North Atlanta GCO meeting July 19th 2018

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by DonT, Jul 12, 2018.

1. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

For those interested, the North Atlanta chapter of GeorgiaCarry.org will have our next meeting and dinner on July 19th, 2018, 7 pm, at Williamson Bros. BBQ, 1425 Roswell Rd., Marietta. Come join us for a great BBQ dinner (we'll order off the menu), and discuss the latest 2A and GeorgiaCarry.org related issues of the day. We have LT Edwards from the Cobb County Sheriff's Office coming to speak about their missions, and best practices for armed citizens interacting with LE.

2. DonT

For those who are interested, this is tonight! We have two deputies from Cobb County Sheriff's Office as guest speakers. Should be a good one.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

That was a great meeting, and the guest speaker (a Lieutenant from the Cobb Co. S/O) had a lot of excellent info about the need for self-defense, voluntary training, citizen-LEO encounters, show the permit or not, disclose the presence of a gun or not during a routine traffic stop, etc. There was even a question about an armed citizen coming to the aid of a cop who is under attack. Interesting stuff!

And the food was great, of course.

More of you folks who are on the north side of the ATL metro should have come out. We had room for a dozen more attendees. Williamson Bros. BBQ set aside a whole room for the meeting.

Thanks Don, and Buddy, for organizing this.

P.S. The officer started out by explaining the difference between a Sheriff's Office and a County or municipal Police Department. Something SheriffOconee and Legacy38 have schooled us on before, here at GeorgiaPacking.

4. DonT

Glad you could join us! I can't add anything to your summary. It was a good meeting. I wish we could have gotten more attendance, was the only downside.

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Can you briefly expand on his take?

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

He was in favor of armed citizens disclosing that fact to cops, when those citizens are pulled-over while traveling with firearms (either wearing them or having them somewhere in the passenger compartment). He says the motorist's frankness will put him at ease, whereas if he (well, some other officers with less experience dealing with armed citizens maybe...) doesn't know about the gun but suddenly spots it, his alert level would go up and things could get tense.

And he says showing your GWL to an officer should also put him or her at ease, because it really does show that you're a bona-fide "good guy" (or gal) with a gun. He knows that the law doesn't allow cops to stop armed people and demand to see their carry permits, and he's not disagreeing with that, but if the circumstances are that he asks about it, and you have one, it's good to tell him and offer to show it.

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I know I can't just come into your home, but it would make me and my companions much happier and more relaxed if you just let us in to take a look around.....

8. DonT

When LT Edwards said that, I made the comment that every armed citizen has to make that choice to be forthcoming on being armed, or not. It is not a wrong answer to reveal the information, but it also presents a risk when interacting with an LEO who is not a reasonable guy like LT Edwards, when it comes to armed citizens. LT Edwards said he would like to know if the motorist was armed, but he was more favorably disposed to the citizen and thought it showed respect and being forthcoming to the officer. I pointed out that the reason I recommend caution and not revealing in most cases, is because of the few officers out there who will automatically overreact to the presence of a firearm. The example I gave, was when we had a local PD officer attend a chapter meeting a year ago. His attitude was, if he is told there is a firearm, he will disarm the citizen. He was clear and calm about that. His tactic was, to ask the armed driver at a traffic stop, to place the gun on the dashboard!!

Of course, LT Edwards did not agree with that. He agreed that it is a choice to reveal or not. Clearly, LT Edwards was on our side and wants citizens to be armed, responsibly and safely, for our protection.

9. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Glad you challenged his position. My problem is that I can't tell who the adults are and who the Barney Fife's are when the come up to the side of my car. I've had two interactions at traffic stops in the past couple years when I was armed. I took the don't ask - don't tell approach and was perfectly happy and safe both times.

DonT likes this.
  10. moe mensale

Correct. We don't know them and they don't know us. Why introduce potentially stressful variables into the mix?

DonT likes this.
  11. moe mensale

That seems like a very reasonable request. :popcorn: