Noob to training

Discussion in 'Training' started by Rashad Newman, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Rashad Newman

Rashad Newman New Member

Looking or an affordable beginner pistol class

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

3. Peach

Peach New Member

I took one at Stoddards, it was $69. If you're near one (they're in Douglasville and Atlanta), I'd definitely check that out.

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Many ranges have a basic pistol class that covers pistol basics and safety. It is just a matter of what level you're at and what you'd like to learn. Some ranges also offer one-on-one instruction.

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Most indoor shooting ranges have an in-house instructor or an agreement with an independent contractor who regularly holds classes at that range.
    "Affordable" would probably mean around $100. The classes tend to be small so that the instructor can keep a close eye on everybody and do a lot of hands-on demonstrations for the right techniques.

What cites are close to you? We can help you identify some ranges to call and ask.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Also, what are some of the goals you want to achieve through training and instruction?

Any class for beginners should start out with gun safety, either just in the classroom or both learning in the classroom and then going over it again on the range.

Any basic pistol class should have classroom instruction on the principles of how guns work, the difference between a revolver and a semi-auto, learning the terminology about the parts of a gun, and the basic steps in the operation of most common pistols in revolvers (how to load the cylinder, how to insert or drop the magazine, extracting an unfired round safety, etc.).

Any basic pistol class should teach the fundamentals of marksmanship--sight alignment and trigger squeeze (or "trigger press" or "trigger pull.") And part of the range time should include slow-fire shooting where your goal is to aim the weapon carefully and shoot slowly to get a good group of shots tightly clustered over the center area of the target.

That might be the end of a "basic" pistol class. Or they might continue to more advanced material like how to draw a weapon from concealment, how to shoot more rapidly, shooting one-handed, doing magazine changes with some speed and then shooting as soon as you've reloaded your weapon with that new magazine, etc. Often those skills are not part of a basic pistol class, but would come in an intermediate class or a "defensive handgun" class.

7. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Also, I believe there are some instructors who are active on this forum. Not naming any names, but one particular nice guy I sold a gun to. Maybe he will chime in and offer his instructor services.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I guess since I was almost called out I will chime in. Anyone interested in training in the Marietta area can PM me for more information. This does not limit you to being in Marietta. The class is just held in Marietta 30008. I have a basic pistol class scheduled for 08/11/2018. I can set up an advanced shooting fundamentals class if you are interested in more advanced training.

9. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I am the in house instructor for basic pistol at Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna. $99.99. I have two 10 student classes scheduled per month. PM me for more info, if interested.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I know two of your students who spoke very highly of your class.

11. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

I just didn't want to speak for you, especially since I didn't know what types of classes you taught.

12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I teach about everything from basic gun safety to long range shooting. The long range class is not a one day class and are a little pricey for the average shooter. But if someone is seriously interested the class is a one on one instruction. Advanced shooting fundamental class is not stand up shoot at a target straight down a range lane but is multiple targets in multiple directions. It also includes random shoot/don't shoot targets and sights/no sights aiming (AKA: point shooting).