Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.thegunwriter.com/22595/trump-has-been-easing-obama-era-gun-restrictions/

• He narrowed the definition of "fugitive," a change that cuts the number of people who'll be included in a database designed to keep firearms from people who are barred from owning them.
  • Federal officials have also signaled that they may no longer defend the Army Corps of Engineers' ban on carrying loaded firearms and ammunition on federal lands.
  • Trump signed a bill that killed an Obama-era regulation that required the government to add to the no-buy list people whom the Social Security Administration has deemed eligible for mental disability payments.
  • He lifted restrictions on hunting on federal lands in Alaska.
  • Interior Secretary Zinke canceled a ban on the use of lead ammunition on federal lands.
  • An additional 11 Obama-era non-2A regulations through the rarely invoked Congressional Review Act, which allows lawmakers and a new president to reverse regulations imposed recently by a previous president.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts
Nope, on this Trump sure ain't Hitler. Trump was allowing more, Hitler did not.

Nemo

http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/quotes-on-gun-control/

“The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.†6

6 Hitler’s Secret Conversations, trans. Norman Cameron and R. H. Stevens, Signet Books, 1961, 403

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
The 2A is suspended in his presence, including at the NRA convention. Because gun free zones work.....

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Is carry really prohibited at the NRA convention?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Just at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum, at which Trump will be speaking.
How exactly are they going to do that? Put in metal detectors and expect every single gun toter with a ticket to the forum to go to their cars to store their guns? I have feeling the Secret Service doesn't care about the logistics as long as they can keep out guns. I doubt they are going to have a secure place to conveniently store guns for attendees.

I'm sick of the suspension of Constitutional rights just to make their job easier. If they are worried about someone shooting Trump, then they just need to put a bullet-proof booth around him.

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
I'm sick of the suspension of Constitutional rights just to make their job easier. If they are worried about someone shooting Trump, then they just need to put a bullet-proof booth around him.
Perhaps the SS can ask to borrow Pope Francis' popemobile. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
The issue isn't Trump, it's the "president." The President and Vice-President are mandated by law to have full time Secret Service protection. They can't decline it unless you can convince Congress to amend 18 USC 3056.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,584 Posts
How exactly are they going to do that? Put in metal detectors and expect every single gun toter with a ticket to the forum to go to their cars to store their guns? ...
Yes, that's exactly what they'll do.

I had to take my car-key sized knife /nail file/ mini-screwdriver off my key chain and either surrender it (forever) to the Secret Service or walk it back to my vehicle and leave it there, back when I attended a Mike Pence rally last year.

(I didn't even TRY to carry my handgun-- I knew that would be a no-go).

·
Registered
580 Posts
So here is my question.

Trump will be speaking at the Leadership forum on Friday which is in Hall A. The exhibits (which is really the only thing I plan on visiting) is in Hall B, will only Hall A be off limits to firearm possession or will both Halls A and B be off limits?

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
The issue isn't Trump, it's the "president." The President and Vice-President are mandated by law to have full time Secret Service protection. They can't decline it unless you can convince Congress to amend 18 USC 3056.
The President can instruct the SS, which reports to him, that they must not violate the 2A as they execute that task. But he won't...

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,584 Posts
When I went to see Mike Pence last year, the entire wing of the building that he was in was guarded by Secret Service (along with ATF, State Police, and many local police officers and deputies). Not just the room, but the big room, the little room, the hallway, and probably the stairway on that side of the building, too.

Everybody got courthouse / airport style screening. Coats off, belts off, (I think we could keep on our shoes, though). All bags and personal stuff was inspected.

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
The President can instruct the SS, which reports to him, that they must not violate the 2A as they execute that task. But he won't...
Trump can instruct the SS all he wants. They have their procedures in place and for them to nullify those procedures to make you and I happy campers isn't going to happen. They would be violating their mandated mission and could be held criminally liable should the president be hurt or killed.

You know what? I can live with that mandate. No Head of State dictates his security measures to those responsible for his security. We've been around long enough to know that any person can be gotten to, security or not.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Trump can instruct the SS all he wants. They have their procedures in place and for them to nullify those procedures to make you and I happy campers isn't going to happen.
This is avoidance.

They would be violating their mandated mission and could be held criminally liable should the president be hurt or killed.
And this is some crap you just made up.

·
Registered
14,960 Posts
This is avoidance.
The only avoidance is your wanting the SS to avoid carrying out their statutorily defined presidential protection mandate so that gun owners can carry a firearm in close proximity to a president. That will never happen. There are too many lunatics out there that would like to harm the president, especially after the last election.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.