No Firearms Signs----What's the big deal here?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Mighty Hd, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Mighty Hd

Mighty Hd New Member

Maybe I'm wrong as I don't know the GA statues well.

A "No Firearms Allowed" Sign means nothing in Florida. You carry as you are, concealed. End of story. If they ask you to leave, you must.

In GA....someone (can't remember if it was here or wherever) said that GA is basically like FL when it comes to the signs.

Can anyone clarify this?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It's the same. Signs on private businesses (unless off limits for other reasons) have no legal weight in GA. All they can legally do is ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave, you can be charged with tresspassing.

3. Mighty Hd

Mighty Hd New Member

With that in mind why is there such a stir about places you can't carry on here?

Such as banks, (BBT? and the long discussion there), and other places. If the signs have no legal weight, why worry about them?

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Some members prefer to not give their business to companies that don't support their 2nd ammendment rights. I personally would rather do business with a company that doesn't have a problem with my carrying, but will make a concession on it, if the company treats me right otherwise or takes care of me when needed. For example, 'Jared The Galleria Of Jewelery', has posted no firearms allowed, but they remember my wife and I, have quality products at good prices, and have always addressed any minor issue that has come up with our purchases. Today they even replaced a watch that I bought there two years ago, and damaged while on vacation last week. I do and will continue to give them my business, regardless of whether they "allow me" to carry there. I just conceal and go about my business.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

:exactly:

The longer I have been carrying, the fewer and fewer are the places that fall into that catagory. It's down to
    A. I delt with them before I started carrying
    B. it is already off limits by state law
    and though I have none right now, I won't rule out...
    C. I didn't notice the sign the first few times I entered

Even though I carry concealed 99% of the time, I will shop at a store that says it is ok to conceal over a place that says no-firearms.

However if it concerns a bank, some place that I go to weekly and may or may not have cash on me when entering or leaving, then a total ban on customer firearms to me is something that just defies logic.

What, are they afraid you will rob the bank? Then what, turn around and have the same teller deposit the money into your own account? Even if you skipped the deposit and jumped in your get-away car, do you go home? Pretty sure the bank knows where you live and can point the LEOs in that direction.

(It's a thought that came up in relation to Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine. It shows him opening an account at a bank and receiving a shotgun at the bank, he asks if they really think giving out guns at a bank is a good idea. Well it was for opening a CD which the cheapest one was $1000 for 20 years and you still had to pass a NICS check. So what it boiled down to was MM giving out all his information and at least $1000 to receive a $300 shotgun.)

Anyway, the bank already has your money or at the least enough information to track you down, just ask a repo man.

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Many members of the board open carry or don't make a very good effort to conceal on purpose. It is important that they know places that post signs because if they don't they'd be asked to leave when they get there, so it saves them a trip.

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Amusingly enough, the WaHo nearest this weekend's Firearmz training was posted. 7 of us ate there that morning. I wonder how many were carrying...

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Open carry is illegal in Florida so if you are asked to leave there is already a problem.

9. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Just as a note.... I spoke with my personal banker at the BB&T branch where I bank and she stated they have no problem with CC. But prefers you do not open carry since it does bother other customers. Since speaking with her she has been to a shooting range numerous times, I have given her some advice and she is in the process of purchasing a gun and getting her GFL. Secondly, one of the tellers ask for information on carrying guns, which I provided him with several of John Lotts articles and now he is considering a gun as well. So overall good stuff.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

That is pretty good. The "OC bothers people thing" bothers me. "Your kid cries too much in line....I think we shouldn't allow OC of babies.", etc.

But, good stuff otherwise.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, it was ridiculous how much more I worried about printing and/or my shirt riding up when I was in FL. Nice to be back here and getting that OC holster soon.

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

ooh, I hope they ban the OC of babies at banks, libraries, restaruants that serve alcohol and movies.

I am ok with CC of babies, as long as they don't print or otherwise make it known they are concealed to any other customers.

13. Mighty Hd

Mighty Hd New Member

I may be wrong but it seems that this sign deal in GA is a very Gray area.

Some places it applies, others it does not????

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

The only signs you have to worry about are:
    Public Library
    Courthouse
    City Hall
    Police *
    Firehouse
    Sheriff's *
    Bus stop
    Airport
    * Field
    * Arena
    Warning: Drinking alcoholic beverages during pregnancy can cause birth. defects.
    Church
    Synagogue
    Temple
    Mosque
    etc.

There was a guy that came by our table yesterday that refused to believe that signs held no weight in GA. I tried to explain and tell him to research the law, but he didn't seem interested :(

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Places in GA are either off-limits or not off-limits, simple as that, nothing to do with any signs.

Some places that are not off-limits post signs against carrying guns. These signs are merely displaying the wishes of the establishment. You can ignore these signs, they carry no legal weight but you can be asked to leave and you must do it.

Many places in GA that are off-limits do not post signs against carry, these locations are still off-limits. Some off-limits locations do post signs as a warning, these places are already off-limits (nothing to do with the sign) and if you are close enough to read the sign there is already something wrong.