue license
    35 total

In practice, though, the applicant normally gets fingerprinted the same day as the application, so the 5 days collapses to 0.

In counties where fingerprints are captured digitally, they are transmitted instantaneously (well, close enough) to be processed. GCIC processes most digital transmissions within minutes. The last time we audited them, the number of transmissions processed same-day was something like 95%. The report is then automatically generated and transmitted to the probate judge. So, the 20 days also collapses to 0.

So for the very large majority of applications, the expected turnaround time is 10 days max.

In Fulton, if you go downtown and get fingerprinted by the Fulton county PD, you are in for a treat. Because they are the requesting agency, the report comes back to them, not the probate judge. They are not johnny on the spot when it comes to sending the report over to the probate judge. As near as I can tell, they just send them whenever.

Savannah Dan likes this.

3. kxta

kxta New Member

So, to "fix" things in Fulton County, it would take a change in state law to require the LEA to return the results of the background check to the probate court within a certain period of time? (Since they have performed it, but they haven't returned it very quickly.) Or are they violating the law by waiting too long to send things over to the probate court?

I guess another way to "fix" it in Fulton would be to convince additional police departments (Roswell, Milton, Johns Creek, etc.) to perform the background checks for their residents and hope they do a better job.

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

They are violating the law.

It's not the PDs. It's the probate judge. She has to "contract" with agencies to do fingerprints and background checks. Aside from other LEAs, though, in Fulton there are a lot of UPS stores where fingerprinting is authorized by GCIC. The probate judge just has to "contract" with them, too. She just refuses to do so.

I put contract in quotes because it doesn't cost her anything. She just has to say yes.

5. kxta

kxta New Member

Ahh, I see how it works now. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not...

Thanks for the explanation!

6. kxta

kxta New Member

So I just noticed that the Fulton County Probate Court web page that talks about Weapons Licenses says that fingerprinting is offered at the North and South service centers for $5 Cash only. I don't recall that being there the last time I looked. There is no residency requirement, unlike the Sandy Springs PD or the Alpharetta PD. That would be convenient for residents of all the other North Fulton cities especially, since I suppose it means there is no need to go all the way downtown.

So, could it be that she is doing it in-house, or is it just another branch office of the Fulton County PD doing the fingerprinting (and I assume the background checks for renewals)? If it is the latter, it may not fix the long time it takes to get the results back.

7. Czechmate

Czechmate New Member

I just checked and saw this too, tried to call today but no one answered. This is absolutely new. This is the same location as the probate court in Sandy Springs, right?

8. kxta

kxta New Member

Yes, it is the same location as the Probate Court in Sandy Springs. I guess we'll just wait for someone to go over there, try it out and post a report. I'm not surprised they didn't answer the phone.

9. Czechmate

Czechmate New Member

At the North service center now. They do indeed do fingerprints on site now for any Fulton county residents BUT they only have one computer dedicated to firearm permits. I came last week around 7:15 and was second on line but the computer wasn't working. Got here today at 7:30 and was 4th on line but the computer appears to be working today. Will update once I get my permit, seems like it'll be 2+ months.

10. Czechmate

Czechmate New Member

Ok, so at North Service Center I arrived at 7:30 and left at 10:30. That includes finger prints. All in all, not bad!

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It's progress, but "not bad" is being kind.

Adam5 likes this.
  12. Czechmate

Czechmate New Member

Oh yeah I'm saying that putting into perspective for what others have reported and experienced. GA really makes it as hard as they can to let us get weapons permits. Makes you think hard about moving to a state with constitutional carry

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It's not GA, it's Fulton County and a small handful of others.
    I'm not sure there are any permitless carry states with better carry laws; which state are you considering?

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  14. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

My renewal in August/September took 35 days, despite the clerk with a nasty attitude making it sound like they might get around to it at some point. By law, they only have 60 days. I'd get on them if it takes longer.

15. Czechmate

Czechmate New Member

Isn't every county roughly the same in terms of process? Of course smaller counties or counties with less residents will be better but overall it's an outdated process.

As far as other states, AZ is high on the list (also due to having family there). Not only do they not require permits, they also have a smaller number of off limits places. No civil liability for justified use of force is another great aspect of their laws.

16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It has not been 60 days for many years. Now, the entire process can only take 35 days, and the probate judge only has 10 days to issue after receiving the background check. With digital fingerprinting and reporting, the whole process should be down to 2 weeks most of the time.

17. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

You would think, but some counties issue in days or a couple weeks and some take several weeks.

I'm not sure that's true. In AZ, if an establishment posts a no guns sign, it is a crime to carry there. That alone no doubt makes more places off limits in AZ than GA.

In addition, you cannot drink alcohol while carrying in an establishment that serves alcohol in AZ, but you can in GA. In fact, you cannot carry at all in AZ while consuming alcohol. You may in GA.

In AZ, you can carry in a vehicle but if you are under 21 it has to be in plain view. GA has no such rule.

You can't carry in courthouses and schools in either state (except for public colleges in GA), so those are the same. I have not bothered to look up the silly places GA has, like nuclear power plants, state-run mental hospitals, and polling places, because those are seldom visited by most people. And, in GA you still can carry certain firearms in even those places. In fact, the only places in GA that are truly and completely off limits for possessing firearms is private colleges and k-12, and even those have a few exceptions.

GA also has that provision. GA also has more lenient use of deadly force in defense of habitation. In AZ, you only can use deadly force in your own habitation if defense of self or others. In GA, you can use deadly force even when not defending self or others.

18. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

My renewal last month took 8 days to get to me in Cherokee County. New licenses are fingerprinted on the spot. My initial license in Cherokee took 20-25 days to arrive as I recall. No, as jrm said - it's not Georgia its recalcitrant probate judges in some counties.