NO GFL yet - Firearm in glove compartiment

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by kestak, May 15, 2007.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I am almost sure of the answer, but just to be safe...:)

I have no GFL yet. Is it legal to have the loaded handgun in his plastic box in the glove compartiment in my car?

Thank you

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The way I read that you are saying you are putting it in a case, then putting the case in the glove box. You can do that, but you can also skip the case all together and just stick the loaded firearm into a closeable glove box (does not have to be lockable).

3. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

As long as you could get a GFL. No drug charges, 21+, not a felon, etc.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, no case needed. Glovebox, center console, or fully open and exposed to view (meaning visible to all onlookers).

You should write a letter to the NRA thanking them for killing HB 89, which would have allowed you to carry anywhere in the car that you chose to carry. Good thing the NRA saved you from that.
    :wink:

(see signature line)

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

It is perfectly legal to carry a firearm in your vehicle in GA provided the vehicle is in plain view, in the trunk, or in the glove compartment provided you are not prohibited from being in possession of a firearm due age or a criminal record that would preclude you from having a weapon anyplace.

I've always thought the rationale of the law failed the common sense test. What makes a firearm so dangerous if it is under the seat or in the console or on the person of the driver in a concealed manner while being concealed in the glove compartment is perfectly okay. :roll:

I hope that I wrote that so that it comes across that I believe the restrictions are stupid and not that concealing a weapon is bad.

6. Malum Prohibitum

It is worse than that. Check out the Gun Laws link (yellow button, above) and select Georgia Case Law. A gun under the seat that is perfectly visible is still concealed. A gun open in the door side pocket is concealed. Why? Because the pocket has no lid. So, if it had a lid, so that the lid concealed the gun, it would not be concealed, but because it had no lid, leaving the gun open, it is concealed.

Did I say that right? :lol:

7. Malum Prohibitum

Interestingly, the way the case law is written (open to the view of all observers - a gun seen by one officer but not the other, on the other side of the car), a gun in a belt holster, openly carried, legal in your home and your place of business, becomes illegal once you step into your car to drive between those two points, because it is not visible to one officer on one side.

:roll:

This law would have been changed, if it were not for the NRA. :x

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

9. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Is this new or am I taking it out of context. This would be difficult not have, of course the semi that was next to you would obstruct view for some of your vehicle :lol: :lol:

10. Malum Prohibitum

:rotfl: I guess that means no camoflauge paint on the car . . . :wink:

11. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Please forgive me. I have a sugared-up three-year-old running wild in the house distracting me. :)

12. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Legacy,

Understood, just had to do it after MP and his taped to your forhead saying.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Like this: :woohoo:

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I thought it was funny. You got me fair and square. :)

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

That would be mild compared to some of her antics today.

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I carried a loaded pistol in my car since I was 18. I'm in my early 20s so that hasn't been that long ago. I was told by a LEO it was legal to put it in your glove box/console once I was 18.

Later, I found out (from this website) that what I was doing was illegal. :shock:

But I do not regrett it because I was almost carjacked by several men. I was told "Give me your car!" as they sourrounded my vehicle. I was over 18 but under 21 at the time. I was within a second of pulling my gun but I was able to get out of there. It felt good knowing I could defend myself.

17. larz

larz New Member

So, as I await my GFL, I can carry in thr center console of my new Tundra (Love it) and I'm OK....however, can I also assume that if I had to use it I'm OK as it pertains to the law of the Use of Deadly Force?

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yes, however the "stand your ground" protections do not apply if you are sitting in a parking lot of a place that is off-limits.

19. Malum Prohibitum

It would have been legal to have it fully open and exposed to view. http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=132