Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the gun vote is in play. Governor Perdue could also try a similar stunt but with the Probate Courts ignoring the law, he won't get approved until after Georgia Presidential Primary (3/4/08).

From the Santa Fe New Mexican.
"Governor gets license to pack
By DAVID MILES | The New Mexican
April 22, 2006

Legislators and lobbyists beware â€" Gov. Bill Richardson has just received a license to carry a concealed handgun.

Richardson spokesman Gilbert Gallegos said the governor picked up his license at Friday’s dedication of expanded facilities at the New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy on the city’s south side.

The governor successfully completed all the requirements for obtaining a license, including a criminal background check and a firearms-training course, Gallegos said. “He aced the test,†the spokesman said.

Richardson owns a GLOCK pistol, Gallegos said. But Richardson’s veto pen likely will remain his most dangerous weapon around the Roundhouse because the governor says he doesn’t plan to pack heat.

Richardson, who describes himself as an avid hunter, said he applied for the license to lend his support to concealed-carry measures. “I just wanted to symbolically show my support for concealed carry,†he said. “I don’t anticipate carrying one.â€

Richardson, who was flanked by state police officers from his security detail during an interview Friday, said personal safety wasn’t a factor in his decision to apply for a concealed-handgun license.

In 2003, Richardson signed into law a measure letting New Mexicans apply for licenses to carry concealed, loaded handguns. Requirements for applicants include completing a firearms-training course of at least 15 hours and submitting a $100 application fee and fingerprints for a criminal background check.

The law bars convicted felons, those judged to be mentally incompetent, alcoholics and drug addicts from receiving a concealed-handgun license. The prohibition also applies to people under indictment for felonies and those who have been convicted of certain misdemeanors related to violence, drunken driving or drug abuse.

Last year, Richardson signed another law lowering the minimum age of license applicants from 25 to 21 and extending the term of the license from two years to four years. The 2005 law also requires a two-hour refresher-firearms course two years after receiving a new or renewed license.

In addition to receiving his new concealed-handgun license, Richardson applied this year for a license to hunt elk. “I’m a hunter; I’m a sportsman,†he said Friday.

Contact David Miles at 986-3036 or [email protected]."

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hate to say this, but I'd be impressed if he actually did carry. Any jackoff poltician can get a CHL to show solidarity with gun owners and then do whatever later on.

Now if he was like TR and always had several pistols available to him at all times, then I'd be impressed. But let's face it TR is one hell of a high standard for todays politicians.

I'm just skeptical I guess.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
He may not actually carry, but he looks better than any of the others who've announced so far. Maybe there is hope.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Richardson, who was flanked by state police officers from his security detail during an interview Friday, said personal safety wasn’t a factor in his decision to apply for a concealed-handgun license."
Duh.

·
68,657 Posts
When Richardson opened it up for questions, town moderator Richard Rock didn't opt for politely raising his hand. He stood up, shouted, "right here!" and fired off a question about gun control. "We're very keen on our gun rights," he said.

Richardson, who ranks high with the National Rifle Association, said he respects the second amendment, but there must be better, faster background checks and restriction on convicted criminals and the mentally ill. Satisfied, Rock sat down, remarking the governor was right in line with the NRA.
http://campaignsandelections.com/NH/articles/?ID=350

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
So tell me why I shouldn't vote for Bill Richardson?
Because he only partially likes freedom. Don't get me wrong....he is a good candidate....but how can you compete with a quote like:
Ron Paul said:
I am just absolutely convinced that the best formula for giving us peace and preserving the American way of life is freedom, limited government, and minding our own business overseas.
Ron Paul on the Issues

Oh, and most here will probably have a beef with Richardson's approach to immigration. [Hint: he want to let them pay their way in]

As opposed to Dr. Ron Paul...
* Physically secure our borders and coastlines. We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we undertake complicated immigration reform proposals.
* Enforce visa rules. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that a number of 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.
* No amnesty. Estimates suggest that 10 to 20 million people are in our country illegally. That’s a lot of people to reward for breaking our laws.
* No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.
* End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.
* Pass true immigration reform. The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.
That's why...and much more...

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
* End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.
Until the Constitution is amended, I oppose this. I assume that Dr. Paul doesn't want to ignore the Constitution?
As Dr. Paul is a very by the book [constitution] kind of guy, I can only assume that he means he would favor an amendment to the USC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts