Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a townehome in Woodstock about 2 months ago. The first night there, neighbors tell us they are having people over and if they get too loud to let them... so when they got loud, we told them. We couldn't hear their music at all, but what we did hear is their bass. It'll give you a headache. But no big deal, they turned it down that night.

About a week later, again, same issue... the bass. We informed them, nicely, that its not their music or TV volume, its their bass. They turned it down. That next week, the guy made comments about us being nitpicky to my wife in a not so nice tone while I wasn't home. She ignored him and let it be.

For the next couple weeks it wasn't all too bad.. we could hear it here and there throughout the day, but nothing insane. The girl/wife that lives there asked my wife about it and my wife mentioned that yes, we could still hear it and suggested that maybe the bass just be turned off. It was woken up our baby multiple times and has given us a couple headaches... and again, the guy/husband that lives there makes a rude comment to my wife about it in sort of an aggressive tone so my wife ends the conversation and goes back into our house.

Well, about 2 nights ago they have people over and could hear it in our living room vaguely, but wasnt a problem, we didn't want to be too nitpicky, it was a Friday night afterall. That was relatively early in the night.. then from about 10pm - midnight, it got progressively louder and louder. Very apparently that the more they drank, the less they cared. So it ticked me off, but I was still going to be nice about it.. so I went over there to ask them if they could turn it down, afterall, its midnight. The girl answered the door and I told her the problem. She tries to wonder if its because their windows are open and if our windows are open. I told her that wasn't the problem... its not the noise that bugs us because we can't even hear it. Its the bass. She then asks her husband if anything could be done about it. I hear him sigh a bit loudly then start to spout off "You know! This is starting to get ridiculous" .... as if I were the one interfering with his peace and quiet.

At that point, I couldnt control myself and we got into a shouting match. Probably not a good idea, but I had to let them know what I thought about their arrogant and inconsiderate attitudes of theirs. After a while into the shouting match I thought it would be best that I just leave, but I really wanted to hit the guy or something. Also, he never seemed to even want to come to his own door to talk, he just stood safely in the back corner of his house. So I left and steamed on it for a couple hours.

The next morning, we wake up to find eggs in our front yard.. obviously thrown from the direction of their house. We call the police to file a report. We just wanted it on record incase anything else were to happen between us. The cop gave us a few suggestions to handle the situation (mainly contact HOA) and mentioned that Cherokee County has a 12midnight noise ordinance. Seems a bit late to me, but the HOA covenant should have something else about noise. He mentions something about disturbing the peace law and whatnot but nothing with any advice as far as legal action. So we thank him for listening and filing a report and go about our business. That day was good.. not a whole lot coming from their place.

The next day (today) however, diff story. After I left for work around mid day, my wife says that she started to hear the bass again thru the walls.. and it just went on and on. I told her to not go over there and to just call the police. She said she wasn't going to worry about it at that time anyways because she was going to church just then. She walked outside to the car and noticed a sheet of paper on their front door saying "PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU KNOCK...etc" and she said it cited some law or HOA ordinance about knocking on doors or disturbing neighbors.. nto sure, she didnt take a picture and didn't remember a whole lot of what it said. Basically addressed to us.

Well, she gets back from church and still hears the bass (7pm-ish) and not too long after, sees them drive into their driveway. They weren't even freakin home all day... but left the music on anyways.

So, I ask you legal guru's.... what should I do? what CAN I do?

We are going to contact the HOA tomorrow...and management company runs our HOA for right now while the community is being built and will be handed to the residents when complete.

These neighbors also have many complaints against them concernign their two large dogs (Boxers i believe) running around w/o leashes. So we're going to get more neighbors to call in complaints about that.

But honestly, a few fines from the HOA probably won't stop them. My wife fears them both over there... the guy has anger problems and the girl is bipolar (admitted this to my wife).

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Challenge the male neighbor to a game of "Reauchambeux," and be certain to say that you'll go first! :lol:

·
Registered
663 Posts
It sounds like you are doing everything you should.

I would keep that note- never know when it might come in handy.

If the noise is unreasonable in the daytime, I would probably call the cops. Whenever you hear noise past 12pm, call the cops. Simple as that. They will probably get sick of having to deal with the police.

A voice recorder when you deal with them and possibly a security camera for your home would go a long way, and possibly be good investments beyond dealing with them.

Keeping a record of any and all interactions with them is probably a very good idea.

Dealing with the HOA will also be effective if you can get your fellow neighbors on your side. That's exactly what the HOA should do- make it easier for homeowners to band together and protect themselves and their communities.

As for what in the law you can use right now, I'm sure someone can chime in here for ya.

Now I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't be tempted to stoop to their level..... I'm a bit of an audio guy, and my subwoofer is built primarily to reproduce frequencies you "feel" and don't "hear." I live in an apartment complex and have gotten into a couple "competitions" with adjacent apartments, but all in good fun. :) It usually ends when all of my glassware is shaking and the air conditioner duct is rattling. :) Fortunately, in an apartment complex, its much easier to deal with people being genuinely rude and obnoxious like your neighbor.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Reasoning backed up with pertinent ordinances, then if needed you can video and audio tape for evidence and follow up with documentation in the form of a Police report. This will start a paper trail that will provide legitimacy for your accusations.

Some neighbors just don't play nice and have little respect for anyone else for that matter.

·
GPDO Supporter
3,508 Posts
security camera and a great opportunity to excersize your right to OC :shock:

·
68,458 Posts
Black out your face with camo, insert a knife between your teeth, slither in through an open window, and quietly slit the power cord.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Years ago, I owned a condo, and had a similar problem; except I was the guilty party. My wife and I were very young and loved our base-heavy music. One day our next door neighbor (a very sweet, older lady) knocked, and asked if I would come next door. She had 3 or 4 shelves mounted on our common wall with at least 30-40- ceramic figurines. They were vibrating, and "dancing" all over the glass!

I felt terrible to cause this dear lady stress, and promised to cure the problem. I bought a few rolls of compressed cork (about 3/16' or 1/4" X 3' or 4' X about 12'), and glued it to the entire wall. A few boxes of 3 or 4 inch tongue and groove cedar strips, installed at a 45 degree angle, and I had a beautiful wall that eliminated the problem.

I don't know if this is feasible, or will work, but I wish you the best!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yep, you have a problem, but you also have many options. Many are outlined in my favorite recipe book:

Spite, Malice and Revenge: The Ultimate Guide to Getting Even (3 Diabolical Volumes in 1) (Hardcover)
by M. Nelson Chunder (Author)

With this guide and a little effort you'll have your neighbors suicidal in a matter of days---or, looking forward to a condo in hell.

It's true, what's goes around comes around.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Jeeze, that's annoying. Good advice above: call the cops if it's ridiculously loud during the day, and everytime you can hear the noise off of their property after midnight. Eventually, they'll quit, get cited, or set your house on fire (good use for a video cam). Get a copy of every police report.

I'd strongly advise against discussing the matter with them in person again. Sounds like you'd be asking to get into a physical altercation. Just go through the police. Clearly, the neighbors are a bit nuts and they've communicated to you that they don't give a crap about your position, so there's really nothing more to discuss.

I've heard of people that just point the speakers out the window at their neighbors (in retaliation), turn them up loud, and go off and have a nice, long dinner. Sounds like that's what they did to you. I'd talk to their other neighbors and see if they want to join you in a complaint to the HOA.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,805 Posts
MaricopaKid said:
Years ago, I owned a condo, and had a similar problem; except I was the guilty party. My wife and I were very young and loved our base-heavy music. One day our next door neighbor (a very sweet, older lady) knocked, and asked if I would come next door. She had 3 or 4 shelves mounted on our common wall with at least 30-40- ceramic figurines. They were vibrating, and "dancing" all over the glass!

I felt terrible to cause this dear lady stress, and promised to cure the problem. I bought a few rolls of compressed cork (about 3/16' or 1/4" X 3' or 4' X about 12'), and glued it to the entire wall. A few boxes of 3 or 4 inch tongue and groove cedar strips, installed at a 45 degree angle, and I had a beautiful wall that eliminated the problem.

I don't know if this is feasible, or will work, but I wish you the best!
The difference is that you cared and wanted to solve the problem. I have never had luck when living in "shared wall" type places as I always end up next to folks like this. In my youth, I was about 25 at the time, I had repeatedly asked my neighbor to tone it down with no success. The next time I had to go over, I intentionally picked a fight and beat the crap out of him. Not a good solution for today but back in the 70s it worked quite well...

·
Registered
635 Posts
BirdMan said:
... I've heard of people that just point the speakers out the window at their neighbors (in retaliation), turn them up loud, and go off and have a nice, long dinner. Sounds like that's what they did to you. ...
The last apartment I lived in, I had problems with the guy upstairs and in the end, he did just that- put all his speakers face down on the floor, cranked the bass up all the way, and left for work. I was working nights at the time- made it really hard to get any sleep. I called the front office to complain- someone came by to shut it off, but- turned out the guy had a pair of pit bulls (not allowed in the complex at all)

I spent the day at a hotel and a week later I bought a house and moved out.

·
Registered
960 Posts
686wheelman said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Black out your face with camo, insert a knife between your teeth, slither in through an open window, and quietly slit the power cord.
:righton:
Another thought would be to crank their amp/receiver to the max so the next time they turn it on, it might blow their woofer. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
I had a an a#$hole neighbor that did the same EXACT thing. The bass was so bad it would make me nauseous. I borrowed a friends stereo..(4 15" sub woofers and an amp) and placed all 4 of them against what I know was his bedroom wall. I turned it on as loud as it would go every time he came home or tried to sleep. He moved about 2 weeks later. :righton:

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
The answer to the problem cost about 300 bucks or so. Buy a generator. When they start getting loud, cut the power to the whole place. then turn on your generator and enjoy your evening :D

Honestly, I have neighbors like that now. Ask Sam Adams, he is a 911 dispatch and gets calls from me all the time. It has finally gotten to the point that the clowns across the street are silent but their children still need to learn...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Me, you, and at least 10 of our friends that have carry permits need to band together and ask him nicely to turn down the music. All at once. OC'ing. Where does he work, btw?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
A bigger sub woofer right next to the wall
a bass test cd
insert bass test cd in to cd player when you are about to leave
turn woofer all the way up
leave

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
InalienablyGreek said:
Me, you, and at least 10 of our friends that have carry permits need to band together and ask him nicely to turn down the music. All at once. OC'ing. Where does he work, btw?
He's already cared to express to me his collection of weaponry... bout the same as yours.

Not sure where he works. I'll have to look at his work truck when his garage is open. Its some plumbing/pool place. The girl/wife (don't kow if they're married) works for a law office while going to KSU.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts