North Atlanta indoor .22 pistol fun competition

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by gunsmoker, Nov 6, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Hi-Caliber range in Holly Springs, GA (3 miles south of Canton, near I-575 exit #11) has a .22 rifle and pistol league.
    EDITED TO ADD: As of 1/5/2011, this game is for iron-sighted .22 pistols only. Col. Ledee and the management of HI-Caliber decided to take the rifles out of the competition, and the handguns cannot have any scopes (red dot or crosshair). Open sights only.

It actually started under the organization of our own drvr8 who came up with the idea here.

See THIS THREAD where he came up with the idea here at GeorgiaPacking.
    Then see this other thread where the folks at Hi-Caliber integrated our Georgia Packing .22 league with one they were forming under the supervison of Lt. Col. Robert Ledee, who makes an excellent rangemaster and has arranged for some cool prizes to be given out at the end of each cycle of competitions. https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=49995
    This fun .22 league is mentioned on the Hi-Caliber website. There are flyers being handed-out at the store. I hear it's being publicized on other gun-related websites, too. A lot of people came the second week, but things have been slowing down by late October and now that we've had the first shoot in November.

So we could use more people to do this.

Here's how it works:
    DATES: The 1st and 3rd Wed. nights each month, at Hi-Caliber range.
    TIME: 6:45 PM - 8:00 PM

2 classifications .22 pistol & .22 rifle.
    You can only participate in one classification for each 4-match cycle, and you have to use the same gun each time for that cycle.
    Each cycle consists of 4 matches on 4 different Wednesday nights over a 2-month period. You only need to shoot 3 of them if you want to be eligible for prizes. If you shoot all 4, your worst day's score will be thrown out and the other 3 averaged to determine a winner.
    There are two winners each match cycle. 1 from the rifle class, and 1 from the pistol class.

EDITED TO ADD: See the new posting on 1/5/2011 about the new course of fire, new rules.

Each night's shooting involves 4 targets and 20 rounds per target (80 rounds total)
    Then you will add your total score (maximum possible would be 800 points with 80 X) and divide by 4 to get your "average" for that night.

GUNS AND DISTANCES:

.22 Pistol: if it has open sights, you shoot from 10 yards. You can use 2 hands if you wish, and we usually do!
    If your pistol has a scope (crosshair or red dot) you shoot the target from 15 yards, and you must use 1 hand only.

.22 Rifle: open sights shoot @ 20 yards, optics shoot @ 25 yards. The rifle shooters also get a smaller target with the scoring rings closer together.

$15 gets you your range time and targets. .22 ammo is available to buy at the shop if you need it. No "match grade" ammo allowed. So far, there are no restrictions on "match grade" guns.

The first match cycle ended in late October, and a few days ago we started the next match cycle. If you missed the first shoot, it is not too late to get in on the fun and still be eligible for a prize. There are still 3 more shoots scheduled in this cycle. The 3rd Wed. of November is the next one.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or call Hi-Caliber @ 678-880-8764

Store website: http://hicaliberfirearms.com/

We hope to see some more of you Wednesday at Hi-Caliber.

POSTION: Standing, unsupported. No leaning on the bench, the walls, or your range bag.

Photos of the two targets. The large one is the pistol target, and the smaller bullseye is the rifle target.

[​IMG]
    The revolver in the photo is a S&W model 34 "kit gun" J-frame square butt 4" barrel.

Here's a photo of a hand-out showing [some of] the rules and illustrating how the different kinds of guns should be fired from different distances.
    [​IMG]

2. Re: North Atlanta indoor .22 rifle and pistol fun competition

Is there a age limit on this ? I think my 13 yrold might do well in the rifle class

3. hailcat

hailcat Guest

Re: North Atlanta indoor .22 rifle and pistol fun competition

we welcome young shooters! we have had several in the past, and one that has been to almost every competition. i think that we have done a pretty good job of creating a very good environment that is not intimidating to young shooters and women. this is strictly for fun, and a good opportunity to hone your skills and meet some new folks. we hope to see you next week!

gunsmoker: thanks for posting the updated rules on a new thread. i have been pretty slack in this department. i will have the scores of last weeks shoot posted on hi-c's website tonight and link to it here on this new thread. i look forward to seeing you all again next week!

4. hailcat

hailcat Guest

one other thing, if he does choose to compete in the rifle class, there is only one other competitor, me! there were no other rifle competitors in last weeks shoot. i won pistols last go round, so i was banned from shooting pistols during this competition. i am using an old pump action winchester with iron sights, so i'd say he probably has a pretty good chance of beating me...especially if he uses a 4x scope!

5. hailcat

hailcat Guest

11/3 league scores are posted here.

6. gunsmoker

If anybody who wants to play this game is in need of a loaner pistol, let me know.
    I have a Browning Buckmark with a 5" barrel and iron sights (not colored--just all black) that is known to shoot tight groups. (Just get in touch with me ahead of time, so I know to bring it.)

And if you're in the market to BUY a .22 semi-auto pistol with iron sights that would be great for plinking, training in the fundamentals of marksmanship, rimfire action shooting games, and this indoor .22 league, check out this 4" barreled Buckmark for sale for $325, and it has aftermarket high-visability sights. (Great for indoor ranges where the lighting in your lane may or may not be great).

https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53137

7. bagel

bagel New Member

Is a sling considered support?

8. gunsmoker

I have not used a sling in the competition, and I don't recall seeing anybody else use one either.
    But I never heard there was a rule against it, specifically.
    Come out to Hi_Caliber tonight and let's see! You can ask Lt. Col. Ledee himself.
    I don't think the use of a "hasty sling" is a great advantage when shooting from the standing position anyway.
    It's a huge advantage when you can plant your elbow on the ground and really get that sling tight, like you can do from the prone or sitting position. But we shoot standing.

REMINDER: Tonight is the 3rd Wednesday night of the month. So it's ON for 7 p.m. start time.
    I'm pretty sure I can't make it tonight. Y'all have fun and I'll check the scores in a few days after Jon gets them posted.

9. gunsmoker

I missed yesterday's shoot.
    Today I went to do a practice run with a different pistol.The 4" barreled small-frame .22 revolver. S&W M34 "kit gun."

I put the target at about 12-13 yards. I wanted to give myself a bit of a "handicap" over the standard 10-yard distance.

I ran two targets, the same ones we use for pistol in the .22 fun league. 20 shots at each target, 2-hand hold, at a moderate pace. It took about 1 minute to fire each 6-round string (then two shots to make it an even 20).
    Ammo as cheap Winchester high velocity hollowpoint, bulk pack.

SCORES: 189-2x, and 184-3x.That appears to be really close to what 1clear shot and Drvr8 have been getting for their open-sighted pistol scores.

I think I'll ask Col. Ledee if I can discontinue using the scoped target pistol and start using the S&W mod 34 at 10 or even 15 yards.

P.S. The all-black sights on that pistol just blended into the target. I brought a different type of target along with me that was orange, not black, and I shot a much tighter group at 50 feet with the orange target compared to the big black target at only 36 feet. Black on black = no contrast = hard to use the sights properly.

I guess we could deal with this by setting our pistols to shoot 5" high at 10 yards, and then aiming for the bottom edge of the black bullseye. So even though we're aiming at the outside edge of the 7-ring, our bullets should be hitting up in the 10-ring area. But I'd rather not mess with my sights that much.

10. gunsmoker

REMINDER: Wednesday of this week is December 1st. So this Wednesday night we have the 3rd shoot in this match cycle.
    I hope to see y'all there. Let's try to get a bigger turn out for 12/1/10 shoot than we had a couple weeks ago.

11. hailcat

hailcat Guest

I am a little late on posting the scores for the last shoot on 11/17. We only had three people total show up; I hope we can get a better turnout tonight! The league scores can be seen here.

12. hailcat

hailcat Guest

We had a much better turnout tonight! I was glad to see a couple of new faces. The 12-1 league scores can be seen here

We may change some things up a bit after the first of the year to attract some new folks. Keep your eyes peeled for a new thread where we will ask for some ideas that may help drag some new folks out of the house a couple of nights a month!

13. gunsmoker

Well the ice storm kept me away from Cherokee County.
    I was sliding all over the roads tonight, and finally made it home safe.
    Saw numerous cars in ditches, some on their side and one fully wheels-skyward.

Was Hi-Caliber open tonight for the .22 league final shoot of this match cycle?
    I tried calling, but got no answer.

14. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

I was gonna sneak out from work at 6 and head up to Hi-Caliber. Then co-worker told me that I-575 was shut down....

15. gunsmoker

Wed 1/5/2011 should be the next date for this shoot.
    I'm not sure if it will be the 4th and final shoot of the last match cycle or the 1st day of a new match cycle.
    I'll bring the .22 pistols and a .22 rifle and shoot whatever game we play Wed. night.

16. gunsmoker

We had 5 shooters today. Col. Ledee introduced some new targets and new rules. Here are the highlights.

1-- PISTOLS ONLY. This competition will now be for .22 pistols, open sights only. You can use a two-hand stance, but still no resting on anything, no leaning on the walls, etc.

2-- DIFFERENT TARGETS. The targets and distances will vary week to week, but it seems the "preferred" distance for .22 pistol shooting will be 15 yards. That's the distance we should sight-in for.

3-- FEWER SHOTS. Today's course of fire was 50 shots. 5 shots each on a total of 10 medium-sized bullseyes, 5 per sheet of paper.
    Expect that the 80-shot marathon matches are a thing of the past. Future matches will involve less shooting and a more interesting variety of targets.

4--WEEKLY PRIZES: Small prizes will be given away each and every week, but the bigger prizes will come at the end of the match cycle (after 4 shoots). For the small prizes (lock-back knife, sunglasses, hiking socks, etc.) they will be given away based on an always-changing rule or formula that Col. Ledee will come up with just before each match begins. The small prizes will not be given automatically to the "highest score" shooter that day.

NEW PROBLEM TODAY: We had a problem with the targets wobbling and bobbing and swaying. If you moved your target, it took a few minutes for it to settle down, but if some other shooter in the lane next to you moved his target, yours would start wobbling too. I have never had this problem at Hi-Caliber before.

I had a pair of binoculars with me, so I only had to move the target when it was time to change it for a fresh one. No need to reel it in just to check the bullet holes.

P.S. The Wed. 1/19/11 shoot is CANCELLED, because Col. Ledee and a bunch of other HI-Caliber people will be at the S.H.O.T. show in Las Vegas. But we will start back up on the first Wed. of February, which is the 2nd.

17. gunsmoker

Wed. 2/2/2011 is the next date for Hi-Caliber's .22 pistol fun league.
    Come win a prize. Come have fun.
    Come see a bunch of different .22 plinking and casual target pistols in action, both revolvers and semi-autos.
    You only need 50 rounds of ammo and it won't all be fired at the same target.
    See you at 6:30 p.m.

18. hailcat

hailcat Guest

thanks for keeping up with this; i have really fallen down on the job of advertising.

19. gunsmoker

Not sure if I'm going to be there, may have to work late.
    But y'all be sure to tell the rest of us how it went!
    I've got my Buck Mark sitting in the back of my vehicle, so if I get the chance, I'm heading to Hi Caliber right from the office.

20. hailcat

hailcat Guest

you just stay at work; maybe the rest of us will have a chance of winning.