Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who all has had irrelevant or nonpertinent questions put to them on the form or by the person/clerk to whom one must make application?

O.C.G.A. 16-11-129 "Applicants shall submit the application for a license to the judge of the probate court on forms prescribed and furnished free of charge to persons wishing to apply for the license. Forms shall be designed to elicit information from the applicant pertinent to his or her eligibility under this Code section but shall not require data which is nonpertinent or irrelevant . . ."

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Examples:

Social Security Number?

Why do you need a license?

What color underwear are you wearing?

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surely nobody is asking THAT! Those are specifically mentioned as no-no questions in the statute . . .

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Well it also says "no longer than 60 days". If they can't follow one, they might not follow any.

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, NOBODY is being asked anything but relevant data on the appropriate form? Wasn't there a post about somebody in Fulton being asked extra questions?

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Taler said:
I applied last September in North Fulton (through the annex). Still waiting.

A couple of things about the process were disturbing:

First, nowhere in the code (at least as far as I can find) is there a requirement to provide your Social Security card/number. (Court demanded to see the card itself). I had to retrieve it as I DO NOT carry it on my person.

Second, they asked why I wanted a permit, the implication being that, without a valid reason, the application would be rejected. (I told 'em "for self defense," as I figured "God given Right" or "Constituional Guarantee" might not be among the responses for which they were looking.)

That being said, 60 days came and went a long time ago, and as of today, its been 5 3/4 months.

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was it! Has anybody else checked this out?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I too had to go back home and find my SS Card. That also delayed my wife applying for a CCW as she could not find it. She has now, so no further excuses.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
I am keeping an updated list of problem counties at the bottom of the packing.org Georgia page.
http://www.packing.org/state/georgia/#localities

DeKalb - Show SS Card
Forsyth - How many guns and what kind they were
Fulton - Show SS Card / Why did you want the license.
Pulaski - Wanted to know all arrests, regardless of outcome.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Fulton

Fulton asked me why I wanted a permit in 1981. So they have been asking that question for a while. They did not ask for my SS card back then if I remember correctly

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Why do you want a firearms license?" asks the clerk.

"Why," you answer, surprised by such a question, "to carry a gun, silly. Don't you know it's illegal to carry my gun without it?"

:roll:

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have someone applying in Fulton who is going to refuse to give his ssn, at least at first . . .

He is not willing to stick it out, though, or make an issue of it, as he wants his license. I will report what happens.

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Meaning what? Disclose the number but do not show the card?

I think it is the actual number that the federal Privacy Act protects, not the card.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Fulton and DeKalb will not issue unless you give them your card. They wont even accept just the number.

It is one thing to not issue unless they have the number, but those 2 counties will not even accept the application unless they write down the number from your authentic (not copied) SS Card.

·
69,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anybody have a copy of the state supplied form for comparison?

It might be helpful to me if some of the members here could swing by their local probate courts and pick up a form and send it to me.

That will quickly show whether the counties are using different forms.

I suspect they are not all requiring SSN, but at this point I am not sure whether the state supplied form does, either . . . GS1, if anybody has a copy, I suspect it is you . . .

·
Registered
994 Posts
They required SSN is Cobb when I applied in March. Wouldn't accept the application without it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts