No Firearms Allowed Signs

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Gunstar1, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Athens, Ga
    Georgia Square Mall (no force, Trespassing law if refuse to leave when asked)
    Wachovia Bank (no force, Trespassing law if refuse to leave when asked)

Atlanta, Ga
    Grant Park (no force unless you enter a publicly owned or operated building on the property)
    Chandler Park (no force unless you enter a publicly owned or operated building on the property)
    Georgia Aquarium (places inside that serve alcohol are off limits, however they will wand you before you enter the building)

Buford, Ga
    American Signature Home (no force, trespassing law if you refuse to leave)

Douglasville, Ga
    Regal Cinema 18, Arbor Place Mall (no force, trespassing law if you refuse to leave)

Fayetteville, Ga
    Cinemark Tinseltown (no force, trespassing law if you refuse to leave) The armed robbers must have missed the sign.
    Wachovia Bank (no force, Trespassing law if refuse to leave when asked) (the sign is tiny)

Kennesaw, Ga
    Regal Cinemas, located behind town center mall (no force, trespassing law if you refuse to leave)

Marietta, Ga
    Marietta Square Farmers Market (no force, trespassing law if you refuse to leave)

Rome, Ga
    Downtown post office (Publicly Owned/Operated)
    Floyd Medical Center (Hospitals may be a Public Gathering, possible some may be Publicly Owned/Operated)
    Goodyear/Gemini Service Center (no force, Trespassing law if refuse to leave when asked)
    Coosa Valley Technical College (School)

Stone Mountain, Ga
    Stone Mountain Park (loophole in law allows this to be a civil offense)

Six Flags over Georgia (no weapons inside the park, at the gate inform them you are a license holder and they will secure the weapon until you leave the park)

Wachovia Bank's corporate policy (no force, Trespassing law if refuse to leave when asked)

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have been looking as I drive, just saw one at a post-secondary Technical Institute.

It is typically a black snub-nose revolver, inside a red or black circle with a line through it. I have seen them both in window sticker at the door and metal signage at the entrance to the parking lot.

Hospital and Goodyear were window stickers beside the front door.
    Post office and Tech. College were signs at the parking lot entrance.

3. 1818

1818 New Member

A private business can ask you to leave if your carrying a firarm and you MUST comply so long as someone in person asked you to leave who is the owner or an agent of the owner (security guard at the mall), if you choose not to leave after being asked to do so, you can be charged with criminal tresspassing. You cannot however be charged with any firearms violation for carrying into a business that has a sign out side, there is no georgia law that says a sign is as good as an in person warning at a private business or residence.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I took my wife to Cinemark Tinseltown in Fayetteville two weeks ago, and, sure enough, they had the firearm sign with the slash through it.

I ignored the sign and went in to watch the movie, as I was breaking no law of which I am aware (I will let someone else sort out whether a theater is a public gathering).

This is the same theater on the cover of the AJC today for the standoff with the robber. I guess he did not see the sign. Maybe if they posted it more prominently . . . :D

5. SVision

SVision New Member

another place with a "no guns" sign is the Regal Cinemas in kennesaw. (located just behind the town center mall)

the sign is very small, maybe 2" by 8" wide, listed on the side of the ticket counter outside the store and it reads, "no firearms, or concealed carried firearms are allowed on these premises".

i just happened to be standing to the side of the ticket counter and was reading misc stuff, and this was buried in a sticker they have. this doesnt change my stance on if i will carry at that theater, just if i let them see it or not.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Grant Park

and Chandler Park

See "No Carry in City Parks" post in Places Off Limits

These are in Atlanta. :roll:

7. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

My company has a no weapons sign in english and spanish at its entrances. Everyday, I walk in and tell the security guard that I expect him to take a bullet for me but don't worry "we got a sign". The old guy laughs (he's a gun guy). The young LEO wannabee with the gold badge hanging from his neck gets disturbed. Especially, when I point my fingers at my chest and act like i'm shooting.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Yellow River Park in Gwinnett County!
    :)

9. Malum Prohibitum

Home Depot Headquarters, Atlanta address but in Cobb County.

Home Depot allows carry at their stores, though, as long as you are not an employee, so this affects only those who work there or have business at the Headquarters building. They also claim the parking lots (and entire property at headquarters) off limits.

I carry all the time in their stores, and I have never experienced a problem (well, except the level of service seems to be dropping off from what it was several years ago - it seems like they used to hire people who were enthusiastic and knew about the areas of the store in which they worked but now hire anybody and they just don't care).

10. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Athens, Ga
    Georgia Square Mall - Saw small sign near one entrance and found the rule on their website (#20 on the list)
    Wachovia - I saw a small sign on the door. From what I understand all wachovias have these signs.

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

MP,

I haven't been to the Marietta Square Farmer's Market. Is it on privately controlled property? The directions don't really say, and the name implies it might be on public property (which would beg the question of the enforceability of the no firearms rule).

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

From reading the rules it said the "owner of the farmers market", which would imply private, but I am not sure. So I added it to the list as a no force/trespassing on private property.

Public or private I think it is just shy of being a public gathering.

13. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Well, if the attorney general says a shopping mall is not a public gathering, I would not expect an open air market to be a public gathering, either.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Thats what I figured too, just remember that is an unofficial opinion. As it says at the end, the opinion "..should be considered as information only."

15. Malum Prohibitum

What is confusing about attorney general opinions is that they are not binding on courts, so I am not sure of their value for us.

Remember, too, that Mike Bowers, when he was attorney general, gave an opinion that said firearms licenses allowed carry only openly and not concealed. In response, the legislature quickly added a few words "may be concealed" to the statute. A quick check of caselaw prior to issuing that decision would have shown that courts interpreted it to allow concealed carry prior to his opinion. I also wonder, even without the caselaw, exactly how Mr. Bowers thinks I could have my handgun in my "briefcase" and still have it openly carried rather than concealed?

What is shocking to me is how often attorney general opinions appear to be so obviously wrong. The AG opinion on the 60 day timeline in 16-11-129 is a more blatant example. I think that was from before Mike Bowers was AG.

16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Gunstar1: The only difference between and official opinion and an unofficial opinion in GA is that an official opinion is rendered at the request of a department head or the governor, and an unofficial opinion is given at the request of someone else (e.g., a judge, prosecutor, etc.). I have not found that they carry any different weight or effect.

MP: I agree that an AG opinion is not binding on a court, but I have in the back of my mind (I couldn't find support based on a quick search) that AG opinions are binding on the state and its departments. To me, that means that a DA or solicitor could not take a position in a criminal prosecution that was inconsistent with the AG opinion. So, in the example with the Marietta Square Farmer's Market, if there were a prosecution for carrying a weapon at a public gathering, I think the state would be bound by the opinion that a shopping mall is not a public gathering, and that the state would have to drop the prosecution or try to distinguish a farmer's market from a shopping mall. Again, this house of cards I've built is premised on the belief that the state is bound by the opinions, and I did not find immediate support for that belief. Does that sound familiar to you?

17. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Well, I think I'll have to retract my belief. I did a little more searching, and it looks like AG opinions are not binding on the state in GA. I must have been thinking about another state's law, because I'm pretty sure I didn't make it up. Anyway, it looks like a GA AG opinion is not much more than interesting reading. Of course, when you are sponsoring interesting reading as your best source that backs up your position, it changes its name to persuasive authority.

18. Malum Prohibitum

You can always preface your argument with, "It is axiomatic that . . ." or "As every first year law student knows . . ." or "It is standard hornbook law that . . . " and then follow up with the attorney general opinion by stating, "Why, even the attorney general agrees with this rather basic proposition . . ."

:lol:

When there is no support for a position, it is better to just argue louder.

19. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

Repost

Sign taken at Regal theater.

[​IMG]

Orginally 2 pics. I used an overlay to try to join them into one.