No charges against off-duty officer in Costco shooting

Discussion in 'In the News' started by phantoms, Sep 27, 2019.

1. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I remembered a thread on another Costco incident, but this is a different one. couldn't find a thread on it.

Rest of story at https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/25/us/calfornia-costco-shooting-no-charges/index.html.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Wow, shot an unarmed man and both of his parents, in California, and walks, no charges. The only question is whether the grand jury would have given a local vigilante the same benefit of the doubt after shooting three unarmed persons.

3. Malum Prohibitum

4. Malum Prohibitum

The parents of a man fatally shot in the back by an off-duty LAPD officer inside a Corona Costco, who themselves were wounded by the gunfire, expressed disgust at the Riverside County district attorney’s decision not to charge the cop, saying they were unarmed and moving a good distance away.
    . . .
    “Salvador Sanchez was clearly wrong, as he was not in imminent danger to fire 10 shots at an entire unarmed family, and that was clear, even in the grainy, poor-quality video,” said Paola French, who was hit by Sanchez’s first shot.
    . . .
    . . . the district attorney said the officer believed that the blow to the back of his head delivered by Kenneth French was a gunshot and that he was under attack . . .
    https://www.latimes.com/california/...-costco-shooting-furious-at-district-attorney

5. Malum Prohibitum

The same link says that the video does not show officer Sanchez. The family being shot and dropping is on the video, but not Sanchez. The scuffling is the father pushing his son away from Sanchez . . .

This really leads me to wonder how much benefit a badge bought this guy with the grand jury . . .

6. Malum Prohibitum

Quote from the family's attorney, who is filing a lawsuit, "If anyone else shot three people in the back from a distance, they would have been arrested,” Galipo said. “If it was anyone other than a police officer, it would have been prosecuted.”

7. Malum Prohibitum

Paola French, according to Galipo, saw her son deliver more more of a push than a strike to Sanchez. Both parents then saw the officer draw his 9-millimeter handgun and begged him not to shoot, they said, as their son screamed about his intellectual disability. Kevin French, Kenneth’s brother, said the video shows his father trying to deescalate the situation.
    . . .
    . . . without any kind of exchange, investigators say, Kenneth French struck Sanchez in the back of the head and officer fell while holding his son. Sanchez responded by drawing his gun and firing.

A bullet went through Paola French’s back and exited her stomach. She was left in a coma for a prolonged period of time and has had seven surgeries. Russell French was shot in the abdomen and also has had multiple surgeries, including one to remove his kidney, according to a legal claim filed on behalf of the family. Kenneth French was hit three times in the back and once in the side, prosecutors say.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/...-costco-shooting-furious-at-district-attorney

8. Malum Prohibitum

Is anybody buying this story, I thought he shot me in the back of the head?

And then he just started spraying rounds into the family (missing all off them four times) into their backs as they are moving away from him (this much the video clearly shows).

Reminds me of the handicapped parking case tried recently, but about ten times worse . . .

9. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

The whole thing smells like poop to me, but being the father of a 19 year old profoundly autistic young man, I am hardly impartial.
    I've said many times that one day I will probably be shot by a person with a badge and a gun while trying to protect my son from said person.

10. Malum Prohibitum

I am just having a really hard time buying his claim that, after being hit (or pushed) in the head from behind, that he thought he had been shot.

It sounds like a desperate lie to present when he calmed down after shooting three unarmed persons because one of them shoved him to the ground for no reason while he was holding his son.

The whole thing sounds to me like he was out of control angry and shot them, all of them.

Just my speculation based upon what I read.

Keep in mind I thought the same thing about the parking lot handicap spot shooter, who did the same thing to a retreating man after the deceased pushed him to the ground. It is really almost the same situation, except in this case three persons were shot, almost entirely in the back, after enough time had passed for them to beg him not to shoot. The whole thing just sounds rotten, and I have no doubt a California grand jury would have sent you or me off to be sodomized in prison if the exact same circumstances were presented, but with no LAPD badge.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

If that's not rhetorical...........

12. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

100% Truth.