·
68,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now what do you think will happen to the inferior who arrested him? :shock:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/p ... 1/70515011

Wall police captain acquitted of DUI

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Associated Press

RED BANK … A Wall Township police captain whose nomination to become chief of the department was yanked after an underling charged him with drunken driving was acquitted Monday.

Bernard Sullivan was found not guilty in a municipal court trial that had been moved to Red Bank to remove the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Municipal Court Judge William Himelman said Sullivan's lawyer created reasonable doubt as to whether Sullivan was drunk when he was pulled over on Jan. 27 by Patrolman Todd Verrecchia.

Red Bank Municipal Prosecutor James N. Butler, who said the police captain's breathalyzer reading was .19 … more than twice the legal limit of intoxication … was incredulous at the verdict.

Å¡I just don't understand it,â„¢ he said Monday afternoon. Å¡Once we get a .19, how do you just say he's not guilty? That's saying you don't believe the (arresting) police officer.â„¢

An after-hours message left for the judge was not immediately returned Monday afternoon.

Sullivan's lawyer, James Fagan, did not immediately return a call seeking comment Monday.

Verrecchia had testified that he observed Sullivan run a red light at intersection of Route 35, crossing in front of Verrecchia's patrol car and nearly colliding with another car on the highway.

Testimony at the trial indicated the two men had clashed several times before. Verrecchia is part of a pending lawsuit accusing Wall Township and several police officials with violating officers' privacy by placing a hidden camera in the locker room in an attempt to find out who had been placing racially hostile notes in the locker of a minority officer.

Sullivan also had disciplined Verrecchia in the past, according to testimony.

After spending time at two area bars, Sullivan was pulled over by a Manasquan police officer, but let off with a warning, according to testimony. Shortly afterward, when he arrived in Wall, Verrecchia pulled him over and charged with drunk driving.

Post a Comment View All Comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE NEEDS TO INVESTIGATE THIS JUDGE IMMEDIATELY. YOU CANT FOOL THE NEW BREATH TEST. THE ALCOTEST7110 IS FOOLPROOF. IT TAKES 2 SEPERATE SAMPLES AND RUNS THEM THROUGH TWO TOTALLY SEPERATE DIFFERENT MACHINES. THE MACHINES ARE TOTALLY MECHANICALLY DIFFERENT AND ANALYZE THE BREATH SAMPLES SEPERATELY. THE MACHINE WILL SHUT DOWN IF IT SENSES ALCOHOL ON THEIR LIPS. THE MANASQUAN COP PROBABLY CUT THE GUY A BREAK. SO WHAT IF THE ARRESTING OFFICER AND THE CAPTAIN HAD A FALLING OUT IN THE PAST. A .19 IS A .19. THIS JUDGE NEEDS TO BE INVESTIGATED IMMEDIATLY. I AM NOT A COP HATER BUT WHAT IS FAIR IS FAIR. START CALLING NJ 101.5 AND COMPLAINING ON THE AIR.

Posted by: BigRed1996 on Tue May 15, 2007 10:41 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judge Himelman needs to be investigated for this one...

Posted by: traveler on Tue May 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Why is everyone B*tching about the cops when it was the judge that let him off? The other cop tried to do his job. That's usually how it goes, the cops try to put them away and the judges set them loose. And I agree, enough with the pigs remark, chances are if he had been found guilty of anything he would have lost his job which is rarely the case when a civilian is found guiltly of a crime. Did you not read the article about the officer who got 180 days and lost his job and pension for stealing a lousy $500.? Anyone else would have gotten probation, and had no employment repercussions. Give it a rest cop bashers!

Posted by: vintagedollz on Tue May 15, 2007 6:32 pm

Well Fatboy I would not hold the good guys responsable the the bad.But behind every bad cop is a judge who will mop up their mess,First we should hold judges responsible for irresponsible behavior. I don't think the arresting officer is bad either, he had the balls to arrest his superior and make the charge's. He may not be a good old boy, But a credit to the uniform. No matter what his beef if he were at at fault in a prior incident with the cheif he would have been gone by now. It dosnt take rocket science to see who has the power down there.

Posted by: barrycarpol on Tue May 15, 2007 4:32 pm

We will gladly give the brave an honest their due ... but until they all obey the law, those good ones, should eb ashamed and do something about it .

It is always amazing how a law is changed or a posted speed limit suddenly found to be posted wrong, when the offender is a police officer.

This is a travesty of justice, the judge and captain should both be severely disciplined and removed from their jobs ... this is way more offensive tome than what that old jerk IMus said ... where is all the outrage on television news covering this ??

If there was reaonable doubt about a .19, then then they must think the officer who gave the test was lieing ... if so he should be arrested and dismissed ... one thing for sure ... you won't read about it in this paper ...

Posted by: FatBoy90 on Tue May 15, 2007 4:20 pm

As with any proffession there are folks who don't belong. I have had good and bad experiences with both State Police and local Police. We jump a band wagon and persicute the entire force and all uniformed officers.cause it makes us feel better to rebel from a key board. Truth be known there are some very dedicated people in these proffessions. You cant hold them all accountable,for the actions of a few. THATS PROFILING.

Posted by: barrycarpol on Tue May 15, 2007 3:47 pm

Stories like this make me sick!! He was obviously doing something
wrong to warrant being pulled over before the red light incident
He blows a .19 but there's reasonable doubt? Come on now.

I guess when the blood results for officer Villanova of Greenwich
come back showing he was intoxicated, there will be reasonable
doubt about him hitting a parked car and then ramming into a house.

Oh yeah, by the way, how long does it take for results to come back?
it's been about 7 weeks now. If the average Joe did that, they would have his results a heck of a lot sooner don't you think?

For those who didn't read that article, here's a snip-it:

Greenwich cop's vehicle rams home
March 26, 2007 •• 520 words •• ID: chr65708210
Courier-Post Staff GREENWICH An off-duty township police officer crashed his vehicle into a parked car and then a family's house early Sunday morning, causing considerable property damage. Officer Kevin Villanova, 34, of Greenwich, may have been intoxicated when he drove his dark gray 2000 Jeep Wrangler off the road at around 12:45 a.m. while headed west on East Broad Street, Police Chief Jeffrey Godfrey said in a prepared statement.

Where's the follow up story?

Posted by: tyrone_blue on Tue May 15, 2007 3:16 pm

police officers are only guilty when you catch them on videotape and release to the whole world to see. and then, they have to be charged in federal court on civil rights charges.

cops are above the law, or haven't you figured that out yet.

Posted by: thorny on Tue May 15, 2007 1:41 pm

What does he have to do? Kill someone? Maybe then he will be found guilty

Posted by: BUBBLEBUSTER.... on Tue May 15, 2007 1:30 pm

Only in NJ. He blew a .19 for God's sake!

A few more verdicts such as this and this Judge will be fast tracked on to the State Supreme Court. He'd fit right in with those fools!

Posted by: fredp0444 on Tue May 15, 2007 1:21 pm

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
regardless of the past history of the two, I believe the police should be held to the same standards as everybody else. we are all people having to face the same laws.

I have has friends killed by DUI drivers. More than once! This is one of the areas I just dont have tolerance for. To many options available if you would like to drink like that.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
There is a lot the article doesn't address. On what basis did the judge make his ruling? What evidence was introduced by the defense? If the stop itself was tainted the rest of the evidence would be tainted as well.

The article mentions a breathalyzer reading. I'm not sure about up there, but GA law only allows a positive or negative reading for alcohol from a breathalyzer, which is a different from the intoxalyzer. People misuse the terms all of the time though; so, that could have happened in the article.

This one is bad all around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts