NO ILLEGALS IN MISSOURI! Why?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by CountryGun, Nov 18, 2010.

1. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

2. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

One reason we have so many Hispanics is because Gainesville is the chicken capital of the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gainesville,_Georgia

Anyway, I used to work in the Hall County School System and the Hispanic children were some of the most polite that I encountered.

About English, I firmly believe that if you come to the US, you should be required to learn English...illegal or not.

3. suttree

suttree New Member

I thought the first reader opinion was interesting. I claims to be a post of a letter from a retired border patrol agent.

4. spector

spector New Member

You do realize that will only change government documents right?

That will NOT change the situation when you call a customer service line and they say Press 1 for english, engrese dos para Espanol. Those are free market decisions that companies make based on their potential clients.

Are you really that inconvenienced by there happening to be spanish booklets at the dmv? I think double-printing is costly from a tax perspective, but it is by no means the biggest expense or threat to our liberties.

I have a really hard time understand people's issues with immigrants. Sometimes I think people on this forum are more concerned that "dey dook urrr jobs" and "close tha border!" than gun rights even. As an economist (and the descendant of some Irish immigrants back in the day), it makes NO sense to me. Let them come here, work cheaply, make our goods cheaper, and allow circumvention of minimum wage laws that would otherwise be crippling our economy. Trust me, you don't want to see what the economy would look like if we magically shipped out all the immigrants (illegal and legal) overnight.

5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

[​IMG]

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Please convey that again when you're writing in Arabic.

7. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Oh Lord! I'm not ready for another discussion like that. I'm out.

8. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

... because the Missouri River is harder to swim than the Rio Grande?

9. spector

spector New Member

Seriously? You may as well be threatening me that I will one day be speaking martian.

I have absolutely ZERO concern about a takeover of our country by terrorists, mexicans, china, or any other foreign group used to incite the population as an excuse for more government here. I don't think any of those situations are plausible and I also don't think changing the legal language of the country (which, again, would ONLY change legal documents) would have any affect on those things happening.

I am infinitely more scared that a government bureau of English language would soon become the ministry of truth, defining the meaning of words and creating a "new speak".

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Many immigrants,..Italian, Greek, German, Chinese, and very many others have been assimilated into our culture. All of them learned English. What is unique about Hispanic cultures, and why do I have to turn boxes to find English text? Do they not have the ability to learn English? I don't think so. What makes them so special, and worthy of treatment above any other culture? Don't tell me it is sheer numbers. It's their doing.

11. spector

spector New Member

No, it's the doing of the people making those products. If by "their doing" you mean they have expressed demand and the market has listened, then sure. But if you really have a problem, you should be boycotting all the companies that print their stuff in both languages until they change their policies. Surely you don't want the government to intervene in the free market just because you don't want to see "ahora, en espanol!" printed on the back of a cereal box. I mean, right?

For what it's worth, every time I get anything significant, the instructions are in about 8 languages, not just Spanish. Italian, Greek, German, Japanese, Chinese, etc.

Spanish is actually a fun, easy language to learn. Get yourself some audio tapes and listen to them. Date a hot Spanish-speaking chick (I did, that's what got me learning when I lived in Argentina for a while). Then you can make a game out of reading Spanish on those objects. At the very least, you could tell Spanish speakers to learn English in their own language.

Unless you'd rather just have the government do it for you, because that's what it sounds like you really want.

12. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Regarding the immigrants you mentioned, I think you are seeing the end result of living in the US for three generations. Many of those immigrants you mentioned never learned English; it was their children who learned. Presently, it is much the same way in Mexican communities.

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

As a matter of fact, I do try to learn Spanish, one word at a time. It's difficult for the aged to do.

I object greatly to the Mexican government's insistence that I learn Spanish. That's how I feel when I look at a cereal box! As of yet, our government has not decreed that everyone learn Spanish. Should that happen, I'm on my way to Argentina. I know that it's just good business to pander to the Hispanics. I just wonder why they never saw fit to cater to other cultures that didn't speak English?

14. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

I highly recommend dating that hot Spanish-speaking chick! :righton:
    I did, and today we're married!

BTW, she learned English as an adult, and she thinks that anyone who comes to this country should learn it.

15. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

If I visit another country they sure don't make an effort to change things to fit my language. Why should we? And it's not Immigration that's the problem...it's ILLEGAL immigration. Big difference.

16. spector

spector New Member

12% of the population is significant. I don't think any non English-speaking minority has that many people purchasing goods. Irish, Scottish, and English immigrants would've spoken English, for the most part. In the late 1800's, about 5 million Italians immigrated here, which I believe was the next largest ethnic group. The population of the US in that time was 70+ million, so 5 million (and mostly in one area) was hardly significant compared to the number of Spanish-speakers throughout the US. The fact is that they ARE a huge group and, as such, are driving market forces towards bilingual work and bilingual products. Government can't do anything to stop that (and nor should they!) so you may as well keep up your efforts to learn Spanish and bask in the cheap labor. Also, tequila is delicious (NorCal Margarita, ftw: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/sh ... e-tried-it)

I'm not sure what the Mexican government has to do with it. I mean, I've heard it's their policy to make sure that everyone that lives there speaks Spanish, but do you really want the same for our government? Part of the reason we have so many *illegal* immigrants is that getting in here legally takes damn near forever and is expensive. It's ridiculous. It should be easier if someone wants to come over here and work. I can't imagine adding another step to that process. You will only increase the amount of illegals if you do that.

17. spector

spector New Member

I've actually found foreigners to be quite accommodating with my poor attempts to speak other languages. Even the French.

And I'd be more against "illegal" immigration of it weren't such a pain to come here legally. A Japanese family that is close to my family spent YEARS trying to get citizenship after living here for a couple years. They are some of the best people I know who gave up a lot to come here, they both have jobs and are hard-working members of society. Yet the citizenship thing was one long stressful thing after another, and I believe they almost got deported at one point due to a technicality. It needs to be easier to come here legally, and then perhaps we wouldn't have so many "illegals".

18. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Millions have done. No reason at all everyone else can't.

And yes, foreigners do try to help you out in other countries, especially in Europe. But this is more of an individual basis, not a Nation wide thing.

19. vanguard

vanguard New Member

AMEN brother, I was told last week i could not get a job at a advanced auto parts store because i did not speak spanish, when 97% of my city is english speaking. :screwy:

20. moga

moga New Member

I was going to post a thoughtful comment but realized every time this conversation comes up, the same sympathizers come out on this issue. It's pointless to elaborate beyond simply pointing out the problem most people have. It's not with IMMIGRANTS, okay? Many of us are descendants of immigrants. The problem is with ILLEGALS. The "no habla ingles" problem goes hand in hand with being ILLEGAL, but is secondary in nature. Truthfully speaking, it matters little if a foreign national is from Mexico, Mali, or Monaco. If you want to live in our country, have respect for and abide by our laws and pursue the proper channels. Otherwise you are not welcome here. Period, end of story.

Say it with me friends. ILLEGALS. People that break the most serious of laws upon their first arrival on American soil, the laws of national sovereignty, without pause or reflection. Remember that. ILLEGALS are not driven to become the model citizens that we're led to believe. If they were, they'd go through the process to become Americans that many of our ancestors followed. The resistance of ILLEGALS to speak English belies the notion that many want to become Americans. They want to be recipients of all that America has to give and to be free of law enforcers. That's not the same as living and believing in America and doing every thing one can to encourage her prosperity into the future, is it? Not by a long shot.

I trust I don't have to discuss the implications of our porous border over which most ILLEGALS come in the post nine eleven world in which we live. Nor the strain on our national infrastructure that is brittle and on the brink of crumbling as it is. Or the crime and social frictions that their ILLEGAL ways and behaviors bring along for the ride. Open your eyes for crying out loud. The anti-american narco-terrorists from Sinaloa, Zetas, and others are vying for control of the US black market and their product can cross that border just as easily as a coyote bringing Abuela and the kids. See what's going on in the border states? Can you blame most of us for not wanting that in the interior of the country if we can help it? Your darn skippy people want that border closed! Double-time!

BTW, I formally studied Spanish and Arabic at different points in my life and am not an Anglo. Please let's not insinuate that this is a race issue. ILLEGAL is not a race.