Non-resident permits

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by gsusnake, Sep 14, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Which one (that I can receive by mail) is the best to get?

I've got a request in to Florida and Virginia for forms for both. As I understand Florida requires a training course but I also understand this is easy to fulfill.

If a Utah class is ever offered again, I'll be the first to sign up, but until then, I basically need a way I can carry legally in Virginia. South Carolina carry would be nice but I'm not going to hold my breath.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Can't you OC in VA without a permit? Or does that not apply to non residents?

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

FL gives you way more states than VA and is available by mail. VA requires training as well as FL. If the only state you want is VA then there is advantage to getting the VA permit. No having to explain to Barney Fife that this permit is valid.

Open carry is legal in VA but glove box carry is not without a permit.

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Yes you can OC in VA without a permit. I've done it on a few occasions with on problems. The law doesn't specify that one must be a resident to OC. You simply have to legally owe the firearm IIRC.

This is correct as well. No permit=gun in plain view.

5. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Will you please post the link or address to request the Florida License. Thanks

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

7. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Awesome... very prompt response... thanks so much

8. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I plan to get a UT permit, so I don't need my FL paperwork. If you don't want to wait for FL to send you a copy, I can give it to tace tomorrow morning and he can pass it on at the fun shoot.

9. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Thinking about getting both.

And I know unlicensed OC is OK in VA. I may or may not have had it in the glove box... :oops:

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, there isn't a point in me applying for non-res licenses as of now. I probably won't be in this state for longer than just over a year from now. By the time I get it, the chances of me going to non-GA-recip. states are slim to none.

11. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Thanks Budder, but I am in no hurry. I will wait for the mail and I am not attending the fun shoot. But thanks so much anyway. :)

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If all you care about is being able to carry in VA for now just get a Pennsylvania license. It is recognized by VA. It cost a little over $20 and is good for five years. There is no training requirement and you can get it through the mail. You will get it in about a week or two. Get it from the Centre County Sheriff.

P.S. What you get is cheaper looking than the GFL except it has a photo of you taped to it. :wink:

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

It will also let you carry in Arkansas.

14. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Florida issues fairly quickly too. I got my Non-res from Florida in 36 days. The license is very nice looking too, not a hacked up laminated index card like ours.

15. Claire

Claire New Member

16. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Is yours signed by Charles Bronson? :lol:

17. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Yes :shock: :D

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The Utah license is so official looking that my son asked if it was a Utah driver's license.

19. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Already have your son asking for ID, huh? :lol: