Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one (that I can receive by mail) is the best to get?

I've got a request in to Florida and Virginia for forms for both. As I understand Florida requires a training course but I also understand this is easy to fulfill.

If a Utah class is ever offered again, I'll be the first to sign up, but until then, I basically need a way I can carry legally in Virginia. South Carolina carry would be nice but I'm not going to hold my breath.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
FL gives you way more states than VA and is available by mail. VA requires training as well as FL. If the only state you want is VA then there is advantage to getting the VA permit. No having to explain to Barney Fife that this permit is valid.

Open carry is legal in VA but glove box carry is not without a permit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
Can't you OC in VA without a permit? Or does that not apply to non residents?
Yes you can OC in VA without a permit. I've done it on a few occasions with on problems. The law doesn't specify that one must be a resident to OC. You simply have to legally owe the firearm IIRC.

ber950 said:
Open carry is legal in VA but glove box carry is not without a permit.
This is correct as well. No permit=gun in plain view.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts

·
Token Liberal Hippie
Joined
·
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ber950 said:
FL gives you way more states than VA and is available by mail. VA requires training as well as FL. If the only state you want is VA then there is advantage to getting the VA permit. No having to explain to Barney Fife that this permit is valid.

Open carry is legal in VA but glove box carry is not without a permit.
Thinking about getting both.

And I know unlicensed OC is OK in VA. I may or may not have had it in the glove box... :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
Yea, there isn't a point in me applying for non-res licenses as of now. I probably won't be in this state for longer than just over a year from now. By the time I get it, the chances of me going to non-GA-recip. states are slim to none.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
If all you care about is being able to carry in VA for now just get a Pennsylvania license. It is recognized by VA. It cost a little over $20 and is good for five years. There is no training requirement and you can get it through the mail. You will get it in about a week or two. Get it from the Centre County Sheriff.

P.S. What you get is cheaper looking than the GFL except it has a photo of you taped to it. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,974 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
If all you care about is being able to carry in VA for now just get a Pennsylvania license. It is recognized by VA. It cost a little over $20 and is good for five years. There is no training requirement and you can get it through the mail. You will get it in about a week or two. Get it from the Centre County Sheriff.

P.S. What you get is cheaper looking than the GFL except it has a photo of you taped to it. :wink:
It will also let you carry in Arkansas.
 

·
Professional Troll
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
Florida issues fairly quickly too. I got my Non-res from Florida in 36 days. The license is very nice looking too, not a hacked up laminated index card like ours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
ICP_Juggalo said:
Florida issues fairly quickly too. I got my Non-res from Florida in 36 days. The license is very nice looking too, not a hacked up laminated index card like ours.
Is yours signed by Charles Bronson? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
ICP_Juggalo said:
Florida issues fairly quickly too. I got my Non-res from Florida in 36 days. The license is very nice looking too, not a hacked up laminated index card like ours.
Is yours signed by Charles Bronson? :lol:
Yes :shock: :D
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top