Night Sights

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by viper32cm, Sep 11, 2007.

1. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

I've decided that instead of picking up some more guns I'm going to try to make the guns I have into better fighting implements.

I do not have night sights on any of my handguns and I want to remedy this soon.

What style and what brand night sights should I get. I've heard great things about Trijicon and I also see the names TruGlo, Meprolight, and others come up a lot.

I'm going to need someone to install them for me too. Is there a good one stop shop (sights and smith) in Atlanta?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I carried Trijicon for many years. I did knock them out twice, but I tend to be hard on equipment as a matter of course. I was happy with them, but I have not tried other brands.

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Most of mine have Trijicons on them. I love them. You can get them with contrasting colors too so the front and rear are different. This makes them a little quicker to pick up and align. I can't tell much difference between the Mepros and the Trijicons to be honest. I am interested in the TruGlos but have not seen them in person.

Don't know about ATL but in Athens, Clyde Armory rules. It is on the west side. They keep Trijicons for Glocks in stock. They buy them in bulk and sell for $69 installed. That is really hard to beat. Takes about 15 minutes to install.

4. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

$69 you say, that'd be worth the trip. I think adventure outdoors quoted me $100 last year.

5. VolGrad

Opticsplanet usually has decent prices too but by the time you pay for shipping and to have them installed you easily run the price up. I had to order the last set I had installed because I wanted the contrasting colors. IIRC I paid $85 plus shipping, then another $20 to install. I won't do that again.

Clyde all the way. They are kind of hard to find so if you need directions PM me. They are about 5 mins from my house.

The $69 is for green front and rear.

6. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I've got Meprolights on a couple of guns and Trijicon on one. I believe the Meps are slightly brighter.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I like my Triji's

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I was very happy with the Ameriglo's that were in my G17 that I usd to have. The used Trijicon tubes.

9. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I put Kimber's night sights (mepro) on mine. The main reason i chose my particular sights was the rounded edges that will help keep from snagging on clothing. I love em. I installed em myself and the fit is very tight. I don't worry about knocking em loose.

10. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Trijicon makes a good tritium insert but as for the sights they are nothing special. They set to low and the gap in the rear is to narrow, same for meprolights also. Look at the Sevigny Carry, Warren Tactical, and 10-8 sights. These offer you a lot better sight picture, easier to see and come in straight 8 design.

I also have XS Big Dots on a few guns and like them as well.

11. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I have Triji's on my XD. Even put them on myself, although if I had to do it over I wouldn't.

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Which XD do you have and how do you carry? I'm looking to get some night sights for my XD40SC.

13. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

XD-9 4" Service and I carry with the Done Hume P.C.C.H. and I just recently purchased a Blackhawck CQC for OC but I am not sold on that yet.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Into what sights do you install them?

15. larz

larz Member

Have Tijicons on my XD9SC.....slide is currently at Tijicon for warranty work (I hope) on the front sight, I just noticed it was not luminating this past weekend :cry: .

16. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Trijicon wil install their viles in just about any sight for you. Most major manufacturers have either Meprolight ot Trijicon viles anyway.

17. VolGrad

I still can't decide for sure what the Sig factory NS are? I have heard from a few sources that the more recent ones are Mepros but I can not confirm this. On both my 226 and 229 there is no name brand but a MH3 marking IIRC. I tried to cross ref this with compatible NS from both Trijicon and Mepro and neither matched. Does anyone know for sure the answer to this question? I can't tell any difference at all between these and all the Trijicons I have on my Glocks and my Beretta.

18. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

The later generation is definitely Mepro.

19. VolGrad

Good to know. I thought they were but just wasn't sure. In that case, I really can't tell any difference between them and the Trijicons. If anything, the white circle might be slightly smaller on the Mepros. But then, I haven't measured them.

20. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Personally I like the straight 8 design, with a large white ringed tritium front, small/dimmer and no ring in the rear or no rear tritium at all. In low light your eyes are drawn to the brightest glow in the line of vision, I want to be drawn to the front sight. So like on my SIG I have taken a Sharpie and colored the rear black which makes it a very dull glow.